Switching between layers using only the mouse and scroll wheel

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Tmymo
New User

Switching between layers using only the mouse and scroll wheel

Post by Tmymo »

Is it possible to have one Mouse Button mapped to switch between the next and previous layer freely?
XMBC Version 2.20.5:
Installed
Windows Version 11:
TECKNET Wireless Mouse(brand/model):
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3340M CPU, RAM 12.0 GB:
Just installed today, using QWERTY keyboard layout:

Hello, I recently got a new wireless mouse that has some side buttons and I used this program to map them. I've been messing with it all day trying to make it so that I can switch layers by either pressing the MB4 and scrolling UP/DWN or by pressing the MMB and scrolling while it's pressed down. I've had success using both methods, but what I want is continuous scrolling between layers, being able to switch at ease. Currently what I'm getting is once the layer is switched, to switch to another layer I have to press the button again and scroll the wheel up/down. I have tried Button Chording, Button Held, and Simulated Key, but I can't get it to work. I used all 1-6,9 methods for sending the simulated key strokes but it didn't work the way I wanted. I think it might be possible through Simulated keys but it seems to send all the strokes at once, not letting me decide between scrolling up/down. There was one time while I was experimenting that produced a similar effect to what I wanted, but I don't know what I did and couldn't make it happen again. After switching to a different layer I was freely able to use my mouse wheel to switch between the three layers I had, with no other buttons pressed or held down.

I know its a minor issue, but If someone could help me figure out how to make this work I'd be grateful : ]
phil
Site Admin

Re: Switching between layers using only the mouse and scroll wheel

Post by phil »

When the layers change, XMBC dumps the state of the buttons, so it "forgets" that the button is held down and breaks the chord. I suspect this is the issue here. This was done because normally, you *want* to break any macros or things going on when switching to a new layer.

I presume you have all the layers set the same for button 4 (chording?). You could try turning off ALL the "reset" options in the advanced settings and see if it makes any difference. If not, I may well have to make a change in code to accommodate this scenario (which might be a little complex due to the way the chording works - may have to put in some exceptions to default behavior - but at least I should be able to reproduce this if need be.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
Tmymo
New User

Post by Tmymo »

Yes, I have set the other layers to be Same as Layer 1 so they should have the same controls. I turned of all the reset boxes and it doesn't seem to have affected anything. And I didn't notice that I was able to still use the second button after the default button action was activated for MB4 and Taskview but not for when switching layers so I figured that was the case.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Tmymo wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:39 am Yes, I have set the other layers to be Same as Layer 1 so they should have the same controls. I turned of all the reset boxes and it doesn't seem to have affected anything.
OK Looks like I might have the change something then - I cant tell you hoe long that will take at the moment, Ive been really busy recently and had no time for XMBC, but I hope as the summer is over, I will get a little more free time (unlikely to do that in the next few weeks though).I also have no idea right now how complex this will be (may be a simple fix, maybe a bit more tricky!)
Tmymo wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:39 am And I didn't notice that I was able to still use the second button after the default button action was activated for MB4 and Taskview but not for when switching layers so I figured that was the case.
I'm not entirely sure what this refers to - can you explain a little more?

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
Tmymo
New User

Post by Tmymo »

Sorry there was a typo there, I meant to say did not didn't. There's a visual indicator on my cursor, the plus sign, that changes from gray to red and I figured that meant the chord was still in active or that it could tell the button was still being pressed. It was still there after pulling up Taskview with the chord, and i could pull it back up along with any other chord function as long as the MB4 was held down. But when I looked at it when switching layers the red plud shows up for a bit, then is replaced by the layer number I'm currently on. I took that as it forgetting the previous input now that it switched layers.

It's not really something you need to work on immediately, just work on it whenever you have the time. A hobby is a hobby after all, can't put all your time into it. If this does come out in a future update I'll be glad.
Frugiferous
New User

Post by Frugiferous »

Tmymo wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:09 am Sorry there was a typo there, I meant to say did not didn't. There's a visual indicator on my cursor, the plus sign, that changes from gray to red and I figured that meant the chord was still in active or that it could tell the button was still being pressed. It was still there after pulling up Taskview with the chord, and i could pull it back up along with any other chord function as long as the MB4 was held down. But when I looked at it when switching layers the red plud shows up for a bit, then is replaced by the layer number I'm currently on. I took that as it forgetting the previous input now that it switched layers.

It's not really something you need to work on immediately, just work on it whenever you have the time. A hobby is a hobby after all, can't put all your time into it. If this does come out in a future update I'll be glad.
if you still need the specific answer, I think I know it. Here is one way to set this up:

Create separate macros for scrolling up a layer and scrolling down a layer using the simulated keystrokes. For example:
Scroll Up: Send {Ctrl+PgUp}
Scroll Down: Send {Ctrl+PgDn}

Assign the Scroll Up macro to "Button Held -> MB4"
Assign the Scroll Down macro to "Wheel Down + Button Held -> MB4"
Repeat the assignments for MMB: Scroll Up: "Wheel Up + Button Held -> MMB" Scroll Down: "Button Held -> MMB"
This makes it so holding MB4 or MMB triggers layer change on wheel scroll, while the direction of wheel scroll controls scrolling the layers continuously up or down.