Scroll Speed

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Luke7

Scroll Speed

Post by Luke7 »

Scroll Speed
Hi Phil
I have noticed that the scroll speed slows down (try IE or a folder with a lot of files) if you use Make scroll wheel scroll under cursor.
Will it be possible to get the same speed with this function is on?
phil
Site Admin

Re: Scroll Speed

Post by phil »

Ive not noticed this one.
Cqn you give more informaiton? The scroll window under cursor has several methods of working (you can configure some of that in the advanced settings screen) but generally, all it does is look at the message sent and redirect it to the window under the cursor - so that in itself should not make any speed difference.

How are you measuring it? By turing the option on or off? or by activating the window or just hovering over it?

I have tried the latter and cant see any difference here. Maybe there is some acceleration issue - but again it shouldnt happen using the standard methods (ie. if you havnt change anything in the advanced scroll settings).

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
Luke7

Post by Luke7 »

Hi again
Ok, try to set mouse in control panel in vertical scrolling to One screen at a time.
Next open http://www.b.dk/
Scroll down to the button of the side.
Look at the the right side and see the speed of the slider when Make scroll wheel window under cursor is off. Then try it again when it is on.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK, still cant see any difference here :(
IE seems to behave differently to firefox, but I cant see any difference with scroll window under cursor on or off in either application :(

Maybe its down to other influences - hardware/software. I could perhaps imagine some slight delay in remapping the messages with scroll wheel under cursor on slow machines (mines pretty swift) but I certainly am not seeing a difference in the number of scroll wheel notches required, nor the general speed of scrolling (although as I say, IE is slower than firefox).

Plus, if there were an issue with this option on, it *should* be different is the window is active or not, because if the window is active (foreground) anyway, it does not do anything (clearly there is some minimal effort working out if the window is active but its fairly simply efficient code).

What machine specs/OS specs/mouse specs are you running?

EDIT: I'm not quite sure what you meant by "Scroll down to the button of the side."
EDIT2: I'm also seeing exactly the same CPU usage when scrolling a folder with the option on or off (about 8% of 1 of my i5's cores) - so effectively it does not *appear* to be using more resources when on than when off.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
Luke7

Post by Luke7 »

Hi again
I do not believe my system is slow :D

Intel QX6700 OC to 3.33 GHz
ATI HD4870 X2
Intel SSD 160 harddisk
4 GB Kingston DDR2 RAM

But I believe I found a solution.
I am using a pre version of IE9

To get the full scrolling speed back, I must unselect Use smooth scrolling in IE9 (Internet Option/advanced)
Perhaps there is a bug in IE9, because it looks like as IE9 gets 2 or 3 times smooth scrolling.

Anyway I can get it to work, as I want.

Again, thanks for this great program and your support.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Ahhhh yes OK I haven't tried it with IE9 - I did download the beta a while back but have upgraded/reinstalled since then :)

And no, that system certainly doesn't sound slow to me :)
--[ Phil ]--