(Request) Recover disapearing system tray icons?

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
gate1975mlm

(Request) Recover disapearing system tray icons?

Post by gate1975mlm »

Hello, :)

I have a request for a new small but very handy feature to be added to XMBC!

As I am sure most windows users know when windows explorer crashes it causes some system tray icons to disappear. Like for example the iTunes icon in the system tray always will disappear after windows explorer crashes. And to get the iTunes system tray icon back I either have to Log off my user account and or Restart Windows and then restart iTunes again. Or one other way I could open task manager goto processes and end task for iTunes.exe then restart iTunes again.

Now some program system tray icons like XMBC system tray icon for example do not have the disappearing issue becasue they were programmed in a way that the system tray icon can reapear again when Windows explorer recovers from a crash.

I really wish all program system tray icons would be made this way. But they are not :(.

So one of the ways to have every single system tray icon reappear aftter a windows explorer crash is to use something like "PS Tray Factory" http://www.pssoftlab.com/

PS Tray Factory will make every single system tray icon reappear after a windows explorer crash. It even allows you to remember the order of the system tray icons.

Now before you say well why not just use PS Tray Factory?

Here's why :)

For one it would be nice to not have to run extra programs.

And second and main reason why I would really like this feature to be added to XMBC is because PS Tray Factory is "buggy" and there are some issues with it that need to be fixed. And unfortunately I have E mailed them so many times and not once do I ever get a reply from them. So I pretty much have given up on PS Tray Factory software and now relize these bugs will more then likely never be fixed :(

So what I am asking is can you add the same basic feature that PS Tray Factory does? Recover all disapearing system tray icons next to clock after a windows explorer crash? And also maybe a "set and remember" system tray icons order

I am now a programmer of course so I have no idea how hard this would be to add to XMBC :) But you do already have an option to "Save Desktop icon layout" so this new feature I am asking for kind would fit right in with that category :)

I wish I was a programmer myself because I would make a small program for this very feature! :)

Thanks for taking the time to read this and keep up the great work on XMBC!!! :)

Just so you know I really really hope you can add this feature. I would even be willing to donate something nice if it was added :)

I know its probably a long shot that you will add this feature but I just figured I would ask can't heart right :)

P.S. "Recover of System tray icons" is the most important to me.

Saving the order of the icons would be nice too. However not as important too me.
phil
Site Admin

Re: (Request) Recover disapearing system tray icons?

Post by phil »

Hi,

Interesting idea, but I don't think this would be an easy task to do, not such a "small" feature, or at least, not sure a small implementation! It would probably involve hooking into the explorer task bar, which is not something I really want to get into, and is not really the point of XMBC (OK so you could argue the same about saving desktop icons I guess).

So basically I'm saying, don't get your hopes up for this to be added any time soon.

BTW: I think Windows 7 already remembers the position of icons in the system tray, and explorer crashes are, in my experience very rare (although chances are higher one you start getting apps hooking in to it).

Oh and also, whilst I appreciate the though, donations have no influence or consideration on features in xmbc, they are just that, donations. If I start adding features on the promise of donations, I may as well setup a company and charge for support (which is not the idea or plan!) :)

Thanks for the idea though.
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)