XMBC has no priority for Mouse mapping ;(

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
AKIMAN
New User

XMBC has no priority for Mouse mapping ;(

Post by AKIMAN »

Hi, I want just to remap my new mouse and XMBC could be strong tool for me.
My new mouse is kinda cheap UGREEN brand and it has 5 buttons.

The 4th button is fixed for EMOJI keyboard short cut and 5th makes nothing as defalt WIN setting.

After I installed XMBC, always this mouse follows Windows defaut setting and XMBC setting window can recognize these 4th and 5th buttons sometimes & not always, and often not at all.
Well,,, restarting my PC and nothing changed.
So seems XMBC has NO priority for remapping mouse control,,, so I m so annoying for this limit.
Strangely, these mouse control options had worked a ew months ago but after recent windows updated, I can NOT USE 4th and 5th buttons ;( Any idea ? Via Command operation ? cheers
phil
Site Admin

Re: XMBC has no priority for Mouse mapping ;(

Post by phil »

What do you mean by priority for mouse mapping?

XMBC relies on the device sending the default windows mouse messages as it intercepts those messages in a low level mouse hook. If the buttons do not highlight, it means either your mouse if not sending these standard windows messages OR something else is intercepting them and changing them before XMBC gets a look in.

Either way, if XMBC does not see the messages (for whatever reason) it will not be able to remap the buttons.

Some mice (Logitech) can configure the buttons in the Logtiech software, and by default the buttons often do not send the standard messages, but you can change that in the Logitech (SetPoint/Logitech Options/Logitech HUb) software. If your mouse comes with no configuration software and yet still does not send the default windows mouse messages then your out of luck I guess.

What mouse driver is the mouse using (look in device manager). If it is not the "HID-compliant mouse" maybe you could try using that driver instead (but that may not be easy/possible - depends on the mouse itself).
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
AKIMAN
New User

Post by AKIMAN »

Wow, Big thanks for light speed reply.
This mouse that I bought via AMAZON is UGREEN brand and plug and play type device.
I had tried to find "Generic Driver" for 5 buttons mouse but HP, Dell, Logitech etc, all should use their own brand products and these drivers are not working for "generic 5th button mouses" ;(
I think it's a bit strangee for big public users but well it's is like this way.

I m still curious for the reason why XMBC or othermouse remapping softs can NOT dominate these basic control iniciatives. I mean always default WIN setting go always fast ;(
I removed basic mouse driver from my win PC and reinstalled new but nothing change.
uuum, Also when I bought this mouse 3-4 months ago, 4th and 5th buttons works as it is = forward and back fonctions... nd now always defaut EMOJI keyboard open for 4th .

Any command option can change setting or give XMBC 100% control ?
AKIMAN
New User

Post by AKIMAN »

Sorry me again,
right, I have re-tested XMBC fonctions and it seems 3 buttons are correctly modified via XMBC ;)
And only 4th and 5th buttons are NOT manipulated via XMBC. So XMBC is working for default 3 buttons.^
On control setting page, when I click 4th button, color is not changing to Yellow like other buttons ;( So XMBC could not recognize 4th buttons
Now it's question,,, why these 2 buttons, only 4th and 5th are NOT Following XMBC commande ;(
Mid button on scroll roulette also working with XMBC but not 4th and 5th buttons ???
I ahev tested with different PCs on windows , always 4th and 5th buttons are not controlled via XMBC, this is this chaep mouse problem ???
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

As I said earlier, XMBC intercepts STANDARD WINDOWS MOUSE MESSAGES. Standard mouse messages, as you know because I'm sure you have read the FAQ, support up to five buttons + scroll wheel and tilt (for mice with tilt wheel function). BUT there in no guarantee that the mouse driver will actually send any of these messages. Its most likely that buttons 1-3 will be fine but often buttons 4 and 5 can be reprogrammed to not send these messages but do something else instead. This is hardware/driver specific and usually, if programmable, the mouse will have software to do so - this wont be the case with generic mice!

NOTE: The default actions for button 4 and 5, in windows with noting changed, should be back (4) and forwards (5) (in explorer/web browser).
If they are not doing that (as you suggest) and they are not sending the normal messages, it surely means something else is intercepting/changing the defaults.

However, if it worked once, even briefly, then the answer is pretty simple (but the solution may not be). Something has changed to cause the mouse messages for button 4 and 5 to be changed before XMBC is seeing them. Any software can install a mouse hook and intercept/change the messages (just like XMBC does). Unfortunately there is NO way to know what (if any) other software be hooking the mouse, nor is it possible to specify the order of hooks. Windows simply does not provide any way to see what has "hooked" the mouse - complain to Microsoft on that front! The last hook to install itself will get called first (so exiting and restarting XMBC should ensure it is called before any other hooks - assuming the other hooks are not re-installed at any point!).

So, to repeat, if XMBC is not seeing the messages for button 4 and 5, then either your mouse is NOT sending those standard mouse messages at all OR some other software is changing the messages before XMBC then XMBC will not see/remap the buttons.

As you failed to fill in the post template when you first posted (the template is there for a reason and not to be deleted!), I have nothing more to go on, I don't even know what version of XMBC or Windows you are using - perhaps you would be so good as to fill in the details requested in the forum rules AND the post template next time!"

I can not speculate any further on what may be causing this - do you have any other software installed that might be messing with the button messages?

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)