Simulated Keys broken after Win 11 update

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
RReynolds
New User

Simulated Keys broken after Win 11 update

Post by RReynolds »

I have noticed that after the latest Windows 11 update the “Simulated Keys” have stopped working. Uninstalled XMBC version 2.20.2 & temporally tried version 2.19.2, still didn’t work. I can see the XMBC bar light up when the key is toggled but nothing happens however the built-in commands seem fine. I’ve tried this on different apps with different simulated keys and it seems nothing is passed to the target apps.

XMBC (Installed not Portable version 2.20.2).
Been using XMBC 3 years

Edition Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
Version 22H2
OS build 22623.1325

Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10885M CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHz
Installed RAM 64.0 GB (63.6 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display
Keyboard: Standard PS/2
Mouse: Logitech MX Anywhere Anywhere 2S Bluetooth

Thanks in advance,
Rick
phil
Site Admin

Re: Simulated Keys broken after Win 11 update

Post by phil »

Uh Oh... that doesn't sound good...

But i just tried it on my Win 11 Surface Pro (same version as you 22623.1325) and XMBC 2.20.2 and simkeys is definitely still sending to applications like notepad++... Did a very simple test and mapped the middle button to 'abc' and clicking it resulted in 'abc' appearing in notepad++.

I'm not sure what is different there to what you tried...
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
Dolmatov
Committed

Post by Dolmatov »

OS build 22623.1325
Beta version. Wait for the new version. You can also try to let Microsoft know via the tester feedback form.

I have a different patch version of the higher version and the functionality is available. But this is not an indicator, because within minor patches of different branches of preliminary patches, bugs can appear and disappear.

Test versions are always not recommended for use in a production environment, but are used to find bugs. It is necessary to report where test versions are created.

You can install an up-to-date version of XBMC and enable logging. Repeat problem. Send the log and settings file to the developer by email. The email is listed on the XBMC download page. Just indicate that you created a topic on the forum.
This will check if the program performs the expected actions. If it does, then there is a bug in the system itself.
LstValley
New User

Post by LstValley »

MS has a vile tendency to release OS before it has been hammered at by their QA department. On the flip side we of the geek propensity can dream up ways to hose anything when bored. That said it seems that my buttons 4 and 5 occasionally work and yes it is on Win 11. Have you had this issue Phil? Another thing that points me slightly your way is while playing backgammon my screen will go dark for a millisecond then come back. When it comes back it is a frozen screen identical to the 'wait one we are loading' screen from Backgammon live. This then takes my chips (wah). I am wondering if the 4/5 keys are involved. Once I got a page of unexpected field entries from BG Live but did not write them down.

Otherwise it is a very well done package and barely moves resource utilization numbers. Great comment smilie minion types also. 8) :chaos:
That is all.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I cant say I have noticed this at all, but then my daily driver desktop machines are all Windows 10, only my Surface pro tablet is on the latest Win 11 dev, and I rarely use that, other than a few tests here and there (as noted above, it all seems to be working for me).

Buttons 4 and 5 are usually back/forward (without XMBC remapping them). Without XMBC running (so having the default back/forward) do the buttons do anything in Backgammon live I wonder? And how have you remapped the buttons (what simkey settings etc.)?
--[ Phil ]--
gmadrian
New User

Post by gmadrian »

I have the same issue and interestingly enough after shutting down XMBC and restarting it, it works again - for a while until it stops working again out of the blue. What can be done about this?

I have set up XMBC that when I hover over the taskbar in Win11 I can use the scroll wheel to adjust the volume and again it works for a while and then all of a sudden I only can increase the volume but not decreasing it anymore - really weird. Same here restarting XMBC and it works again. What doesn't make sense is that I still can increase but not decrease the volume.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

That is odd, but im not sure if/how it relates to the original issue in this thread? Especially if volume up works but not volume down, and not least with (I presume) a different version of XMBC?

I think this one is probably different and deserves its own thread (along with the relevant info. I guess Windows 11, but what version of XMBC are you using - 2.20.4?). But anyway, can you try this - enable debug logging (settings -> updates & logging tab) and OK/Apply that. Then wait for it to go wrong.... Once it goes wrong, make a note of the time, and send me a copy of the log file (post it here or by PM/email) and let me know the time you noted. Then I can at least see if XMBC is attempting to send the volume down commands, and maybe if there are any errors in the log.
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

gmadrian wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:14 am I have set up XMBC that when I hover over the taskbar in Win11 I can use the scroll wheel to adjust the volume and again it works for a while and then all of a sudden I only can increase the volume but not decreasing it anymore - really weird. Same here restarting XMBC and it works again. What doesn't make sense is that I still can increase but not decrease the volume.
I just had this happen today - so now I have debug log for it - I should be able to do something about it :)
Disabling XMBC and re-enabling fixed it - something to do with trying to read the current volume to see if it needs to be set (its failing to read the volume - which was a performance enhancement - as no need to change it down if its already zero... problem appears to be that when it fails to read the volume, it must be assuming zero and thus not bothering to send more volume down commands (where as volume up commands still apply because its not 100%). The real problem is that it is failing to read the volume for some reason - but in that case, it probably shouldn't assume that failed = 0 volume!

EDIT: 2.21 Beta 17 should fix this problem with volume down.... Certainly not the same problem as the OP reported and not Windows 11 specific!
--[ Phil ]--