Problems in setting Mouse Buttons under Win7 64-Bit

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
pope5

Problems in setting Mouse Buttons under Win7 64-Bit

Post by pope5 »

Hello,

I run XMBC Version 1 for a longer time under Win7 64-bit and it worked.

Now I installed the new version 2.0 in a different folder. I booted my pc and first it seems to run. As I had some problems with other programs I deinstalled XMBC and reinstalled it different times into different folders. (Now it is installed only in one folder!)

Now I am at the point, that it does not work as specified. What I recognize is, that when I set in layer 1 button 4 and 5 to "Open Explorer at a specific folder" (and of course specify the folder) and in layer 2 button 4 to {F9} and button 5 to "run a specific program" (and specify the program) and apply these definitions, close the setup menue and reopen it again, I see for button 4 and 5 only the text "Open Explorer at specified folder" followed by a special character, but not the folders I specified and for layer 2 I still see for button 4 "Simulated Keys (pressed){F9} . Button 5 shows "Run Application" but does not show the application selected.

When I press the appropriate buttons, the specified folders are opened and the specified program is started. However, sometimes I also got problems here, but I cannot yet tell, when exactly theses occure.

Due to these problems I have deleted all occurences of xmouse in the users folder and I have also checked and corrected the registry by means of the program ccleaner. But nothing helps.

I attach 2 screenshots which show, how the setup menue looks like.

Thank you for your help

pope5

PS: I do not find, how to upload or attach the 2 screenshot pictures. Can somebody advise me hot to do that? )
phil
Site Admin

Re: Problems in setting Mouse Buttons under Win7 64-Bit

Post by phil »

Hi, it sounds like you have found a bug. I will add it to the list to investigate and fix. Thanks for the detailed explanation.

You cant add pictures until you have a minimum number of posts. I think its 5 or maybe 2. This is because spam bots kept posting nasty pictures and hyper-links.

Thanks
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
pope5

Post by pope5 »

Hello Phil,

can I send the screenshots per email directly to you?

And one more thing: can you please tell me something to my other post

switching layers by a mouse click on xmbc tray icon
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=633

Regards

Peter
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I thought I had replied to your other post already. sorry
The only way to switch layers from the tray icon is the context menu. There is no click action other than right click to open the context menu and double click to open the setup dialog.
Sorry

As for email, you can send them to me phil@highfrez.co.uk or you might find that you can add attachments here now (or maybe by PM) as you have made a few posts.
--[ Phil ]--
pope5

Post by pope5 »

Hello Phil,

due to the information, that I cannot switch the layers by klicking LMB the try icon, I additionally defined for XMBC under settings -> global Hotkeys the following:

Switch to Layer 1: CTRL+Shift+F1
Switch to Layer 2: CTRL+Shift+F2
Switch to Layer 3: CTRL+Shift+F3

Next Layer: CTRL+Shift+cursor to right
Previous Layer: Ctrl+Shift+cursor to left

and now, when I click in layer 1 mouse button 4 or 5, windows explorer opens, but not longer in the defined folder. It opens the folder C:\windows\system32! And under layer 2 nothing happens when I press the mouse button to start a program.

And pressing CTRL+SHIFT and then cursor left or right has no effect at all.

I hope this helps solving the problem.I you need special informations, please let me know, that I can provide it to you.

Regards

Peter

PS: the 2 screenshoft have been sent to your mail address.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK I got the emails, thanks.

It seems your very good at finding bugs, I can confirm that the global hotkey CTRL+SHIFT+LEFT / CTRL+SHIFT+RIGHT is not working for me either, it works with other keys, just not those ones. I will add it to the list and investigate it.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I've just updated the beta for version 2.1.
It should fix the problem with the folders and applications going missing from the setup screen for the different layers.

Details are here. Give it a try and let me know.

I have not been able to figure out why the CTRL+SHIFT+LEFT/RIGHT hot keys don't work, Windows seems to accept the hot key registration but never receives them. I think maybe they are either reserved keys or some other application has them already.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
pope5

Post by pope5 »

Hello Phil,

I have not only good news, but very good news.

First, the specified folders and programs to be executed are shown now correctly. I can close and reopen the setup menue and the information is still there.

Now to the very good news:
I set again the global hotkeys for next layer and previous layer and I recognized, that when I define it by holding the CTLR+Shift key and press then the cursor left and right keys (definition shows CTRL + SHIFT + Cursor right/left), the layer is not changed.

However, when I define next and previous layer by the numpad key 4 and 6 (in this case the definitiion shows: CTRL + SHIF + 6 (Numpad) resp. 4 (Numpad) ) switching of layers works correctley. Even if I then press the regular cursor keys. That is astonishing.

Hope this info helps.

Regards

Peter

By the way: when I click into a box in Advanced Setting, Tab Global Hotkeys I do not see, the selected box. If my phone rings, and I want to resume the setting, I do not remember the appropriate box. So my idea would be, that clicking a box should set e.g. a grey backgound in this box, to indicate that this is the box, which gets the next keys I press. Of course, I can klick the desired box again. But, it is not only a matter of an unsolicited phone call, I do see, that my mouse klick casued something. And that's it why I propose this extension. I hope, you agree.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Hahaha, that is not astonishing to me at all... look at the comment I put against the bug in my tracker last night....
I cant figure out why its not working. The hot key is registered but it never fires.
Maybe its conflicting with another windows hot key or something?!
Or maybe its because the virtual keys are extended (like the numlock issue?)
So you have just helped me figure that one out for sure. Another bug that I fixed was related to this, the simulated keystrokes did not work for cursor keys if numlock was on. I figured it might be the same problem, however its a very different fix.

Basically the VK_LEFT, VK_RIGHT virtual keys seem to depend on numlock, unless (in the simkey code) they are flagged as extended. The problem is I have no idea how that translates to the RegisterHotkey API but at least I know where to look now.

Thanks for the quick feedback :)
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

By the way: when I click into a box in Advanced Setting, Tab Global Hotkeys I do not see, the selected box. If my phone rings, and I want to resume the setting, I do not remember the appropriate box. So my idea would be, that clicking a box should set e.g. a grey backgound in this box, to indicate that this is the box, which gets the next keys I press. Of course, I can klick the desired box again. But, it is not only a matter of an unsolicited phone call, I do see, that my mouse klick casued something. And that's it why I propose this extension. I hope, you agree.
Why do you not see the cursor flashing in the focused text area? As long as the advanced settings window is active, then the cursor should flash in the active text field. This is the same as with any "text" field in any window application, so no, I don't agree with changing the background colour (which is most definitely not standard windows behaviour and leads to all sorts of problems when people don't use the standard colour scheme.) :)
--[ Phil ]--
pope5

Post by pope5 »

Phil,

you are right with the flashing cursor in the box.

Unfortunately, the field I selected had already the the value CTRL + SHIFT + 6 (NUMPAD) . This text however is longer than the box and as the cursor is set after the end of the string it is not seen. That was the reason, why I believed, the box is not marked.

Peter
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Ohh that is odd, does it say "numpad"? On mine it says NUM 6 and the box is plenty wide enough...
globalhotkey.png
Note: See Layer 5 hotkey, the cursor is not visible in the screenshot but is visible, flashing in the box on screen.

Because the GUI is C++ using MFC controls, its not quick and easy to override them to change the colour or somehow highlight the selected box etc. Its also not something that is visited very often, once configured your not going to keep changing the hot keys, so its not something I'm going to think about for 2.1 but I will add it to the future considerations list (which means no promises!) :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--[ Phil ]--