Settings - Other hotkeys

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
BoseRoHS

Settings - Other hotkeys

Post by BoseRoHS »

I am using a hotkey to enable/disable xmouse Shift+l, while xmouse is running this disables the ability to use the capital L mark.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Settings - Other hotkeys

Post by phil »

You'll have to choose a different hotkey then. That's how global hotkeys work in Windows!
Or use caps lock to make the capital letter of course!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
BoseRoHS

Post by BoseRoHS »

donkey braying
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Sorry, I have no idea what whats supposed to mean.
I have no control over how hotkeys in Windows work. Its standard Windows functionality, any program that allows configurable hotkeys using the Windows hotkey framework will suffer the same. Once a hot key is registered, it is intercepted by Windows and redirected to the hotkey target. The only sensible option is to choose a suitable hotkey. Whilst I could go to lots of effort to not allow certain combinations, its simply not worth it when you can just choose something sensible that does not interfere with normal operation of the computer (and that will likely be different for different users!).
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
BoseRoHS

Post by BoseRoHS »

phil wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:13 am Sorry, I have no idea what whats supposed to mean.
I have no control over how hotkeys in Windows work. Its standard Windows functionality
Nothing against you. It was a response towards Microsoft. The same occurs with shortcuts with Shift+1,2,3,... expecting the alternate function (!,@,#,...) in a text editor, while the particular key combination is setup in xmouse. It doesn't make any sense either way.

I understand there is not much you can do. When it comes to shortcut keys, there is no sensible way... it's user preference and what's convenient for the user. I prefer Shift+ vs Ctrl+ or any other sort of combination, but as mentioned here are broken because of Microsofts inability to comprehend the diversity of its users. At least Linux understands that not all of its users have five fingers, eyeballs, limbs, etc.

QWERTY was made universal due to its robustness. Imagine a keyboard layout designed by Microsoft. :angel: :birth: (D) :shock:

It's similar to Chrome disallowing the ability to change shortcut keys or disable particular shortcut keys and the only way around it is by installing a third-party addon.