Change Default DPI Settings

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
WizardMutant
New User

Change Default DPI Settings

Post by WizardMutant »

Please fill in this template when posting!
XMBC Version: 2.20.4
Installed or Portable version: Installed
Windows Version: Win 10
Mouse Information (brand/model): Logitech G304
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): i5 12600K, 32GB
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): No issue
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): No issue
How long have you used XMBC?: Coming up to 1 year
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: US English

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).: Custom DPI settings

As I press the DPI button it endlessly cycles from 4 DPI value settings. Starts at low and incrementally goes to a higher and higher setting and then cycles back all over again. For my requirement the DPI value steps could be a lot better so I would appreciate some help to change those default DPI values to some recognizable DPI values instead of a speed 1-10 number representing an unknown DPI value. I activated the setting as per the attached screenshot but it could still be a lot better and I want to dig deeper. the Logitech mouse software had this option but it was otherwise much worse than XMBC so I uninstalled it. Since I have no idea where to even start, would appreciate some guidance.

I have also been wondering for a while now if its possible to set these DPI value or even just different values from the screenshot per layer. Meaning different Speed and DPI for each layer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Change Default DPI Settings

Post by phil »

The DPI button on the mouse is generally not configurable (may not be the case for logitech mice, but in that case, it will only be configurable via logitech's own software). The button does not send anything to Windows mouse message queues so XMBC can not see it.

The speed slider in XMBC is only controlling the standard Windows mouse cursor speed slider. It (Windows) has only 10 steps (actually behind the scenes, it may be 20 steps but the normal Windows GUI only exposes 10 steps, and thus so does XMBC). It does NOT change the DPI of the mouse, it changes how the Windows cursor reacts (may appear to be simular to the DPI change but it really isnt).

Again, as this is a standard Windows function, XMBC can do no more other than change the windows setting. And no, it is not currently possibly by layer. This is a global setting in XMBC. The best you can do is per profile, but that is a single speed, not a cycling speed.

Sorry!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
WizardMutant
New User

Post by WizardMutant »

thnx for the reply phil. appreciate the explanation even while cant do anything.

maybe I'll try to run only this function with the Logitech software if it works alongside XMBC.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I sometimes run the Logitech software along side - it does depend on the mouse/software combo. The Logitech G-Hub software seems to mostly cooperate well with XMBC.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
WizardMutant
New User

Post by WizardMutant »

thnx phil, tried it and discovered something really cool that I originally missed. the mouse has onboard memory and once the DPI cycling steps have been saved to it, its persistent across reboots and even mouse shutdown. only haven't tried to remove the battery but even if that resets it, not an issue. I can always on the odd occasion use Logitech software to re-set it and then again turn it off completely. No worries about some interference.

but having had the idea I mentioned earlier the really cool thing would be to be able to set the mouse speed/DPI per layer. I could zoom in and automatically reduce the speed so I have more accurate control over it.