After the computer sleeps and restarts, the mouse movement speed decreases

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
phil
Site Admin

Re: After the computer sleeps and restarts, the mouse movement speed decreases

Post by phil »

Interesting, but with almost three years of (small) changes between 2.19 and 2.20, it will take quite a bit of comparisons between source versions, but having spent so long already looking at the code, including **every** line that changes the mouse speed (which has logging which is not showing up in your log file), I'm not convinced I'll get very far.

Your settings, by the way, didn't make it go wrong here (of course) :(. Not being able to reproduce the problem makes it even more difficult to track down. Don't worry, I haven't given up yet!

Actually I wonder if portable mode is significant... I will have to test your settings with the portable version too (not that there is any code difference between the two).
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Can you try 2.21 Beta 1, just made available here. I don't expect it will fix the problem but will log more useful information, so if you can repeat the same tests with debug logging?

I build a portable version, linked in the second post of that thread!
--[ Phil ]--
juqkai
New User

Post by juqkai »

I recorded the logs of x86 and 64 programs respectively
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK Well, as expected its quite clear, that according to XMBC, the windows cursor speed isn't changing.
Both logs show the same behavior. At startup, the windows mouse cursor speed is 14.
On resume, its still 14
On shutdown its still 14.

All of these reports are taken by reading the current setting in Windows, so if it is changing in control panel (or windows 10 mouse settings app) then it should be showing as changed here also (because it calls SystemParametersInfo(SPI_GETMOUSESPEED, ...) and if that is getting it wrong, its a Windows issue not an XMBC issue. But the control panel/settings app should be calling that same API.

So I can assume something else is going on. How are you monitoring the cursor changes? Where do you see them change? In the Windows 10 Settings app (mouse settings) or the windows 10 control panel app (old mouse settings). Do they compare?

I don't really know what else I can do!
--[ Phil ]--
juqkai
New User

Post by juqkai »

After repeated testing, even the speed of the operating system was set to 5, and there was no mouse movement speed problem in [XMouseButtonControl 2.21 Beta 1 Portable]. There is indeed an issue with movement speed in multiple versions of 2.20.

In addition, when XMBC 2.21 is turned off, the movement speed does not change to 5. 2.20 will become 5. Now wonder if the ThinkPad's mouse configuration is causing it? The sequential loading order of thinkpad and XMBC after sleep causes problems with movement speed?

My test was done manually, quickly moving the cursor from the bottom left corner to the upper right corner, usually you can move it directly, but when there is a problem, it can only reach half the position.
juqkai
New User

Post by juqkai »

Re-fix the issue, the mouse movement problem is not fixed, the last time the log was recorded, there should be no movement speed problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

So in this case, something has changed the speed which was 14 in previous logs, to 12. But it stays at 12 throughout, when XMBC starts up, it reads 12 from Windows, after the resume, it still reads 12 from windows and when you exit, it still reads 12 from windows.

I cant help but think there is something else going on that we are/I am missing. But at the same time, I cant see what else I can do. I mean, if XMBC read a different value from Windows, it would be able to "fix" / change it, but its seeing the same value throughout, even though you say the speed changes to 5 - XMBC itself is not seeing that when asking Windows what the current cursor speed is :(.

Out of interest, if you turn the option "Allow XMBC to set the mouse speed and DPI" OFF on the Pointer settings tab, does it make any difference (I can't see how it will seeing as XMBC is apparently not making any changes to the speed anyway!)
--[ Phil ]--