XMBC somehow triggering USB disconnect of HID devices

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
mhkohne
New User

XMBC somehow triggering USB disconnect of HID devices

Post by mhkohne »

XMBC Version: 2.20.2
Installed or Portable version: Installed
Windows Version: 10, 11
Mouse Information (brand/model): Kensington Expert Mouse (bluetooth & USB dongel)
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): Dell Vostro 7620 laptop
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): No
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): No
How long have you used XMBC?: 3-4 years
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: english

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:
I use XMBC to map the extra two buttons of the Expert Mouse to back/forward, and I have done so for many years not.
The Vostro laptop is new. When I got it about 6 weeks ago I installed XMBC as part of my initial setup (along with Word, Outlook, AutoHotKey, etc).
I noticed almost immediately that the HID devices (keyboards and mice) would stop working on a regular basis (Sometimes they seemed to still be on the USB bus (keyboard LEDs were still lit), other times they seem to have been powered down).
This problem could happen anywhere from 10 minutes to a couple of hours after startup or a previous incident and would happen mid-sentence as I typed along. Fixing it required unplugging and replugging the HID devices.
As part of debugging the issue, I switched the Expert Mouse from using the USB dongle to using Bluetooth. This exempted the Expert Mouse from the problem, but my keyboards would still cut out regularly.
I re-installed Win 11 once (using the built-in reset Windows function). I checked and reloaded USB drivers, I checked for power related issues, etc, etc. During this reload, I DID reload XMBC immediately.

I finally reloaded Win 10 from a Microsoft ISO. Figuring that I either had some kind of software issue, or a broken laptop I proceeded VERY slowly with the reload - I loaded the bare minimum necessary to work and specifically did NOT load XMBC or AHK (figuring that I'd be able to rule them out as the issue). Several days passed without the problem showing, so I finally loaded XMBC, and the issue occurred again withing a few minutes. Removing XMBC made the problem go away.

I did NOT have this problem with XMBC on an older desktop machine, XMBC version 2.19.2.

I have NO idea how XMBC could be triggering this behaviour. Any tests I should run to try to narrow it down?
phil
Site Admin

Re: XMBC somehow triggering USB disconnect of HID devices

Post by phil »

Very odd - I mean XMBC does nothing to USB / HID devices, nor does it know anything about them - so very very odd.

I guess the first thing to do it try 2.19.2 and see if the problem is still there... If it is (and it worked before with the other machine) then it maybe machine (hardware) related. If it does go away with 2.19.2 then at least that gives me something to go on.

The only thing XMBC does with hardware, is with audio devices (to detect changes in the default audio device for use when controlling volume etc). I have had some problems with that, and that did change between 2.19.2 and 2.20. But again, don't really see how that could impact HID devices!

2.19.2 is still available using this link: https://www.highrez.co.uk/scripts/downl ... on=2190200

The other thing would be to enable debug logging, and then when it next happens, make a note of the time and send me the debug log file, it might at least let me see what XMBC was doing around that time.

Also, what CPU has that vostro got?
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

If you try 2.19.2 please let me know the results!
--[ Phil ]--
mhkohne
New User

Post by mhkohne »

I can't come up with any possible way for XMBC to trigger it either, thank you for confirming that shouldn't be possible. I just had the issue trigger again, this time a day after putting AutoHotKey back on, which, AGAIN, there's no freaking way that should have any effect. I think I just got lucky that it worked for a few days after the reload and the timing of the first fail just happened to coincide with the reinstall of XMBC. I've removed AHK again, and I'm going to go for a while - I suspect it's going to reoccur more frequently now that it's started back up.

Thanks for replying.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK, thanks for the update - keep me informed. NOTE: The reason I asked (above) what CPU you machine has is that for example, some AMD CPU's had an issue where the USB bus got reset in some conditions. I think the chances are that you have an Intel CPU so it shouldn't be that, but personally, I had a similar issue on one particular Intel based CPU/Motherboard combo (was custom built and this was a few years ago now) where USB devices would stop working and require re-plugging - never found out why (and I never had XMBC on that box as it was a headless server) but I don't have that hardware combo any more to the problem went away!

It might be worth checking all the drivers (and BIOS) are up to date from Dell in any case I guess!
--[ Phil ]--
mhkohne
New User

Post by mhkohne »

I have a little more information, but still nothing too solid. I ran from 3/16 to this morning (3/24) on the 2.19.2 version of XMBC with no triggers of the issue.
I re-installed XMBC this morning (removed all files and reg keys manually and rebooted after uninstalling). After re-configuring and poking at 'Disable Scroll Window Under Cursor' (FireFox 110 issue), the issue triggered.
I've since then played with 'Disable Scroll' several times and have had no more triggers.
For the moment I've left 'Disable Scroll' checked on all 3 XMBC profiles I have configured, and I'm waiting to see if there's some specific application interaction that relates to triggering the issue.

Perhaps that can be some help in trying to understand the underlying pathology here.
mhkohne
New User

Post by mhkohne »

Last post on this one: I do not have a solution yet, but I have determined that Synergy is a piece of the problem. With XMBC (and other implicated programs) removed, I can STILL get an intermittent trigger of the issue with Synergy installed. With Synergy removed, I never see the issue.
I've also found that older versions of Synergy trigger far less often, no matter what else I put on.
I've got the issue down to once or less a day, with XMBC and AHK installed and working, so I can work for now (tight deadlines coming up) and spend time debugging with Synergy later.

Thank you for your help on this one.