XP 32bit autostart problems possible workaround

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
TCT24
New User

XP 32bit autostart problems possible workaround

Post by TCT24 »

hello phil,

first of all - great piece of software. it has become an inherent part of my work, using it with several daws (cubase etc.) for months. it worked perfectly together with my logitech g600 & logitech gaming software 8.35 / 8.40.

the more disappointed I was when i did a fresh install of my windows xp (32bit) partition. after reinstalling all the drivers and programs including xmbc 2.5 it was impossible to autostart xmbc with windows. manually starting worked in most cases, but not every time. the log always displayed the following:

15-01-2013 11:10:48> X-Mouse Button Control v2.5 (x86) Startup. Commandline '/notportable'
15-01-2013 11:10:48> Running on Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
15-01-2013 11:10:48> Hooking the mouse...
...and that's it.

i expirienced the same issue on a xp-system at my work. i was able to fix it there using the portable version, but on my daw-system the portable version also did not autostart. i tried everything: re- and overinstalling xmbc before, after and without logitech gaming software, manually entries in the run-keys of the registry, installing v2.6 beta - nothing worked to get xmbc autostarting.

finally i created a batch file including a delay of 30 seconds before starting the xmbc exe and placed its link in the autostart folder instead of the original link. and voila - the xmbc symbol appeared after rebooting correctly in the system tray.

so far i got it working (hope so...) and it seems that in some cases xmbc needs a delayed start to detect the mouse correctly. this could affect some of the autostart problems reported here in the forum. you may take a look at the xmousebuttonhook.dll to fix it, another idea would be to implement an option to enter a manual delay in the setup configurations to retard the mouse hooking. this would be a great feature for v2.6 :D . if there is already another workaround for this issue, please let me know.

i hope this helps other users who experienced the same problem. if you need more information, just reply.
as soon as i found out more i will tell it here.

all the best,
TCT24.
phil
Site Admin

Re: XP 32bit autostart problems possible workaround

Post by phil »

Lol, everyone else is saying XMBC takes too long to start, and you want it delayed :)
I would rather find the cause of the problem than add a delay but you might be right, it might be a quick fix.

However, the delay is not needed for XMBC to "detect the mouse". XMBC is not a driver and does no hardware detection. It simply hooks windows mouse messages. Its much more likely that something is interfering with the hook, or a bug is causing XMBC to crash. What I really want to do is fix the crash dump, so when it crashes, it logs why - I thought I had done that but I know its not working properly.

Tthanks for the info.
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)