Blocking Y-Axis in second life

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Kallie
New User

Blocking Y-Axis in second life

Post by Kallie »

Please fill in this template when posting!

XMBC Version: 2.20.5

Installed or Portable version: Installed

Windows Version: W10 pro x64 latest updates

Mouse Information (brand/model): Lenovo usb mouse MO28UOL

Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz, 12Gb

Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): Nope

Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): Nope

How long have you used XMBC?: First usage

What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: ES, ES

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:

I have set up the modifiers/other Modifiers (Lock Y Axis) and set it to activated when I press and hold the ATL key and this seems to work fine on the windows environment.

I want it to work in Second Life.
When I run Firestorm or the Official Second Life Viewer and I use "We call it Butt Grab" where we first activate "ClickLock" and then click on the avatar. Once done the mouse can then steer the avatar in world.
I wanted to only have the X axis input to this but the Y also affected the movement which I did not want.

So, I used XMBC and and it works well outside the above programs but not when I run the above. (Where I would like it to work)
It does work inside parts of the program above when I use 1st party view (Mouselook) so that is nice.

I expect that the applications (Firestorm or the official second life viewer) are bypassing the standard windows mouse Gubbins.
So, if that is the case, thanks, let me know and close, well unless there is a genius workaround.
I add as a side note, I had the same result with an Auto Hotkey attempt I tried.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Blocking Y-Axis in second life

Post by phil »

I also suspect that the game gets its mouse input from RawInput/DirectInput which is lower latency and can not be intercepted/blocked by XMBC. I cant be sure, but many games work that way so its most likely answer Im afraid.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
Kallie
New User

Post by Kallie »

Thank you, I do think you maybe right.

I have obtained an old Ball Mouse and blocked its optical sensor for the Y-Axis, that works but I rediscovered why Ball mice were so annoying.

SO, I wondered, and is this a place where I could even ask?
I wondered if it was possible to make and program a device "say raspberry pi pico or Aurduino so I could plug (or bluetooth) in a regular modern optical mouse, and intercept the messages on the USB bus, strip out or Zero the Y-axis bytes and then forward the result on to the PC. (the game would be happy, as would I).

OK, I have no idea so and if I can post here, or another place.
I a looking for guidelines of Where to even start.
OK, a "here is you solution would be nice" but realistically I need help and if anyone can point me the right direction or tell me to "Give up" because is too hard. ((I have done some software and hardware in the past but am no expert, happy to play))

Still, thanks for your reply, and at least I know I probably did the best the game would let me.

Kallie
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

To be fair, I don't know, but it was something I was wondering if I could do as an addition to XMBC, to have some sort of physical USB device that could inject "real" HID device messages rather than relying on Windows injecting them (which gets detected/blocked or in this case, can not be blocked). I don't know if its possible but I cant see why not, There are definitely USB HID devices (even my Logitech mouse reports as multiple HID devices, so emulating one on an audrino / pi surely can't be that difficult - but Im afraid as things stand, I don't know where to start either!

EDIT: A quick google revealed this, so maybe a place to start?
https://www.okdo.com/project/arduino-hid/
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)