****** Firefox 110 & XMBC *******

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
phil
Site Admin

****** Firefox 110 & XMBC *******

Post by phil »

I think I/XMBC just got the biggest mention ever/in a long while...

Firefox 110 Release notes:

Code: Select all

What is new in Firefox 110?

New Features:

It's now possible to import bookmarks, history and passwords not only from Edge, Chrome or Safari but also from Opera, 
        Opera GX, and Vivaldi for all the folks who want to move over to Firefox instead!

GPU sandboxing has been enabled on Windows.
        Note: A bug in the popular X-Mouse Button Control (XMBC) tool may cause mouse wheel scrolling to stop working. 
        The author(s) are working on an update. Meanwhile, scrolling can be restored by reconfiguring XMBC: either disable 
        the Make scroll wheel scroll window under cursor option in the global settings, or enable the Disable scroll window 
        under cursor option if using a custom profile for Firefox.
For what it is worth, 2.20 Beta 8 fixed this problem with Firefox after the dev team contacted me and we worked through the problem and solution. I hope to release 2.20 soon - but have a few things to tidy up before doing so. The beta is available to all from the beta thread here.

I wonder if that will bring any attention - certainly a memorable mention, even if it was to highlight a bug! I guess firefox beta testers and XMBC users have a thing or two in common!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
cmartin
New User

Re: ****** Firefox 110 & XMBC *******

Post by cmartin »

My friend -- FYI it looks like there are blog posts being written about this: https://techdows.com/2023/02/fix-mouse- ... refox.html

It is also trending on Reddit in r/firefox
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Its amazing, how many people have been caught out by this - I'm shocked (and pleasantly surprised) that XMBC is so widely used.
Its also funny (but not surprising) how many people don't read the release notes!

I hope I can release 2.20 by the weekend (maybe sooner if things don't quieten down!).
--[ Phil ]--
MisfortuneCookie
New User

Post by MisfortuneCookie »

Many people use XMBC because you created a kick ass piece of software!

Also putting in my two bits - The "Make scroll wheel scroll window under cursor" option must still be disabled with XMBC Beta 11 & Firefox 110 (64). I just upgraded from beta 8, and I'm afraid it was also not working for me on that version, just to spite you. Perhaps the implementation of gpu sandboxing has been tweaked?

Thanks for the brilliant app, phil.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK I better take a look at that then - if its not working (although others have said (elsewhere like on redit /r/firefox) that is does work with the beta... Definitely need to check it!
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I've tested it here with Firefox release 110 and all seems to be working perfectly (latest beta 2.20 Beta 11 with "Make scroll wheel scroll window under cursor" enabled.
--[ Phil ]--
bejoscha
New User

Post by bejoscha »

Attention is well deserved. This pieces of software is an "essential" on all my work computers as without it so many QOL workflow adjustments are just impossible. It's rare, but whenever I accidentally hit the ScrollLock button I feel immediately handicapped. My productivity plummets - until I remember to check the little icon in the system tray with the red x on the mouse :c)

Anyway, came here to say that I've also been caught by the Firefox issue but was pleasantly surprised to immediately find the Release note info (and also the Reddit post). However, it fails to mention that one doesn't have to disable the "Make scroll wheel scroll window under cursor" in general, but can also just create a Firefox profile and disable it there.
I'm not a great fan of installing betas on my workplaces, so I'm looking forward for the first full release containing the fix.
cmartin
New User

Post by cmartin »

Hi Phil,

Just a heads-up that there are some users that are reporting that they still see the scroll wheel issue in Firefox even when they check the "Make scroll wheel scroll under cursor" button. (Please see Bugzilla ticket 1817062).

I am going to send the reporter your way in case you have other questions or debugging steps that you can help with -- I've done all I can, but there's really only so much I can do before Bugzilla turns into "XMBC Support Forums #2" :lol:

(Thank you as well for the kind words on r/firefox about my team and I. We were all feeling very proud yesterday upon reading it :cheers:)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Yes I have seen similar, but I have been unable to reproduce this, with either Firefox 110 or the Quantum developer build - it all seems to work fine, so I wonder if there is something else at play.

Admittedly I'm using the latest beta with the fixes we discussed last year - so even with the "make scroll wheel scroll window under cursor" turned on, it all seems to work here. I'm hoping to release 2.20 this weekend assuming today s changes are all good and non-breaking, and will probably have to pursue this in the next beta run (for 2.21) if indeed it does turn out to be an XMBC issue.

--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I found today, that if a user remaps buttons to scroll up/down, or uses "advanced" scrolling to maipulate the scroll, or remaps buttons to BROWSER BACK/FORWARD/REFRESH/Search etc, this also does not work in Firefox 110.

For the same reason as the scroll broke, its sending the messages to the wrong (inactive) window. I have fixed this in the latest beta, so it will get in to the release (which I will hopefully do tomorrow now jut to give a change for a few users to test this beta!).

Hopefully there are no other side effects left to fix!
--[ Phil ]--
BillH
New User

Post by BillH »

Just a heads up. Scrolling doesn't work for me either when I enable "Make scroll wheel scroll window under cursor". Otherwise things are working great.

I am on XMBC 2.20 and Firefox 110.0.

Bill
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Hi BillH,

That's odd, because it all should work fine in 2.20 (released today). With or without "Make scroll wheel scroll window under cursor".
Is you scroll wheel in XMBC left as "No Chang (Don't intercept)"? If it is, maybe there is something else in play - any unusual plugins in firefox?
I'm using a fresh install of firefox (and also quantum and nightly too) for all my testing - and so far I haven't personally found any more problems after fixing it in 2.20 beta...

I'm curious, if you are still having problems what may be going on. Does it make any difference if the firefox window is active (foreground) or not?
Perhaps some debug logging would be handy to at least see if the fix is doing that it should be doing (even if its not working). Debug logging should log the fact that its over a firefox window etc.

Also, what version of Windows?
--[ Phil ]--
BillH
New User

Post by BillH »

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the hint about extensions. I don't have any unusual ones (I don't think), but I do have Logitech Setpoint. I disabled it and the problem went away. I don't even remember why I have that installed anymore. I do have a Logitech mouse. I think they said to install it to get smooth scrolling or something like that. Maybe I will just disable it and see if I miss it at all.

Looks like there is something that makes the extension and XMBC not play well together. Either works fine alone.

Sorry for pointing the finger at XMBC.

Bill
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

No problems, its good to get to the bottom of whats going on.

There was talk on the firefox subredit that Logitech Options (a newer version of set point) also caused the same problem as XMBC did. So it does not surprise me that SetPoint also struggles. I doubt Logitech will be updating setpoint any more either as its been superseded, but no doubt the logi options software wont work with older mice either lol
--[ Phil ]--
BillH
New User

Post by BillH »

It probably doesn't matter, but it isn't the Logitech SetPoint software program that is causing the problem. I have that installed and doesn't seem to cause any problems. The problem is caused by the Logitech SetPoint extension for Firefox.

Bill