Button mapping to window/screen parts?

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
MainTrane
Dedicated

Button mapping to window/screen parts?

Post by MainTrane »

XMBC currently has the ability to adjust scroll method dependent upon which window or window parts are under the cursor.
Do you have any plans to expand that sort of specificity to button remapping as well?
I would like to use XMBC to change mouse button/scroll wheel commands over different sections of both winamp and the taskbar in Win7x64.

Thx for this incredibly well done app; along with 7TT & DtS, I feel XMBC is essential when using Win7! :mrgreen:
Last edited by MainTrane on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Button mapping to window parts?

Post by phil »

I haven't got any plans to do this - wow the user interface alone would be a nightmare!
That is not to say it is impossible - I suppose, I could modify the application specific behaviour to allow you to select a window rather than an entire application - it would be interesting, but I fear that performance might suffer somewhat.

I will ponder the idea, but don't expect a quick resolution because my time on XMBC is severely limited as it is what with all my normal commitments like work!

Thanks for the idea though :)
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
MainTrane
Dedicated

Post by MainTrane »

Thanks for the quick reply phil.

:( I was really hoping to be able to do things such as:
  • change system volume by using the scroll wheel over the notification area
  • launch task manager by button press over systray
  • forcefully terminate most foreground app at push of button (show desktop strip?)
  • cycle through open windows with scroll wheel over main taskbar area
  • show desktop by pressing a button over taskbar
  • delete songs from playlists and enqueue songs with a single button press
  • etc., etc., ...
Didn't know it would be that difficult, not a programmer myself!
I thought the same interface used to ID window parts by XMBC's 'Window Scrolling' could be used with the main interface. Maybe by right clicking the app in the current add dialog a user could get that same window target. That way window parts wouldn't be used for every single app, just the ones the user wants it for.

I understand time limitations though, I wouldn't expect a major upgrade like this to happen over night :mrgreen: . Maybe something to put on your plate for v1.6 or v2.0.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

1.6 humm that was years ago - I presume you mean 1.60 :)
Anyway yes, I understand your requirements and its certainly not a bad idea. Its also not really difficult, just time consuming :) The GUI actually wont be a major issue if I just use the same window selection as the scrolling, along side the custom app code, but the settings and configuration file will need some restructuring.

Like I say, I'll think on it.
--[ Phil ]--
MainTrane
Dedicated

Re: Button mapping to window/screen parts?

Post by MainTrane »

Updated this topic to include screen part recognition.

:idea: Adding the ability to have the mouse buttons/scroll wheel change to more specific functions at the screen's edges/corners would be incredible. I think it's somewhat related to my original request; don't know how much easier/harder it would be than window part mapping.

NOTE: This idea inspired by Switcher. I've loved using this program's ability to launch with such a convenient & unique method and have wished this could be applied to any other hotkey/app/whatever for a while now.

• Beta Tester ‖ Global Moderator
    Logitech [ G700 | G500 | MX1100 ᵛ¹ ᵛ² ]
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
    Intel Core i7-960 @ 3.85GHz
    18GB (3x4GB+3x2GB) RAM
    DirectX 11
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
[/size]
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

What do you mean by screen edges/corners - do you mean each windows edges or the monitor edges?
Are you talking about "configured" hotspots?

Either way, this one sounds even more complicated - but then, you do like to complicate things don't you lol :P

I've got an idea, lets focus on one thing at a time. Just adding the ability to have window specific profiles is a massive amount of changes. And lets focus on that AFTER the release of 1.53 (at least).

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
MainTrane
Dedicated

Post by MainTrane »

I see that you haven't used Switcher2.0.0 :wink: , I intended monitor|screen edges aka hotspots (ie. left edge, bottom edge, top-right corner, etc.).
I wouldn't dream of suggesting anything as complicated as window edges! I'm not trying to turn XMBC into a window manager :haha: .

Yeah, I know I'm complicating things with these, bigger picture, feature requests :angel: . Don't mistake it for anything other than that, just posting here so you're aware of these requests; NO IMMEDIACY.

Both the original window-mapping-for-main-settings-request (just like in the current advanced settings > window scrolling dialog, nothing beyond that) and the screen|monitor-mapping-request are features I've been looking for in most programs; seeing as the mouse is my preferred input device.

XMBC having those abilities would be... :mrgreen: ; giving those desired functionalities to the Windws OS and any app with mappable hotkeys.

18GB (3x4GB+3x2GB) RAM
    DirectX 11
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
[/size]
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK I don't have a problem with you suggesting things. It might be better to have independent threads for these suggestions - or perhaps I need a independent XMBC feature requires forum :)

Sometimes its difficult to judge and manage users expectations - but it seems you are understanding my position of I will try but no guarantees on this so that is good :)

I do like the original suggestion of window configurations for sure and I'm going to try and do that next (after 1.53 is out there). But I'm still not sure about this area definition/hotspot thing - I'm not sure how it will work in practise. Maybe I'll take a look at switcher before I do anything else :)
--[ Phil ]--
MainTrane
Dedicated

Post by MainTrane »

Well it doesn't look like I'll be waiting 'til v1.60 let alone v2.0 :wink: .

This feature puts a completely fresh coat of varnish on my Win7 OS. Windows is now polished, buffed and showing it's true sheen.

Thanks so much Phil.

- Jermain

18GB (3x4GB+3x2GB) RAM
    DirectX 11
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
[/size]
Torrente

Post by Torrente »

@ MainTrane

You can do all the things mentioned with PowerPro, and with the mousetrap plugin you can do some really really advanced stuff (e.g. actions depending on the color around the mouse cursor, cursor icon type, etc ).

My short description here: http://www.cubicreality.com/forum/index ... ml#msg4369
Latest PowerPro version: http://powerpro.webeddie.com/
Plugins pack: http://www.pcrei.com/ppro/files/index.html

To implement all this in the gui friendly app like XMBC would took ages.
I use XMBC in games and it works flawlessly. Thanks for the new version Phil.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

It wont take ages :) Everything MainTrane asked for (pretty much) has already been done and is in testing (as he alluded to in his message :))

Thanks for the information about PowerPro though - sounds interesting.

The next version of XMBC is going to do a lot more that the current one (and so far, I've been finding the new features *really* useful (which I was sceptical about at first!). Of course, the main emphasis is on not breaking any existing functionality so if you don't want the new features you can just turn them off :).

Thanks,
--[ Phil ]--
Torrente

Post by Torrente »

phil wrote:It wont take ages :) Everything MainTrane asked for (pretty much) has already been done and is in testing (as he alluded to in his message :))
That's great. Guess what I wanted to suggest in this post.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Well, the only thing from that todo list that Ive acomplished here, is:
  • Controlling inactive windows, sending the messages to windows under the mouse cursor rather than the active window (for example scrolling with the wheel). I have concerns over performance with this one (checking for the window under the mouse all the time may be slow).
And initial impressions are that its not slow.

However, the changes made, might allow easier updates in the future - esp. in the GUI area, which while still C++ have been reworked to provide a better, and hopefully more extensible framework behind the scenes.

Still, I've spend about 3 weeks on this now, and have been feeling it (it doesn't help working on it till >3am for 4 days in a row!) so the pace of development will have to slow down again or I might not even make the next release lol!

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
Torrente

Post by Torrente »

phil wrote:I've spend about 3 weeks on this now, and have been feeling it (it doesn't help working on it till >3am for 4 days in a row!) so the pace of development will have to slow down again or I might not even make the next release lol!
Slow down man, I will be more than happy if you once in a while publish a bug fixing release.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Thanks - I'll do my best... As maintrane has found out, once I get excited and into XMBC it can all go at rather a high pace. I shouldn't do it, but its fun - and that's life!

Still I expect when the next version is released, I will shutdown from xmbc for a weeks :)
--[ Phil ]--