Volume wheel not working

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
coreogre
New User

Volume wheel not working

Post by coreogre »

XMBC Version: v2.19.2
Installed or Portable version: Installed
Windows Version: 10
Mouse Information (brand/model): Speedlink prime z-dw
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): Ryzen 7
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): no
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): unknown
How long have you used XMBC?: a couple of days
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: english

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).: This has been going on for a few months and I found this software that looked like the best bet to resolve this issue, but after pouring through the forums, I have not had any luck. I have a mouse with a volume wheel separate from the mouse wheel, and for the past 6 months or so, it has caused issues with windows. After installing XBMC, I did find that it is because the volume wheel (both directions) is emulating mouse button 4 (set to back by windows currently), and that is causing issues with windows. Because I was able to find out that, I have been able to stop the computer from freezing or crashing as much, but I would like to be able to use the mouse volume wheel again if anyone has any idea on how to best use XMBC to control that better.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Volume wheel not working

Post by phil »

Firstly, I'm not familiar with the device, so I'm working on only what you said above.

I presume the volume wheel does not change the volume any more? If its just sending the one button 4 message (for both directions) then there must either be some funky (not normal) flags in the message somehow to say which way the wheel moved, or it simply does not work, perhaps without the correct mouse drivers for the device itself?

You may be able to remap button 4 in XMBC but if both directions send the same button (as far as XMBC is concerned), you would only ever be able to map it to one thing, no matter the direction you moved the wheel.

Not sure there is anything else that can be done (at least not without the mouse and inspecting the messages that it actually sends). You could try turning on debug logging in XMBC, then press the wheel, in each direction a few times. Debug logging should log all the arguments/flags sent by the mouse with the button message - and it might show if there is anything different between the two directions. If you do that, send me a copy of the log and I will see if there is anything obvious, but even if there is something, that would mean changes to the software to detect and handle said differences, which to be honest, is not all that likely for a single, uncommon device so I make no promises!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
coreogre
New User

Post by coreogre »

Strangly, the volume up and down still works just fine. It's just added the functionality of MB4 to it in addition to both volume up and volume down. I can send you the log file, do you want me to just paste it in here?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

You can paste it here if you want the debug log is quite verbose!... If you put it inside the code tags it makes it more manageable!... Or email it to me its just phil AT the domain name above (without the forums bit!)... I know you cant upload attachments - you need 4 or 5 posts before that is enabled...
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
coreogre
New User

Post by coreogre »

I sent it to you, let me know if you didn't get it for any reason, and thanks again.