HELP / BUG - XMoBCo wont do Ctrl-Alt-Del as a command

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
m003
New User

HELP / BUG - XMoBCo wont do Ctrl-Alt-Del as a command

Post by m003 »

Please fill in this template when posting!
XMBC Version: 2 20 3
Installed or Portable version:N
Windows Version: 11
Mouse Information (brand/model): M705 logitech
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): thinkpad T470p
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): N
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): N
How long have you used XMBC?: 3-4 years
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: Dvorak

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:[screenshot] ht tps://i.imgur.c om/AdeqFfN.p ng (how are we supposed to post a screenshot here othewise?, sorry i dont get it.)

Ctrl-Alt-Del wont fire.... not sure if it's a bug or limitation or if im doing something wrong... or a setting maybe preventing those.

im trying to have it set when holding the Mid button 5secs in case something froze or whatever....
_
Dolmatov
Committed

Re: HELP / BUG - XMoBCo wont do Ctrl-Alt-Del as a command

Post by Dolmatov »

Code: Select all

{WIN}L
It also does not work and is implemented as a separate function. I think that this is a limitation at the OS level. I'm not a developer, wait for his answer.

Searching the forum returns several pages. This post looks like a suitable answer.
viewtopic.php?p=9247#p9247
m003
New User

Post by m003 »

ya, that tread is about XMBC firing Ctrl-Alt-Del without reason... me i want it to fire it, its the opposite.

and what "implemented as a separate function"?, i dont get it.

Another thing i dont get too is that i input {CTRL}{ALT}{DEL}, saves apply and when i reopen it it writes {RCTRL}{RALT}{DEL}.... something it cant do cause im using keyManager as well and my RAlt is set to 4th, which is set to magnifier in XMBC.

others like {CTRL}{ALT}J for example dont work either btw.... even if keyManager is closed.

im trying to set C-A-del as a desktop icon and trigger it with another shortcut.

+for some reason it now refuses to save my changes... anything i put in that field will revert to C-A-Del when i reopen it.... ????

I had V2.19.2 which was fine, and just put 2.20.3 trying to solve the issue and that one dont even saves....

_
Dolmatov
Committed

Post by Dolmatov »

m003 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:40 amand what "implemented as a separate function"?, i dont get it.
LockWorkStation
xNwpJk7S1y.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dolmatov
Committed

Post by Dolmatov »

Installed or Portable version:N
To correct. You indicated that you don't have the program installed and also don't have a portable version.
I had V2.19.2 which was fine, and just put 2.20.3 trying to solve the issue and that one dont even saves....
Why not test on the beta version?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

2.20.3 has a pretty big bug that hobbles the save (esp. from button chording/button held actions).
I have a fix in the latest beta but it hasn't been released yet because I simply haven't gotten round to it - too busy at work this week to get a look in on XMBC! Maybe tomorrow.

XMBC uses Microsoft's SendInput API to simulate keys. This API simply does not allow the CTRL+ALT+DEL sequence to be sent through it. So it will never work. As Dolmotov said, this will need to be down by other means (much like Lock Workstation but of course, that's a different thing)

I did a quick google to confirm this.....
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/980 ... oesnt-work

Basically, Windows blocks this by default.

The answer is to add a new item to the dropdown which uses SendSAS to invoke the secure access.... but I cant do that quickly (no GUI changes until the next major version and that does not include the path 2.20.4). Maybe I can also "translate" the simkey and use SendSAS instead of SendInput.... That I can do right now, but I will need to test that - it may or may not have the desired effect!

Even then, there are many caveats.....

1. This will only work for the installed version (assuming UAC has not been disabled that is), installed under the "\Program Files" folder, it will never work for the portable version as Microsoft's rules state the uiAccess flag which requires installation under "program files" and digital signature. As you haven't indicated which you are using it is difficult to know if this solution will apply to you.

2. You may need to edit the computers local security policy (or group policy) as described here:
The local security policy of a computer must be configured to allow services and applications to simulate a SAS. To configure the policy, modify settings in the Group Policy Editor (GPE) Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in. The GPE settings that control delegation are in the following location:

Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates | Windows Components | Windows Logon Options | Disable or enable software Secure Attention Sequence
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-gb/windo ... dfrom=MSDN
3. If you do not have UAC enabled, this may all be irrelevant - Im not sure if {CTRL}{ALT}{DEL} works in that case.

4. I don't think XMBC will be able to interact with the secure attention sequence window (what you get when CTRL+ALT+DEL is pressed). So simulated keys and mouse mappings in there will not work (its a Windows protected screen).

I have just modified XMBC to test this... and initially it did not work, until I changed my computer's local security policy as described in 2. above!
I will build this as 2.21 Beta 13

I can't see any reason for simkey getting changed the {RCTRL}{RALT}{DEL} -- that does not happen here for me, it stays as {CTRL}{ALT}{DEL} but it still does not work or course!

PS: What is XMoBCo in the subject?
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK This in in 2.21 Beta 13

NOTE You still need to edit your local security policy to allow this to work:
LocalSecurityPolicy.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)