Windows Magnifier glitches

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Lores
Dedicated

Windows Magnifier glitches

Post by Lores »

Before I indulge myself in a potentially lengthy posts with details, I will ask a simple questions: have anyone experienced various glitches when running Magnify.exe with X-Mouse Button Control - or with other similar programs on Windows 10?

I have been using AutoHotkey for various tweaks and already had some problems with, also in conjunctions with Microsoft Screen Magnifier - plus AutoHotkey is just hard to use for a small time coder like me. So I tried using HotkeyP, just for turning it ON and OFF - and run into some more issues. So then I decided to ditch HotkeyP and switch to X-Mouse Button Control, in regards to Magnifier for that purpose of opening and closing of it - only to find, that apparently the very same glitches occur

And thus as this suggests to me that Magnify.exe is just inherently bad program, or that X-Mouse Button Control just happens handle it in the same bad way as HotkeyP, I will now indulge in expanding my original question:

A] have someone experienced similar problem: of Magnify.exe not running / cooperating correctly with one hotkey software and later with also with X-Mouse Button Control [or the other way around]?

B] have someone managed to tame Magnify.exe glitches?

C] have someone being unable to tame Magnify.exe glitches stopped having those issues after switching to some other magnifying program?

[As as you can maybe already see, I can either follow the path of spending time on: #1] trying to overcome problems in X-Mouse Button Control; #2] trying out another hotkey software or going back to HotkeyP; #3] trying out another magnifying software; - all of which options seem like succumbing to dragging themselves for many headache inducing hours]
Lores
Dedicated

Re: Windows Magnifier glitches

Post by Lores »

Well, anyone?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I'm sorry but I can't actually see where you have described what problem(s) you are having with magnifier?
You say you use hotkeyp to turn magnifier on/off but haven't said that symptoms you are seeing - and there is little point guessing.

I suppose the only answer I can give, is to your generic question "have anyone experienced various glitches when running Magnify.exe...":
Yes, I have seen glitches with magnifier before. It (magnifier) is flaky, and I have seen glitches and tried to work around them in code in XMBC itself (specifically to do with turning it off if I recall), but I don't really use magnifier much myself so I have no idea of any more detail. As you haven't really stated the exact problem, I can't be much more specific and I'm not really surprised you no response (I mean its pretty quiet here anyway!).
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
Lores
Dedicated

Post by Lores »

phil wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:43 pm [...]
Yes, I have seen glitches with magnifier before. It (magnifier) is flaky, and I have seen glitches
Such statement coming out from somebody like you is valuable for me
phil wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:43 pm and tried to work around them in code in XMBC itself (specifically to do with turning it off if I recall)
[...]
But did you managed to achieve whatever it was you were trying to workaround - or failed?

Because
Lores wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:47 pm [...]
C] have someone being unable to tame Magnify.exe glitches stopped having those issues after switching to some other magnifying program?
[...]
i.e. I have a choice of either indulging with dealing with Magnifier issues or trying out [and potentially futilely wasting time on some] third part tool
Last edited by Lores on Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

The "glitches" I had to work around were to do with turning it on and off, particularly turning it off for the "toggle magnifier on/off" command... There was no simple way, so the work around was to force magnifier to close to turn it off. So it searches for the magnifier window (of class 'MagUIClass' or 'MagUIIconClass') and if it finds it, it terminates it (sends it a WM_QUIT message), if its not there, it stats a new instance of magnifier.exe.

That's all I did, and yes it worked, but I don't use it enough to know or care much more than that.

So I'm afraid I can't really answer your question
I have a choice of either indulging with dealing with Magnifier issues or trying out [and potentially futilely wasting time on some] third part tool
because I simply don't use it enough to have any idea, and I have never tried any 3rd party magnifiers. Nor do I have any idea what glitches you are referring to (still) all of which makes it pretty much impossible to answer with any confidence!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)