XMBC start

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
mouseman
New User

XMBC start

Post by mouseman »

Hello,

having installed v.2.1.0, I experience an annoying behaviour of XMBC: Starting XMouseButtonControl.exe from an already fully started PC, everything is fine (i.e. only the tray icon reappears), but the automatic start as part of the start process of the PC always "produces" XMBC's setup window popping up.
V. 1.52 didn't show that problem.
Start entry is --> XMouseButtonControl.exe /notportable, via Autostart folder.

Neither the settings nor the manual seem to contain a solution.
Can you help?

Many thanks in advance

AMD Phenom 9500 2.2 GHz
phil
Site Admin

Re: XMBC start

Post by phil »

Hi,

You must be trying to run the exe twice (or maybe windows is). It only opens the setup window if its already running.

You didnt tell me what OS your running, on Windows Vista and later, a service starts XMBC normally. Have you also got it in your startup folder or registry?

Thanks
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Oh, and the log files should help you see any second instance of XMBC starting up.

If your on Windows Vista or later, having the thing in the autostart folder is the problem because its started by the service launcher (to make sure its running with the highest privileges available required to operate properly in elevated applications)

I will stop speculating further until you provide the log and OS details/specs :)
--[ Phil ]--
mouseman
New User

Post by mouseman »

Hi Phil,

Wow, that's a quick reply, indeed (didn't believe my eyes at first)!
Well, as I specified below my message, I am running Win7 32bit, and from your replies, I derive that this is already the answer: If the service started by XMBC does already provide the tray icon (didn't know that so far), the autostart entry results in a second start, indeed.
But then: Why does the 2.1 installation provide the autostart entry (I didn't enter it manually)?
However, I'll delete the autostart entry, and supposedly this will bring the solution.
If not, I'll report it here, otherwise thank you very much for your immediate help!
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK no problem, I missed the bit about windows 7 in your post (I was obviously too quick to reply :))
I don't know why the installer would put an autostart entry it, that should only happen on XP which does not use the service. Very strange.

Hopefully once you remove it all will be OK.

The reason 1.5x didn't have this problem is that it never opened the setup dialog automatically. The reason for that to change in v2.0 was many people did not know that XMBC was automatically running and did not know how to configure it, so I made the second run automatically open the config screen. Its only caught two people out so far (someone else had the same as you, two things starting XMBC).

Thanks,
Phil

PS. I'm out of here in a minute so further replies will be slower :)
--[ Phil ]--