My half-working Profile for player program needs adjustments

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Lores
Dedicated

My half-working Profile for player program needs adjustments

Post by Lores »

I am trying to come up with such configuration for my Winamp:

#1] Forward Mouse Button pressed once = B = next track
#2] Forward Mouse Button held down = Arrow Right = fast forward
#3] Backward Mouse Button pressed once = Z = previous track
#4] Forward Mouse Button held down = Arrow Left = fast backwards

#5A] Middle Mouse Button pressed once = C = pause / unpause playback
#5B] Middle Mouse Button pressed once = X = start playback from beginning
#6] Middle Mouse Button held down = V = stop playback

#7] Make it all work whenever I hover pointer over Winamp

And so I managed to come up with such Profile: https://uploadify.net/8d10fc97c7ea1ab9/ ... N1hXbz0%3D. It works half-way because:

A] Caveat #2 works every second execution, because after a successful fast forward the next one is gonna be read as #1 being held down, i.e. constantly jump to next track until the button is released; and after being released from this ill-behavior it is ready for another execution of correct fast forwarding. The same thing happens with caveat #4- it gets turned into #3 every other execution

B] I think caveat #5B is rather impossible to achieve, at least when the same mouse button is to be utilized; because there is no way for X-MBC to know the state of software: if it is playing a file, not playing a file or playing but in a suspended mode [i.e. it being paused]. Or is there a way?

C] I need to first left click Winamp in order for it to receive orders if I am focused in other window. My Winamp is docked at the top of the screen and thus the pointer should notice it whenever it is moved to its window's area. And no: by default MMB does nothing in this audio player, thus its [non existing] native function cannot be somehow utilized with some trick workaround of some sort

And so, can someone take a look at my Profile and tell what can be done about it? I have already have tested out the How to send the simulated keystrokes and only the option 7 (Repeatedly until the button is pressed again) unblocked the ability to fast forward / backwards
phil
Site Admin

Re: My half-working Profile for player program needs adjustments

Post by phil »

A] Looks like this might be a bug... Actually, perhaps not a "bug", just never implemented! Basically, sticky while the button down is not currently compatible with button held (and actually it may be very difficult to get it working).
Can you use method 6 instead - that works (fast forward while the button is held down)?

B] Generally, XMBC is not able to know the state of another program, be it winamp or anything else. But, you can create profiles in XMBC that depend on/match the window caption (title) and as it happens, when you pause winamp, the title changes to include [Paused] at the end.
So you could have a specific window (winamp) profile that matches (using regex) the window title of .*\[Paused\] (if you don't understand regular expressions, there are plenty of online resources for that like https://regex101.com)> This profile should then be active when over winamp that is paused, and the other profile (that you already have) should be active over winamp when it is not paused. You will need to make sure the paused profile is above the normal (current) one in the profile list!
Winamp Paused.xmbcs
NOTE: I found a little UI bug in he latest beta while making this profile too that I will need to fix - but shouldn't matter for now.

C] I don't really understand what the problem is here, nor what MMB has to do with it? Of course the program has to be active (have keyboard focus) to receive keyboard inputs.

I would have thought the BEST thing you could do, in Winamp is to enable global hotkeys, and also enable media control keys. Then XMBC's native Media Stop/Play/Pause/Next/Back etc will work with Winamp. Any more advanced functions in Winamp, assign to global hotkeys keys, then send those from XMBC. Maybe you could even use F13-F24 which are not on most keyboards but supported in Windows and can be sent from XMBC {F13} - {F2x} so wont impact anything else! Best way to do that, setup the simkey first {F13} then in Winamps global hotkey editor, you can "type" it in by pressing the button assigned to that simkey.

Alternatively, if the mouse is over the winamp window (or whatever program) then if you include {ACTIVATETOP} at the beginning of your sim key sequences, which should make XMBC activate the window under the cursor. You may need to put a {WAITMS:50} or so after it too, depends on the program.

That's another two hours of my weekend used up... Sigh!
And so, can someone take a look at my Profile and tell what can be done about it?
I'm not sure if you have worked out yet, that it is only me. There is not a team of hundreds behind XMBC, As I keep saying, it is a HOBBY project, with one author (me) and one support contact (me). The number of posts you have generated in just one (or maybe two) weeks is probably more than everyone else registered here combined for the last 3 months!!

I spent ALL day yesterday adding some of the features you requested in another post (kill, run hidden/minimized/maximized), and yet, not one note of acknowledging, not a thanks, not a "I'll give it a try and see if it fixes my situation", not even a sorry but it didn't help... Nothing. Do I do wonder if I'm wasting my time answering your questions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
Lores
Dedicated

Post by Lores »

phil wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:12 pm [...]
I spent ALL day yesterday adding some of the features you requested in another post (kill, run hidden/minimized/maximized), and yet, not one note of acknowledging
[...]
On every new forum I register to I make sure I turn on notifications. And also I have a separate Tab Group in Firefox dedicated to hosting tabs with topics I am interested in

And yet:
1] I see now I somehow did not turn on e-mail notifications
2] I get no notifications after logging in, despite them being selected from apparently the get-go
3] I accidentally must have closed the Tab containing that topic

The #1 and #3 are my mistakes- but that #2 is not. There is one other phpBB based forum with which I have other issue- of KeePassXC-Browser add-on for Firefox not being able to detect the user and password box on the login sub-page. A minor annoyance by any means. But as you can see, even minor glitches can lead to profound negative outcomes. So do not me surprised if a user who happens to have traits of obsessive-compulsive personality disorder reports various bugs, annoyances, ideas and requests - but at the same time omits some of them, as there are levels of mental issues and I am not a clinical case

You told me about not having time to deal with phpBB after recent updates - so I did not report issue #2. And at the same time I did not notice the lack of e-mails with notifications from this forum. And thus your frustration an anger

I hope this explains

I am sorry for any inconvenience I have cause

[As for the other issues I will address them in separate posts]
Last edited by Lores on Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lores
Dedicated

Post by Lores »

phil wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:12 pm
And so, can someone take a look at my Profile and tell what can be done about it?
[...]
I'm not sure if you have worked out yet, that it is only me. There is not a team of hundreds behind XMBC, As I keep saying, it is a HOBBY project
[...]
Yes, I did notice this; eventually

But when come to a forum and see almost 2500 topics / 15000 posts about particular software, then it looks to me like an active community
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

its active to some extent, but 7100 of those posts are me replying... and its been running for 18 or so years, so less active than most :)
--[ Phil ]--
Lores
Dedicated

Post by Lores »

phil wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:12 pm A]
[...]
sticky while the button down is not currently compatible with button held (and actually it may be very difficult to get it working).
Can you use method 6 instead - that works (fast forward while the button is held down)?
[...]
I can somewhat use method 6 from the drop-down list, as I tested it, but it will not get me to combination of rules that I need

To simply put: if sticky feature is not compatible - then I will have to come up with some combination of X-MBC and something else. And thus:

I did just now turned on in Winamp

Options > Preference > Global Hotkeys > Enable default multimedia key support

and tried utilizing just them while later also a combination of them and of Simulated Keys assigned to ordinary keys. But I think they are some bugs or other limitations / conflicts as the closest I could get to what I wanted were those settings:

https://uploadify.net/c73415efd38ea7f0/Winamp_1_2.xmbcs
https://uploadify.net/c7b5d8d089fe58dd/Winamp_2_2.xmbcs

They play file from beginning when Winamp is stopped while pause / unpause when a file is already playing. And so they lack the ability to stop a playback. And they only work [those two XMBCS files] together in version 2.20 Beta 10, while in 2.19.2 they do not. But in 2.20 Beta 10 if I choose anything for the Middle Mouse Button in Default Profile, then their combined setup breaks. It also breaks one way or another when I choose Button Held for one of those Profiles from the archive file for their MMB . And I suspect that some blocking-glitch gets copied once it occurs as I could not get to work exported Profiles but managed to run them when creating the very same options from scratch

All in all I got a headache trying to figure out what is happening and which combination can possibly work, thus planning along as I went a narrowing down of caveats from my initial post. I wish I could give you a more thorough report, but as I said, I suspect some overlapping glitches on top of plain inabilities; and maybe also some driver issues coming out from my mouse [as for example I have AHK script that works A-OK for every button of this mouse - except for middle one because it is not registered by Winamp then]

So for now I came up with an alternative setup in X-MBC and I am trying to fill the gaps it has with other means. Initially it was the X-Mouse Button Control that was suppose to be the workaround, but tough luck- it has to be the other way around. So please either indulge yourself trying to locate core of those issues - or just wait out as I simply accept current limitations of your program [AKA I give up] and from now on work on going around them [in regards to Winamp]

[I have not tried out in Winamp also suggested by you those individual

Options > Preferences > Global Preferences > Global Hotkeys > Enabled

which I should have done, as using media keys in X-MBC after checking Enable default multimedia key support showed me different results than when using ordinary keys - but my head can take only as much of an ache]
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

So please either indulge yourself trying to locate core of those issues
Oh I know what and where the issue is. The problem is that fixing it will mean a significant design change/re0implementation - and that is going to take time (potentially an awful lot of time!)
but my head can take only as much of an ache
I feel your pain!!! lol
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

But in 2.20 Beta 10 if I choose anything for the Middle Mouse Button in Default Profile, then their combined setup breaks.
This statement worries me - any more info? What breaks? I wouldn't have expected the default profile to come into play here - and maybe thats something I need to check on before proceeding?
--[ Phil ]--
Lores
Dedicated

Post by Lores »

phil wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:34 am
But in 2.20 Beta 10 if I choose anything for the Middle Mouse Button in Default Profile, then their combined setup breaks.
This statement worries me - any more info?
[...]
Hmmm...

I cannot seem to be able to repeat that ill-behavior

So either that headache of mine clouded by mental capabilities - or something wrong really was happening in form of some imprinted bug that now got wiped out?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

... Or there is a random bug that only happens sometimes (I hope not - they are the worst to track down).

For now I will hope it is the mind clouded option :D - but if you do notice it again, let me know so I can help diagnose it.
--[ Phil ]--