Use Windows settings for scrolling

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
tvb1
New User

Use Windows settings for scrolling

Post by tvb1 »

Please fill in this template when posting!
XMBC Version: 2.19.2
Installed or Portable version: Installed
Windows Version: Windows 11 with newest updates
Mouse Information (brand/model): Several including Contour RollerMouse Red and an ancient Logitech Cordless Mouse
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc):
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): Not that I noticed.
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): Not that I noticed.
How long have you used XMBC?: A few years
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: Danish

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:
I use XMBC only for two purposes: 1) to add axis locking modifier keys, and 2) to set mouse wheel button/middle button to double-click, which I can't do in the current version of Windows' own mouse settings . This means that XMBC has been running quietly in the background since I last set up a new pc, until I almost forgot abpout it, and that I blamed another application for resetting the scroll distance every time I changed it in Windows Settings. It hadn't occurred to me that XMBC would control scroll distance when Wheel Up and Wheel Down were both set to "No Change (Don't Intercept". But now I realize that XMBC's settings in the Scrolling tab (which were set to 3 lines) must have been doing the resetting. Which of course is what it is supposed to do...

I only have a single (default) profile in XMBC.

My question is: Is there a way to setup XMBC to NOT control scrolling distance, but just leave it to be controlled by the general Windows Settings?
There seem to be so many other settings in XMBC with a "no change", "ignore" or "override" choice, but I can't seem to find this one.

Would it be easy to add such a choice checkbox in the Scrolling tab? Or some other form of telling XMBC to "only control these few things I've actively changed, and ignore all others"?
The point would be for users like me who don't actively (or consciously) use XMBC every day to avoid getting confused as to which app is controlling the mouse.

Of course, I could just begin setting scrolling distance from XMBC in stead of using Windows Settings, but I would rather be able to think of XMBC as a nice little program that only I setup on reinstallation along with a keyboard remapper and similar tools.

And I'm grateful that there are people out there building free and useful tools like this ;-)
phil
Site Admin

Re: Use Windows settings for scrolling

Post by phil »

XMBC *should* only mess with scrolling speed and cursor speeds (I presume that is what you mean) if you actually set them in XMBC profiles (or general settings). If you don't change these numbers/sliders in XMBC, then XMBC it should not be changing anything?
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
tvb1
New User

Re: Use Windows settings for scrolling

Post by tvb1 »

I meant scrolling distance per notch on the mouse scroll wheel, not scrolling speed or cursor speed. In the Scrolling tab (in the settings for my only, Default profile) there is a box to input number of "Lines to scroll using the scroll wheel". I don't see an option to leave this empty. If I delete the number, it reverts to 0.

When the number of lines to scroll is set to 0 in XMBC, then the Settings app in Windows 11 shows "1 line to scroll", and the scroll wheel is inactive in Firefox and Word, but for some reason scrolls 3 rows in Excel. Which means that inputting a zero in XMBC doesn't correspond to "leaving it empty".