X Mouse Button Control ALT Tab is broken, again!

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
JAB Creations
New User

X Mouse Button Control ALT Tab is broken, again!

Post by JAB Creations »

XMBC Version: 2.19.2.0
Installed or Portable version: Portable
Windows Version: 11 x64

I downgraded to an older copy on a new laptop after discovering that {ALT}{TAB} is broken, again!

The correct behavior switches between window A?B, B?A.

The incorrect current behavior is: A?B, B?C, C?D, D?E, etc.

I commonly work between a code editor and a browser and other pairs of windows. Cycling through over a dozen windows make absolutely no sense for me! I don't mind if a separate option for the incorrect behavior is made but having my option outright eliminated is absolutely infuriating. Then I have to use the vendor software that uses a GB of RAM! A GB! Please fix this.
phil
Site Admin

Re: X Mouse Button Control ALT Tab is broken, again!

Post by phil »

As far as I am aware, I made no changes to the ALT-TAB option in XMBC in ages, at least not between 2.19 and 2.20, but 2.19 was quite a long time ago now so maybe I have forgotten/missed something - I will check the change history when I get a moment.

Its not clear to me what you mean by "again!"? When was this last broken?
... OK so I had a look it your previous posts, and back then, it seems that {ALT}{TAB} simkeys worked for you - is that no longer the case? I'm not wholey sure if you are talking about the simulated keystrokes {ALT}{TAB} or the alt-tab in the dropdown list
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
JAB Creations
New User

Post by JAB Creations »

Looks like phpBB doesn't support Unicode? Those arrows characters were converted to '?' characters.

Any way, it's all working now. I installed the portable first and then when it didn't work I copied the portable version I had installed on another machine. Then I think I used the installer. I've got a lot going on so I'm not sure if I'm missing any important details. My apologies for any confusion.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Its not phpbb itself, its the SQL database behind it that doesn't support it (properly). But its a massive change to fix that (and I'd probably have to throw everything away and start again which is a bit of a problem!).

Glad its working.
--[ Phil ]--
JAB Creations
New User

Post by JAB Creations »

Thank you.

In regards to the database have you used HeidiSQL before? You could duplicate the database and convert the database and table collations, run it locally and switch the database names (or references to them) to test it out, maybe ten minutes of your time? If you haven't worked with HeidiSQL then maybe add another two to 15 minutes subjective to how familiar you are with setting up the connections. Remote connections via PuTTY are a bit confusing though I clarify what-is-what in this post: https://www.heidisql.com/forum.php?t=37329#p40923. Any way, the point is you can test it all without messing up the live website/database for some quick testing. One of my business policies is to not get comfortable with the default settings when other people would freak out as in the case when I permanently disabled the page-file for my computers back in 2005 and never looked back (with the exception of computers with insufficient RAM). That and having high standards has forced me to learn how to do things the difficult though correct way (my personal preference of course) and that has helped me tremendously over the years. Here, it's just emoji support (as far as a I know) though as someone who prefers smaller stack environments with minimal (if any) dependencies I highly recommend HeidiSQL. :)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Lol it’s not just emoji support - it also affects posts in strange languages that I don’t understand (but that’s no real excuse not to see them lol)!

I haven't heard of that one but that’s not wholly surprising… Looks interesting from a data migration point of view...
I am aware of some of the alternative DB engines but as I decided many moons ago to go with MS Sql/IIS (which I almost certainly wouldn’t do today if starting from fresh) it does restrict somewhat what other choices I have without having to rewrites some of my own software that only runs on said platforms, to move platforms completely - which may happen eventually if I ever get some free time that I don’t spend on XMBC lol!!! It would be nice to get it all off the servers at home before they die (or simply cost too much to leave running 24/7) too and get it hosted on my VPS’s but again - lack of spare time is my nemesis!
--[ Phil ]--
JAB Creations
New User

Post by JAB Creations »

Phil, what are you spending so much time on?

There is a migration tutorial for SQL Server to MariaDB here:
https://mariadb.com/kb/en/moving-data-b ... d-mariadb/

I prefer MariaDB as I tried PostgreSQL and holy hell! Imagine trying to have a calm romantic date but with a really pissed off velociraptor; PostgreSQL will fight you tooth and nail! Kudos to those who somehow make it work. I got the hell away from MySQL as soon as I could after Oracle decided to gobble it up. I haven't had any issues though I don't port between databases often. I had to go from MS Access I think it was to PostgreSQL years ago and that was as much fun as sitting on a porcupine on high alert. :shock:
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Mostly work! :(
--[ Phil ]--