Simulated Keystrokes Question

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
jcasale
New User

Simulated Keystrokes Question

Post by jcasale »

Hello all,

I've recently started using this program and i have to say this is awesome :)
One problem I have faced though,
I can't seem to find a way to do a simulated keystrokes that involve Alt (once) and then letters (repeated).
Is there a way to do sticky with just button pressed once for Alt and only repeat letters afterwards?
if it can't be done in sticky mode, can someone suggest me how i could set it up to work?
ALT (once) + followed by LETTERS pressed (repeatedly).
Thanks so much in advance !
MainTrane
Dedicated

Re: Simulated Keystrokes Question

Post by MainTrane »

Hi jcasale, thanks for using XMBC
 Please provide the version # you're using whenever asking for assistance.

Precisely which method are you using to send simulated keystrokes? There are now two different sticky methods in the latest beta build, download here, the newest sticky mode may be just what you're looking for.

The newer sticky mode (sticky hold) has special recognition for the 4 modifier keys (LWIN, SHIFT, CTRL, ALT), working the same as holding one of them down on the keyboard.

The original sticky mode (sticky repeat) works exactly the same as the repeat mode, except it doesn't require the button to be held down. They, both sticky & repeat, repetitively send (press) the assignment until instructed to stop. Think of it like constantly hammering at the ALT key.

thanks
MainTrane

• Beta Tester ‖ Global Moderator
    Logitech [ G700 | G500 | MX1100 ᵛ¹ ᵛ² ]
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
    Intel Core i7-960 @ 3.85GHz
    18GB (3x4GB+3x2GB) RAM
    DirectX 11
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
[/size]
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Hi jscale, Once again maintrane has beaten me to an answer, but just to clarify....

Do you want the repeats while you hold the button down (repeat), or until you next press the button (sticky repeat)?

In either case, right now I don't think it can do what your looking for, which again to clarify is:
  • press & hold ALT
  • repeat all the other keys in the sequence
  • release ALT at the end
Rather than the current "repeat functions which repeat the whole sequence?

Its certainly not possible to do that right now (and the new method in the beta wont help either as it does no repeating at all), I'm not sure how easy it will be to add either (certainly it will not be in the next version which I'm hoping is code complete now. If it can be made to work without significant redesign then maybe we can do it in the following version - but until I take a close look, I don't know for sure how feasible it is (first thoughts are that it wont be easy).

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
jcasale
New User

Post by jcasale »

MainTrane wrote:Hi jcasale, thanks for using XMBC
 Please provide the version # you're using whenever asking for assistance.

Precisely which method are you using to send simulated keystrokes? There are now two different sticky methods in the latest beta build, download here, the newest sticky mode may be just what you're looking for.

The newer sticky mode (sticky hold) has special recognition for the 4 modifier keys (LWIN, SHIFT, CTRL, ALT), working the same as holding one of them down on the keyboard.

The original sticky mode (sticky repeat) works exactly the same as the repeat mode, except it doesn't require the button to be held down. They, both sticky & repeat, repetitively send (press) the assignment until instructed to stop. Think of it like constantly hammering at the ALT key.

thanks
MainTrane
I just downloaded and installed the beta version, i was using 1.53 before.

I guess holding down the ALT could also work but it's not needed. Basically I just need to press ALT once at start and then repeated letters afterwards. I will try to work with the new version.
MainTrane
Dedicated

Post by MainTrane »

To clarify, I meant the method holds ALT down not you (the user). You just press once to activate then press a second time when you no longer wish to have ALT held down. That's why it's called sticky, because you press the button and it stays stuck down.

• Beta Tester ‖ Global Moderator
    Logitech [ G700 | G500 | MX1100 ᵛ¹ ᵛ² ]
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
    Intel Core i7-960 @ 3.85GHz
    18GB (3x4GB+3x2GB) RAM
    DirectX 11
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
[/size]
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Basically I just need to press ALT once at start and then repeated letters afterwards. I will try to work with the new version.
Oh, I'm glad I asked then - so like....

<ALT> down, <ALT> up, then repeat sequence?

I still believe its not possible right now but may be a different technical solution maybe so while the same applies as to the last comment on feasibility, it might be a different approach needed.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
jcasale
New User

Post by jcasale »

phil wrote:
Basically I just need to press ALT once at start and then repeated letters afterwards. I will try to work with the new version.
Oh, I'm glad I asked then - so like....

<ALT> down, <ALT> up, then repeat sequence?

I still believe its not possible right now but may be a different technical solution maybe so while the same applies as to the last comment on feasibility, it might be a different approach needed.

Thanks,
Phil
<ALT>down+first letter of the word -> <ALT>up -> then continue with the rest of the letters in a word.

that's what i'm looking to do.

If you think of it as doing this using Shift for capital letters: Hospital hospital hospital
repeatedly.
so in this example it's <Shift down+H> then <Shift up> then ospital.

oh and also, is it possible to make it allow me to move my mouse with clicks while the strokes are repeated?
MainTrane
Dedicated

Post by MainTrane »

OK, thanks for supplying an precise example of what you're after.

CURRENTLY: putting {SHIFT}hospital into the keystroke assignment field and choosing (sticky repeat) from the combo box, returns :arrow: Hospital Hospital Hospital Hospital Hospital
but you want it to return :arrow: Hospital hospital hospital hospital hospital

Maybe Phil can think something up, but that exact example you gave doesn't seem at all possible. The program can only send what you tell it to, in no part of the assignment does it say to send a lower case h for hospital. So it can't be expected to repeat something that you never told it to do in the first place.
jcasale wrote:oh and also, is it possible to make it allow me to move my mouse with clicks while the strokes are repeated?
Yes - with the exact example I used in this post - moving the cursor around, after pressing the button with the assigned simulated keystroke once, and left clicking at different places in a document repeatedly places "Hospital" wherever I click.

P.S.
What you're looking for would require separate keystroke fields for the initial press and the repeated sequence. Since you seem to want the repeated keystrokes to be different from that sent initially.
jcasale
New User

Post by jcasale »

Thank you for the reply,

Yeah, seems like I'll just work with it.
Maybe in the future updates developers can add a feature where you can combine the normal stroke and repeated stroke or add a feature to give a repetition number after each command in simultaenous keystroke feature.

But I'm already very satisfied with the program. Thanks :D
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Please be aware, developers = me. And my time is rather restricted. XMBC is a hobby project that I work on in my own spare time, outside of my regular job!

But I certainly will think about it and see what I can come up with as a solution or workaround to your issue.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--