Mouse button or scroll wheel plus Ctrl, Alt or Shift

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
hugson
New User

Mouse button or scroll wheel plus Ctrl, Alt or Shift

Post by hugson »

Template not completed because it's not relevant to my question!

Is there any way of applying a Control, Alt or Shift key to a mouse button or the scroll wheel? For example, scroll up scrolls a whole page. I'd like to scroll up, say, a half page with Ctrl plus mouse wheel up.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Mouse button or scroll wheel plus Ctrl, Alt or Shift

Post by phil »

I'm not entirely sure if this answers your question, but you can use simulated keys to send a combo of ctrl+wheel up.
For example, if you mapped {CTRL}{MWUP} to the mouse wheel up, it would instead of just the normal scroll up, would press CTRL, then send the wheel up (then release ctrl). So that might be what you want.

If that's not what your after, let me know with a bit more detail/examples.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
hugson
New User

Post by hugson »

Thanks for your reponse (which I forgot to check for, so apologies for being slow to respond).
Let's say I have a text or Word document, or a web page, or a .pdf file. WheelDown scrolls the document down to the next page (in my case) and WheelUp scrolls up a page. I'd like to have Crtl-WheelDown scroll down by, say, half a page, etc.

As a matter of interest, how do I specify coding your suggested {CTRL}{MWUP}? Would I have to create a Layer 2, and activate it by not using the Ctrl key, so as not to interfere with {CTRL}{MWUP}? Or is there a better way?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK I didn't understand your request clearly - so you can ignore my suggestion. I thought you wanted to make the wheel send a CTRL+scroll, rather than you holding CTRL to modify the scroll behavior!

When you say "in your case" is that because you have set Windows to scroll in pages instead of x number of lines?

XMBC can control that setting, but only on a per profile basis at this point (not for example, by modifier key/hotkey, nor in simulated keystrokes) so if XMBC/Windows is set to scroll in pages (not lines), then no scroll message is going to go in smaller increments than one page - so I don't think it will be possible as things stand.

It *may* be possible to add a simkey tag/modifier key/hotkey to adjust that setting on the fly (with some code changes), but I'm not 100% sure even if that will work - as it will depend on the target application responding to the Windows broadcast "system settings changed" from pages to lines to scroll. Some applications don't respond to said Windows global broadcast "settings changed" message and there don't apply the changes live but only when the application is restarted (which makes this all useless!).
Also, even if I were to do that and it were to work, it would only be able to switch between pages and lines - so exactly half a page would be pretty much impossible (as the number of lines would depending on the window/page size/screen resolution etc). You would have to switch it, then send x number of scroll messages to get about half a page, which you could do in a simkey macro I guess.
So even if possible, there will be caveats and I'm not sure its a worthwhile exercise (esp. as it may not even be possible)?!
--[ Phil ]--
hugson
New User

Post by hugson »

Thanks for you comprehensive response.

2 More questions:
Suppose I change default scrolling from page to, say, 30 lines. Is there any way to achieve additional scrolling options with Ctrl, Alt or Shift, or even chord combinations, e.h. Ctrl+Shift?

Under Scrolling I have a section called Advanced Window Scrolling. But I haven't found a way of activating any of the 3 options in that section - they are always grayed out. Is that because my trackball doen't support them?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

1. no - not yet, but maybe if I made that change (and the applications honor the setting change on the fly).

2. Advanced window scrolling does not apply to the default profile, but to individual application profiles. In there, you can adjust, per profile (but not when a key is held) the number of increments and the type of message sent - its designed to make old window that don't respond to the wheel at all work by sending other messages rather than the wheel messaged (and thus applies to the application only).
--[ Phil ]--