November 26 Scroll Chording Inconsistency

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
yskvlg
New User

November 26 Scroll Chording Inconsistency

Post by yskvlg »

I've been using the 2.20.05 installed version for a while and XMBC for a year. I have Win 10 pro. Asus WT425 mouse. 8 Ram 1050 gtx i7 9th generation laptop. Turkish Qwerty keyboard.

I chord Mbutton5 with my wheel in the default layer 1 and use simulated keystrokes for easy zoom (CTRL+WU/WD) been using it for months with no issue but starting yesterday the gesture lost its consistency. Going back and forth between zooming and normal scrolling within milliseconds as I keep the button 5 pressed so it's making me partially scroll and zoom within the same scroll gesture. Modified the wheel directly with keystrokes without chording any other button. Same logic with the one I do with 5 but it still happens so no problem with button 5. I've tried the portable version of 20.05 and installed 20.04 but didn't change. Reinstalled 05 and reset previous settings with the new installation and only added that zooming gesture but it continues.
yskvlg
New User

Re: November 26 Scroll Chording Inconsistency

Post by yskvlg »

I've just enabled debug logging, don't know if it'd make any difference but it's still happening anyway. I must add that, the issue happens 1/20 times so it's quite rare for someone who doesn't constantly use this gesture. I did because I use it for ease of navigation within infinitive board platforms such as Canva/Figma. So you must do the same gesture repeatedly to recognize the issue.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Debug logging will help (me) see if the chord button is getting released or not when it goes wrong. I have had mouse buttons fail (dirty switch contacts usually) and when they do, they can send spurious messages, so even though you are still pressing it, it may be "bouncing" on and off.... If that is the case, the only real solution is a new mouse (or to physically replace the buttons if your keen with a soldering iron lol).

But it may not be that.

Best thing to do, reproduce the problem (with debug logging tuned on - not that debug logging turns itself off when XMBC is restarted, because generally its not useful and too verbose). Make a not of the time when you do this (when it breaks) and then send me a copy of the log (PM ot simply attach it/paste it in here).

Then I will have a look and see if the chord button has been released or not while you are still pressing it!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
yskvlg
New User

Post by yskvlg »

Oddly for a couple of hours it stopped doing that but I realized it happens much rarer when I only use the scroll for zooming which is acceptable and don't even think it's the software now. I'll do that as you say. I had my mouse covered with some fabric because my hands get sweaty. Then I was like okay now the fabric is disgusting so I took it off but it was actually protecting it from small dirt and stuff. Maybe you can have a solution for that too since you've made us all dependent on our mouse :lol: I'm so sick of cleaning both my hands and mouse.
yskvlg
New User

Post by yskvlg »

Well yeah it's official. I have Figma.exe profile which I only changed the wheel up and down to ctrl+wheel up and down. Gotta say it's hapenning a lot now and it's frequency comes and goes too obviously. Tell me if I'm wrong but if it was the scroll device problem shouldn't there be moments I can neither zoom or scroll in any window? Like a total of 15 scroll clicks would have scrolled less than 15. I'm smart. Now tell me clearly and simplified what to do with the debug thing because I lied when I said I'm smart. I've found a notepad full of stuff explaining what I do, verbose indeed. Would you like me to delete all in the logging notepad, check the debug logging box in again, and only use Figma with the issued gesture aaaand send you the notepad file?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Firstly, I suspect the problem button is the chord button (MB5) not the wheel - bouncing on the wheel is very unlikely to ever be noticed because the wheel is not a button and sends messages differently anyway (it does not have a Pressed/Released sequence, just a one off "I scrolled a notch" that repeats the more you scroll).

Anyway, the debug log will probably show if that is what is happening (i.e. it will show you release the button, even if (I suspect) you are not letting go of it!

Yes, you could clear down the log file first (either delete the file or empty it in notepad and then save it as you suggested) - that will narrow down the amount of stuff to filter out! But still make a note of the time (ideally to the second if at all possible) and let me know when you send the log file over. If the log file is massive, you can always zip it up before attaching it here (or sending it in a private message if you prefer). Then I will try and find time to have a look and see if the button is indeed being released (or the device thinks it is) thus breaking/interrupting the chord.

Of course if you happen to have another mouse to hand, the obvious thing to do would be to try with that - and see if the same happens, if not, its more likely that it is a button problem on one device. If it does, its far less likely to be a hardware issue.

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
yskvlg
New User

Post by yskvlg »

Well I've changed my Windows 10 to 11 and finally it disappeared. I guess it was an update issue.