M X Master 3

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
gravanoc
New User

M X Master 3

Post by gravanoc »

Please fill in this template when posting!
XMBC Version: 2.19.1
Installed or Portable version: ?
Windows Version: 11 Pro
Mouse Information (brand/model): MX Master 3
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): MSI GS77 Laptop
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): N/A
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): N/A
How long have you used XMBC?: 30 min
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: QWERTY English

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).: Simple question I hope. I bought the M X Master, hoping it would be an upgrade to my CadMouse, but the damn thing doesn't do macros. Unbelievable. I did a search and found this software, but I am not sure whether it will work with my mouse. I understand the 5 mouse button issue, but am uncertain which those 5 mouse buttons are. There are two buttons commonly referred to as XButton 1 and XButton 2 on other mice, and I assume they might be the same name for this mouse. I've been pressing them in the app I setup to use, but nothing turns orange. Does this mean it's a no-go with them?
gravanoc
New User

Re: M X Master 3

Post by gravanoc »

Update: I should also mention I have Logi Options installed. Will this cause a conflict? I noticed that while I had the Forward action bound to one of the XButtons that it would turn the Mouse Button 4 orange. But it won't utilize the macro I have setup. The only macro that is working is for Wheel Up, but Wheel Down macro doesn't work.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Hummmm... This could be complex, but maybe not. Logi options may be the culprit here, but I'm not sure because I don't have any of the MX series (plenty of other Logitech mice)

Normally its a question of getting the right settings, generally button 4 & 5 (Xbutton4/5) are, without any Logitech/Microsoft/XMBC software, forward and back (in browsers/explorer etc). Often the Logitech software intercepts this (before XMBC gets a look in) so it is a case of working out how to configure button 4 & 5 to be "default" windows actions. Setting it to froward/back may work. Sometimes, simply closing/uninstalling the Logitech software works - but that depends on the mouse. I believe the MX mice require the Logitech software to implement the tilt functions by pressing a side button and the wheel (this is rather abnormal and may be a problem with XMBC).

Simply put, if XMBC is not highlighting the button presses in Orange, then something else is manipulating them before the messages get to the standard Windows message queue. You may be able to influence this with the mouse software, or by removing the mouse software etc. In my case, I generally try not to use the Logitech software but my Logi mice seem to function OK without it :)
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
cableghost

Post by cableghost »

Phil- I notice that X-Mouse does not react to my Logi MX Master 3 Thumb wheel. I'm assuming this is a specific Logi driver feature and not using a basic Windows mouse hook?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I would guess so - if the dropdown boxes do not highlight in XMBC. You may be able to configure it such that it works in the logitech software, not sure but usually that's possible (with buttons, don't know about the scroll wheel)
--[ Phil ]--
cableghost

Post by cableghost »

That is true, however, I want a 'Modifier'. Logi doesn't use modifiers, w/ basic keyboards yet.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Cant you use both together?? I know running Logi is a PITA and its quite large and memory intensive, but they should work together!
--[ Phil ]--
cableghost

Post by cableghost »

Oh yeah, I'm running both. As a default, I want my Thumb wheel to scroll desktops... I love that feature as I use 4 virtual desktops.

However, I have a few apps I would also like to use the thumb wheel in, ie. Excel, my trading platform, etc. W/O a modifier, I cannot do both w/ Logi Options+. Not sure why Logi is so reluctant on introducing modifiers, since they are are generally available anyhow.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Oh I see, you cant configure Logi+ to send the commands that XMBC works with...
On my desktop I have a Logitech G604 but that does not use Logi Options+, instead it uses Logitech G Hub (why do they have to have different products!).
However, on my laptop, I have a Logitech M720 which also uses Logi Options+ (M720) and that is working perfectly with XMBC (all 5 buttons, scroll and (I think) horizontal tilt - which I presume is the same as the thumb wheel, but I don't know for sure - does the scroll wheel tilt too?). There is a hidden 6th button which I cant remap in XMBC for the obvious given reasons, but it can be configured (of sorts) in the Options+ software.

So while I don't have the MX3, I would have thought, as the software is the same, it should be possible to configure Options+ to send the default messages that XMBC relies upon. Maybe this isn't the case, its difficult to know for sure without the MX3.

To be clear, to get buttons 4 and 5 working (in XMBC) you have to configure them in Options+ to send the "default" messages that Windows will pass through the XMBC. Normally to do that, you have to set one of those buttons as "Back" and the other to "Forward" (That is what 5 button mice without configuration software will send when the buttons are pressed). The scroll wheel though, as I said before I have never had to remap that in Logitech software to get it working in XMBC, but maybe the MX3 is different, I don't understand why it would detect scroll up but not scroll down - that is odd!

If you can, try setting the thumb wheel to horizontal scroll and see if it then highlights in XMBC tilt combo boxes)?

I will have to go turn on my laptop and see what can be changed in logi options+ if your still stuck.
--[ Phil ]--
cableghost

Post by cableghost »

I'm getting somewhere... When you mentioned about the 'defaults', I changed the Thumb Wheel in Options+ to 'Horizontal Scroll' as you recommended and sure enough, XM ID Tilt Wheel as such. I'll play around w/ this setting. Thanks!

Edit: In the end, I had to scrap this idea. For some reason, XM loses 'control/connection' of the mouse Tilt function. It will start working, and then completely lose connection and the tilt function stops working. This doesn't occur w/ the other buttons.