Invert mouse wheel scrolling not working in all apps for touchpad

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
tjeerd
New User

Invert mouse wheel scrolling not working in all apps for touchpad

Post by tjeerd »

XMBC Version: 2.20.5
Installed or Portable version: both
Windows Version: Windows 11 Education 22621.2134
Mouse Information (brand/model): Microsoft Bluetooth mouse
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 6850U with Radeon Graphics, 2.70 GHz; 16.0 GB (14.8 GB usable)
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC?: no
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade?: no
How long have you used XMBC?: several years
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: English; US & Swiss German

Description of the problem:
If I enable 'Invert mouse wheel scrolling' on the Scrolling tab (or set 'Wheel Up' to 'Mouse Wheel Down' and vice versa in a Layer tab) my mouse scrolling reverses in all programs. However, the scrolling direction of my touchpad does not reverse in all programs. Touchpad scroll does for instance not reverse in File Explorer, Chrome, Excel; while it does reverse in Outlook, Word, X-Mouse Button Control.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Invert mouse wheel scrolling not working in all apps for touchpad

Post by phil »

Does your touchpad have some settings of its own - I know mine does, where you can setup gestures for multiple fingers (and the likes)? If so, maybe that is taking precedence, and doing something before XMBC sees the messages.

But I would have thought it would be that way for all programs. Unless it has some program specific stuff in the touchpad driver settings?
Do the XMBC scroll drop down's highlight in orange when you scroll on your touchpad? particular when scrolling in the programs where it does not work, if you leave the XMBC settings window visible, and scroll in chrome (etc) do they highlight then?
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
tjeerd
New User

Post by tjeerd »

Thank you for your response.
phil wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:35 am Does your touchpad have some settings of its own - I know mine does, where you can setup gestures for multiple fingers (and the likes)? If so, maybe that is taking precedence, and doing something before XMBC sees the messages.
I don't think my trackpad has seperate settings (it is a Lenovo Thinkpad). I only found the default windows trackpad settings (under Windows Settings), where you can set the touchpad scrolling direction (down motion scrolls up/down). It works as expected and that setting influences touch scrolling direction in all programs the same.
phil wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:35 am Do the XMBC scroll drop down's highlight in orange when you scroll on your touchpad? particular when scrolling in the programs where it does not work, if you leave the XMBC settings window visible, and scroll in chrome (etc) do they highlight then?
This is interesting: in the programs where it does work it higlights for both mouse and touchpad. But in the programs where it does not work it highligts only for the mouse.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

tjeerd wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:20 pm
phil wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:35 am Do the XMBC scroll drop down's highlight in orange when you scroll on your touchpad? particular when scrolling in the programs where it does not work, if you leave the XMBC settings window visible, and scroll in chrome (etc) do they highlight then?
This is interesting: in the programs where it does work it highlights for both mouse and touchpad. But in the programs where it does not work it highligts only for the mouse.
That is indeed interesting, but it means that *something* is happening to those messages before XMBC is receiving them. Which does pose a bit of a problem. The question is, what is doing that, is it Windows itself (unlikely but not 100% sure) or the touchpad driver.

My "generic" laptop uses a synaptics touchpad which does have its own application to configure it, although it was never supplied with the laptop - the same pads are used in multitudes of devices, and I believe there is another fairly generic one by another company (that I forget the name of)... But often the "generic" drivers are not available or are customized by the laptop manufacturer (Dell/Lenovo etc).

Unless you can figure that out, I'm not sure there is much more I can do to help!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)