XMBC 2.16 Beta

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
phil
Site Admin

Re: XMBC 2.16 Beta

Post by phil »

That's quite possibly the problem... I said i would try and look at it tonight - I still intend to do so.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

maxoku wrote:
phil wrote:
maxoku wrote:Pressed button issue is also on Win7 (classic style).
As I thought I had explained before, I have had so many problems with the drawing of those buttons, I don't want to change them out of fear of making it "much worse" again - previously the buttons simply disappeared randomly on all OS's (and generally I couldn't recreate it here) and I don't want to risk going back to that.
What drawing are you talking about? The icon? There is nothing wrong with the icon itself. Is the button behavior (background of the icon). It is different on luna style and classic style, cuz they work differently, so I guess you could just set them both separately. I think it's something with refreshing.
I'm talking about the drawing of the button that has an icon on it.
XMBC is C++ (MFC/Win32 mix) which does not have picture buttons by default so I used an open source custom drawn control. Unfortunately its not perfect and I spent quite some time tinkering with it because of various drawing issues. The code is supposed to respect theme options but maybe the un-themed code either needs further tinkering or is simply not right. Either way, I don't want to go there now because of all the trouble I had with this code, and the pain we all went through in 2.14 and 2.15 betas with random disappearing buttons. I was all set to release v2.16 a few weeks ago. That has changed now (mostly because of the issues you and a few others reported) but I still want to finish up with 2.16 soon because there are some fixed over 2.15 that I think people should have. worrying about petty issues (that wont affect the majority of users) is only going to slow things down and the average user misses out for longer.

This is not a new problem therefore it does not get such high attention. It also does not effect "default" systems with themes enabled so again, its not going to get super high attention. I have raised the issue in my bug tracker (with medium - or was it low) priority... It might get fixed in the next beta run - it might not.

At the end of the day, its my project, my time and my life so I spend it how I choose, trying to make judgements on what will have the most/best impact for the most users (and me).
phil wrote:
maxoku wrote:A scrolling problem on Win8.1 in tray icons settings.
That one I simply don't understand. Need a clearer example so I can try and reproduce it here.
maxoku wrote:In some places scrolling under cursor doesn't work. I was checking tray icons settings and wheel didn't work at all. I've added new profile for explorer and was checking the methods. Seems something worked, but not completely. When I hovered on drop boxes (without dropping them) it didn't work. If I clicked on any then I was scrolling this certain box independently which box I hovered.
See this is what I mean about more information... You still have not given me anything to narrow down to the application or window that's causing a problem. The system tray contains many items - do they all not work or is there a specific example?

Scroll window under cursor (much like change Movement to Scroll) works by redirecting the mouse wheel messages to the window under the cursor. I dot know if that window is going to accept those messages - most do, some badly written ones don't. To be honest, its not my problem its the badly written window's problem. I have got about 50 or so "special cases£ already coded into XMBC and of course, you can create your own special cases with profiles and using the "Scrolling" tab.

So unless there are particular scenarios I can hard code in (if you actually tell me the application and window - maybe a screenshot or even a video (that's what most of the GOOD bug reports contain) then I might stand a chance of diagnosing and creating a solution. If you cant do that, then try creating a window specific profile and changing the scrolling options for that window.

XMBC can only do so much - it cant re-write the code (and therefore operation) of other windows. It can just send messages and maybe different messages depending on what its sending to!

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

JTB3 wrote:
maxoku wrote:@JTB3
It seems a desired behavior to activate the hovered specific window. E.g. if there are several text edit boxes then it would activate the hovered one specifically not only the window itself. I guess Phil could add two options, one to activate a specific window and one to activate the parent window or something.
I think you are likely accurate in diagnosing the probable cause here, Maxoku! In the case of 'File Explorer' windows, It probably has to do with XMBC activating a 'control' subpanel vs the 'parent window' (or something related!). Thx for pointing this out. :)
You are right - unfortunately this is turning into a nightmare scenario... From what I can see, its pretty much impossible to tell if the window should be activated or not.

I can check if the parent(s) already have focus and if so, not activate, but then that stops it activating a text box if the dialog has focus...

So no quick fix for this... Its going to take some serious research into window classes and structures - and this never ends well going by previous experience...
--[ Phil ]--
JTB3
Dedicated

Post by JTB3 »

phil wrote: So no quick fix for this... Its going to take some serious research into window classes and structures - and this never ends well going by previous experience...
Sorry to hear of this :(
phil wrote: I can check if the parent(s) already have focus and if so, not activate, but then that stops it activating a text box if the dialog has focus...
This actually would solve the issue I've reported! :)
Can you at least do this? (the capability to activate a 'text box' seems less critical, IMHO)
System: Win10 Pro-x64 v1702+v1607, Intel i7-7700K (Z270) + i7-4771 (Z87)
Logitech M570 Wireless (5-Button) Trackball + M705 (5-Button) Marathon Mouse
[Bay Area, California]
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

JTB3 wrote:
phil wrote: So no quick fix for this... Its going to take some serious research into window classes and structures - and this never ends well going by previous experience...
Sorry to hear of this :(
phil wrote: I can check if the parent(s) already have focus and if so, not activate, but then that stops it activating a text box if the dialog has focus...
This actually would solve the issue I've reported! :)
Can you at least do this? (the capability to activate a 'text box' seems less critical, IMHO)
Yes it does stop that (with explorer)...
As for the rest, it might be OK for you and your close actions but not so good if you want to paste into an edit box (Maxoku).
I've come up with something thats better than nothing and better than beta 16.
I will push out a new beta once I have added the texts to the simkeys window and language packs (probably not tonight).
--[ Phil ]--
JTB3
Dedicated

Post by JTB3 »

phil wrote: I've come up with something thats better than nothing and better than beta 16.
I will push out a new beta once I have added the texts to the simkeys window and language packs (probably not tonight).
Great! Much appreciated :)
[Bay Area, California]
maxoku
Committed

Post by maxoku »

phil wrote:See this is what I mean about more information... You still have not given me anything to narrow down to the application or window that's causing a problem. The system tray contains many items - do they all not work or is there a specific example?
It's the window where you can set if tray icons are suppose to be visible or hidden. There are drop boxes with 3 choices. It's a Windows window and I tweaked it with explorer.exe profile. When I changed the method scrolling started to work for scrolling the window, but there was still some bug with that drop boxes. I don't have Win 8.1 so I can't make you screens (at least at the moment) or especially a video^^. To go to it right click on task bar and there properties or settings and click or button with notification in label or something. I can't be more specific than that^^.
phil wrote:Yes it does stop that (with explorer)...
As for the rest, it might be OK for you and your close actions but not so good if you want to paste into an edit box (Maxoku).
I've come up with something that's better than nothing and better than beta 16.
Couldn't you just put two options? One to activate only the main window and the second for activating specific windows (like it's now)? You could call the second one {FOCUS} and tell it to activate the specific window (e.g. text boxes, like it's now) and after that to activate the parent window as well like you intend to do with the main {ACTIVATE} function. Or I could just use one after the other and it might work then.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

maxoku wrote:
phil wrote:See this is what I mean about more information... You still have not given me anything to narrow down to the application or window that's causing a problem. The system tray contains many items - do they all not work or is there a specific example?
It's the window where you can set if tray icons are suppose to be visible or hidden. There are drop boxes with 3 choices. It's a Windows window and I tweaked it with explorer.exe profile. When I changed the method scrolling started to work for scrolling the window, but there was still some bug with that drop boxes. I don't have Win 8.1 so I can't make you screens (at least at the moment) or especially a video^^. To go to it right click on task bar and there properties or settings and click or button with notification in label or something. I can't be more specific than that^^.
Ah OK now I got it! Unfortunatly that window no longer exists on Win 10 so its back to the VMs to test....
maxoku wrote:
phil wrote:Yes it does stop that (with explorer)...
I've come up with something that's better than nothing and better than beta 16.
Couldn't you just put two options? One to activate only the main window and the second for activating specific windows (like it's now)? You could call the second one {FOCUS} and tell it to activate the specific window (e.g. text boxes, like it's now) and after that to activate the parent window as well like you intend to do with the main {ACTIVATE} function. Or I could just use one after the other and it might work then.
I think I have it covered in 2.16 beta 17 - we shall see tomorrow... if not the adding a separate option might be the best bet - if more work for the translators... At least the framework is in place now for simkey action tags :)
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Here is 2.16 Beta 17.

If you have check for beta versions enabled, you should get notified of a new version and prompted to update in the next day or so. This is the most efficient method (bandwidth wise) as the updates are only a fraction of the size of the full install. Otherwise, you can get the full installation beta HERE. Note that this link will always get you the latest beta version!

Only one real change in this one, to try and fix JTB3's issues wit the feature added to beta 16.... I'll look at Maxoku's remaining issues in the next beta!
Changes since v2.16 Beta 16:
  • #488 - Modified behaviour of the new {ACTIVATE} simkey tag.
  • - Added translations for the new items introduced in Beta 16
There are some changes in the translation template for 2.16 beta 17.

Any problems, PM me a copy of the log file (or post a snippet in a code block here).

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
maxoku
Committed

Post by maxoku »

Well, works the same for me. :(
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I've already had confirmation from JTB3 that the changes in 2.16b17 fix his issues (which was the main point).

The code now explicitly looks for controls with the EDIT, BUTTON and a few other window classes. Debug logging should give away what the class if of the window under the cursor and perhaps enough information for me to see whats going on.

Of course, you didn't provide any debug log for me so I cant say any more - I cant do anything with the wonderful amount of detail you did gave me there. Quite frankly I'm tired of this now - so no changes to the activate tag until you can provide me with enough information to see whats going on. Send me the debug log, and also it might be a good idea to send me an export fo your settings so I can try and recreate your environment and issues in full.
--[ Phil ]--
JTB3
Dedicated

Re: XMBC 2.16 Beta (Pesky Issue Related to new 'Explorer (Desktop)' profile)

Post by JTB3 »

First off Phil, A multitude of thanks for all the additions, betas, and fixes you've recently incorporated into XMBC. These changes have brought XMBC to a whole new level of utility - and this is really appreciated! :)

Now on to the Pesky issue that I believe got introduced with the explorer.exe (desktop) window profile change in Beta 15. This issue is UNRELATED to any of the new {ACTIVATE} tag development - Simply reverting back to 2.16-Beta 14 corrects the problem - Betas 15, 16, and 17 all suffer from the same issue.

Symptom: After an XMBC app/window or default profile issues either a window 'Close' command or '{ALT}{F4}' symkeys, the profile under the cursor inconsistently fails to engage normally (if one appliess), especially one associated with the new 'explorer.exe (desktop)' process.

I'm attaching two videos that show the problem and I'm also attaching a saved 'settings profile' that you could load on your end to demo the issue. I'll try first to explain briefly...

For Example: In my default profile, I've assigned '{ALT}{F4}' symkeys to the 'Middle Button' - and In my 'Desktop' window profile, I've assigned the 'Media-Vol Up/Down' commands to the mouse wheel (which does nothing on the desktop anyway). Normally when I click the 'middle button' on an active window, XMBC closes it and then immediately activates the profile underneath the cursor, but after the beta 15 update (with the new explorer.exe (desktop) window profile change), the (desktop) profile is NOT activated and I'm no longer able to adjust the media volume with the mouse wheel - until I move the cursor over another window or the taskbar, which somehow triggers XMBC to sense the correct profile under the cursor. (Yes I did remake a new 'Desktop' window profile).

As stated earlier, this abnormal behavior 1st started in v2.16 Beta 15 and is a pretty serious issue. I'm sure this is simply an unexpected development bug rearing it's head :twisted:

This 1st video here demonstrates the normal proper functioning of v2.16 Beta 14:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/plysnchhe6h6m ... Proper.mp4
(downloading the mp4 files might yield better quality)

This 2nd video shows the error behavior using the same actions and profile settings running in Beta 17:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k37wlu2lbfaxz ... -Error.mp4

Finally, Here is the saved setting profile that will (hopefully/easily) reproduce the issue on your end:
JTB3s-XMBC-Profile.zip
I'm sure that this is not the best of news for you on this day! But I did my best to make it as easy as possible to understand and reproduce the bug. Any help resolving this is super appreciated! :) -JT
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[Bay Area, California]
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

WOW :)

Now thats what I call a bug report - well done - a fantastic example to all :).
Because of that detail, I reproduced the problem here easily, found it and fixed it all in less than 10 minutes :)

It was related to the change (desktop) but actually could have happened before in some circumstances - it was just guaranteed to go wrong since the change to the (desktop) profiles :).

It will be fixed in the next beta - I will try and fix some of Maxoku's issues before releasing it though.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
JTB3
Dedicated

Post by JTB3 »

phil wrote:Now thats what I call a bug report - well done - a fantastic example to all :).
Because of that detail, I reproduced the problem here easily, found it and fixed it all in less than 10 minutes :)
It will be fixed in the next beta - I will try and fix some of Maxoku's issues before releasing it though.
Thanks, Phil
Thx Phil! I'm so glad the extra effort made a real difference. :) Looking forward to Beta 18.
-JT
[Bay Area, California]
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Maxoku (and others)...
Ive found the problem with the button drawing with no themes - its actually less of an issue (side-effect wise) than I thought so I will be fixing it.
--[ Phil ]--