simkey {ACTIVATE} problem & button settings revert to undefined upon any change

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
BugSplatter
Dedicated

simkey {ACTIVATE} problem & button settings revert to undefined upon any change

Post by BugSplatter »

XMBC Version: 2.20.3
Installed or Portable version: installed
Windows Version: Windows 10 22H2 19045.2913
Mouse Information (brand/model): Logi(tech) m500s? according to google/bol(dot)com :) ... in the pictures it looks like mine
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): ASUS ROG G513IH-HN026T
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): yes, starting from 2.20.3
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): no
How long have you used XMBC?: many, many, many years
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: Nederlands/Nederland (Verenigde Staten) = Dutch/Netherlands (US)

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:

* To delete a file on my desktop (actually in a Stardock Fences Folder Portal(but it's just explorer.exe/caption="FolderView")) I've used the following for many years: In a profile --> middle button --> button held --> normal click --> simulated keys --> {ACTIVATE}{WAITMS:10}{DEL} doesn't work anymore (it doesn't activate anymore)

* If I try to change anything i.e. WAITMS:xx the settings get messed up and all info in "Button Held) reverts to undefined. Importing a backup of my profile is almost always unsuccessful/impossible. The only way to get things back to normal is install 2.20.2 again.

Thanks for your time and this amazing application
phil
Site Admin

Re: simkey {ACTIVATE} problem & button settings revert to undefined upon any change

Post by phil »

OK Thanks, I knew it was worth waiting a bit before 2.20.4..,.
{ACTIVATE} behavior did change in 2.20.3 but should have been for the better - I guess not. I will investigate.

The other problem, I don't think changed between the two versions to that's more odd. I will see if I can reproduce it later and if not I may come back for more info!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
BugSplatter
Dedicated

Re: simkey {ACTIVATE} problem & button settings revert to undefined upon any change

Post by BugSplatter »

Maybe useful info?:
*I have many profiles
* If I open %AppData%\Highresolution Enterprises\XMouseButtonControl\XMBCSettings.xml it looks like there's old stuff(not completely sure because the settings file looks complicated) which I don't use anymore (maybe it's related to the importing thing?) but at least I can still edit my button settings in 2.20.2
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Hummmm can't seem to reproduce the activate one.
It would therefore be useful if you could turn on debug logging, run the macro a few times and send me a copy of the debug log!
There should be a fair amount of logging going on around this with debug logging enabled.

I suspect its a timing issue - because the mod in 2.20.3 was to call it in a separate thread, and that might mean it goes in parallel to the waitms:10 whilst before it didn't start executing the waitms:10 until if had activated the window.... I will put that back the way it was, but the debug log will still be useful to confirm my suspicions!

As to the corrupt button held, Im certainly seeing that! Will investigate :)

I may send you a private test version (or maybe just 2.21 Beta 8 ) and get you to check its OK before I push out a patch to 2.20.4!
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Found the corruption of button held settings - that's a major screw-up on my part :oops: and was in at least 3 beta versions - no one noticed lol.
Thanks for reporting it. Im going to have to get this fix release swiftly now!
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Please try 2.21 Beta 8 and let me know if it fixes your issues.
It certainly should fix the corruption in button held. I hope it fixes the activate problem too, but if not, please provide debug log file (as requested above)
To enable debug logging, Settings -> Updates & Logging -> Enable Debug Logging check box.

If all is good, I will release 2.20.4, which will be identical to 2.21 beta 8. Otherwise another round!
--[ Phil ]--
BugSplatter
Dedicated

Post by BugSplatter »

I've sent you an email with a logfile.

Updated to beta 9, new problem:
* No profile is activated with the exeption of ones where an .exe is matched instead of a specific window

This makes testing a bit harder, but I tried the following:
- I made a profile with the name "test" and selected explorer.exe
- I recreated the button held action, tested, no luck, still doesn't activate, but the changes were saved this time
(restarting XMBC doesn't help)

Back to 2.20.2 and everything is working again
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Can you possibly ping me a copy of your settings too?
Sounds like maybe my fix for #811 is causing profile detection to fail - if so, that's a pretty big issue too that I better fix!
--[ Phil ]--
BugSplatter
Dedicated

Post by BugSplatter »

I've sent XMBCSettings.xml
BugSplatter
Dedicated

Post by BugSplatter »

* window profile detection is working again in beta 10

* {ACTIVATE}{WAITMS:10}{ACTIVATE}{WAITMS:10}{DEL} still not working
(the double {ACTIVATE}{WAITMS:10} has nothing to do with XMBC or me being stupid, it's a workaround for ... long story/sometimes not working

To test:
If I click a file first, then press middle button --> the delete file dialog shows -->
I click cancel --> middle click --> nothing happens(the file is still selected)) -->
I click the file again (not to select the selected file again, but actually to activate the window --> middle click --> dialog shows again

Normal useage:
- I use the middle button after doubleclicking a .mp4 in a Folder Portal, watch the tv-show, close Zoom Player --> then I middle click to delete the file
- or I use middle button to delete a file in my Desktop fence

I hope you can fix it
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I'll have another play and see if I can reproduce... its odd as it appeared to work for me yesterday but I will try again.
Can you do the debug log again with beta 10 and send me that?
--[ Phil ]--
BugSplatter
Dedicated

Post by BugSplatter »

(I just noticed your email, so I didn't use your link to test b10, instead I used "Check for update..."
* I've just sent the logfile
Last edited by BugSplatter on Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BugSplatter
Dedicated

Post by BugSplatter »

To test something different:

activate another window/not the firefox window, then middleclick the Firefox searchbox
middle button(not with button held or anything) --> {ACTIVATE}{WAITMS:10}{CTRL}k{WAITMS:250}{DEL} to clear the Firefox searchbox --> this IS working

The Firefox window gets activated and the keys are pressed
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

It is odd, with your profile, the middle button over explorer (not activated) seems to be working here for me... This suggests it may still be a timing issue... Can you try increasing the {waitms:10} to 50 or 100 and see if it makes any difference?

I know this info conflicts with the email I just sent you - but actually it was working, I just didn't have the delete confirm enabled so I deleted several files without realising!)
--[ Phil ]--
BugSplatter
Dedicated

Post by BugSplatter »

tested:

{ACTIVATE}{WAITMS:50}{DEL}
{ACTIVATE}{WAITMS:50}{ACTIVATE}{WAITMS:50}{DEL}
{ACTIVATE}{WAITMS:100}{DEL}
{ACTIVATE}{WAITMS:100}{ACTIVATE}{WAITMS:100}{DEL}
{ACTIVATE}{WAITMS:1000}{ACTIVATE}{WAITMS:1000}{DEL}

{ACTIVATETOP}{WAITMS:100}{ACTIVATETOP}{WAITMS:100}{DEL}
(just trying something)
{ACTIVATEPARENT}{WAITMS:100}{ACTIVATEPARENT}{WAITMS:100}{DEL}

disabled the profile and made a new testprofile for the portal window, middleclick (without button held or anything):
{ACTIVATE}{WAITMS:100}{ACTIVATE}{WAITMS:100}{DEL}

not working