XMBC 2.11 Beta

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
WayHow47

Re: XMBC 2.11 Beta

Post by WayHow47 »

Hello Phil,

Intermittent problem did come back while running the latest beta. Going back to the release.

Again, the problem is intermittent and it did not arise for the first two days. I'm thinking that it has something to do with the mouse which I've had for many years. I'm just keeping you informed in case, however unlikely, it does have something to do with the beta. When I do have the problem, unplugging and repluging this USB mouse detects it - again sounds like a hardware issue.

I will see if it comes back after several days. This is a special Perfit mouse by Contour Designs. I also have a new one in the box I can try. I have not switched to it because I like the old one a bit better.

Wayne
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK thanks for the update - there is no rush as I'm not just about to release 2.11 - I agreer lets give it some time and try and be sure... :)

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK, here is XMBC v2.11 Beta 7.

If you have check for beta versions enabled, you should get notified of a new version and prompted to update in the next day or so. This is the most efficient method (bandwidth wise) as the updates are only a fraction of the size of the full install. Otherwise, you can get the full installation beta HERE.

Changes since v2.11 Beta 6:
  • #301 - Modified code to try and prevent crash after sleep - it should not crash but the volume may not change via the OSD. Please let me know if this is the case, and provide the log file.
Any problems, PM me a copy of the log file (or post a snippet in a code block here).
Any crashes, please PM me a copy of the XMBCExceptionNNN.log file!

There are no new translations in this one.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK, here is XMBC v2.11 Beta 8.

If you have check for beta versions enabled, you should get notified of a new version and prompted to update in the next day or so. This is the most efficient method (bandwidth wise) as the updates are only a fraction of the size of the full install. Otherwise, you can get the full installation beta HERE.

Changes since v2.11 Beta 7:
  • #301 - Attempt to re-initialise volume endpoint upon failure (eg. after resuming from sleep).
  • #313 - Fixed issue in Windows 10 with Virtual Desktop - Right action (was going left!)
  • #314 - Fixed issue scrolling Windows 10 Universal apps (like Edge)
  • #315 - Additional code to check portable mode is suitable and that XMBC can write to the folder.
Any problems, PM me a copy of the log file (or post a snippet in a code block here).

There are no new translations in this one.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
Hoggy
New User

Post by Hoggy »

WayHow47 wrote:This is a special Perfit mouse by Contour Designs. I also have a new one in the box I can try. I have not switched to it because I like the old one a bit better.
I know what you mean. I have 2 Microsoft Natural Mouse 6000's. One button stopped working on one, and under warranty they replaced it with a new model (some 'Script' mouse that's ergonomically similar). BUT, I like the old versions better too. The other old one is starting to develop the dreaded double-click syndrome. At least I still have the one with the bad button, so I can utilize my horrible (de-)soldering skill to replace or fix the micro-switches on them. The bad news is that they use a non-standard micro-switch that I can't find anywhere - so I only have one to use for parts. :-/
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I was going to put something into XMBC to help with the dreaded double click problem... I e done it for tilt and scroll now so perhaps I could accelerate that - it would probably be global rather than per profile but if it's to fix a hardware problem, global would be best I think!?

Will see what I can do in the next beta!

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
twinsen

Post by twinsen »

Hi Phil!

I have that famous Logitech MX Anwhere (v1) - and it started doubleclicking because of faulty microswitch.
I'm now on business trip in South Africa and I'm unable to change this switch for 2 months more, when I'm back in Poland again. So, please try to detect accidental doubleclicks and add option to ignore them. In fact, they are extremely fast, so maybe some threshold should be inserted. I tried to play with simulated keys and {LMB} but from available modifiers, there is no one which could prevent such a behaviour. If you can help us in next beta, it will be appreciated of course :)

Regards,
Leszek
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK, here is XMBC v2.11 Beta 9.

Changes since v2.11 Beta 8:
  • #114 - Added de-bounce filter for mouse button clicks to try and help with old devices with faulty micro-switches
  • #316 - Fixed an issue saving/loading desktop icon positions if your computer or user name has spaces or other invalid characters in it.

There is one new translations in this version.

Code: Select all

# -- Added in 2.11 Beta 9 --
"&De-bounce (ignore) rapid mouse button clicks" => ""
Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

twinsen wrote:I have that famous Logitech MX Anwhere (v1) - and it started doubleclicking because of faulty microswitch.
I'm now on business trip in South Africa and I'm unable to change this switch for 2 months more, when I'm back in Poland again. So, please try to detect accidental doubleclicks and add option to ignore them. In fact, they are extremely fast, so maybe some threshold should be inserted. I tried to play with simulated keys and {LMB} but from available modifiers, there is no one which could prevent such a behaviour. If you can help us in next beta, it will be appreciated of course :)
OK so try 2.11 beta 9 and turn on "De-bounce (ignore) rapid mouse clicks" in advanced settings. Play around with the time (default 50ms) and let me know if it helps with your dodgy mouse buttons :)

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
twinsen

Post by twinsen »

phil wrote:
OK so try 2.11 beta 9 and turn on "De-bounce (ignore) rapid mouse clicks" in advanced settings. Play around with the time (default 50ms) and let me know if it helps with your dodgy mouse buttons :)

Thanks,
Phil
Thanks, I'm playing with it now, trying to set the best timing. One small suggestion: Plz add an option to change those doubleclicks to singleclicks. As it happens 99% time during single clicks. I'm observing it now, I think it's a much better. But unwanted doubleclicks are simply ignored as requested, then I have to click again.

EDIT: I have an idea, that it could be some measure tool near that option - I think many mice faulty microswitches has different doubleclick timing. So we can measure it's timing and set the value.

EDIT2: I don't know why, but during the buttons assigment, when cursor is in the area of settings, there are no color notifications which button was pressed. As soon as I move the cursor outside, color notifications are back.

Best regards,
Leszek
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

The thing about double clicks is that Windows translates two single click below a specified time into a double click. So by removing the second single click, the double click should not happen. If this tweak is causing this, then the time to ignore click is probably too high. What sort of numbers are you having to use?

Its difficult for me to test as every mouse is going to behave different in this respect, depending on the type of failure. I do have one mouse that behaves in this faulty way so I can do some testing. The problem is always going to be that if the mouse button bounces when you are making a double click, the de-bounce may prevent the double click - but you seem to be suggesting that you are still seeing double clicks which seems counter intuitive to me.

Perhaps you could enable debug logging and end me some evidence of this. The log will contain every message and if XMBC has dropped it or not - along with precise timings (to the millisecond at least).

At this stage I don't want to spend an age on improving the GUI if we find that actually the de-bounce method is not all that effective. And I need to think about releasing 2.11 with the pending Windows 10 release so everyone can benefit from the other changes and proper Window 10 support.

I have one other bug to investigate before considering a full release.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK, here is XMBC v2.11 Beta 10.

Changes since v2.11 Beta 9:
  • #317 - When scrolling with a custom scroll action, when window quadrants are enabled, sometimes scroll is leaked through

There are no new translations in this version.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
ascendance
New User

Post by ascendance »

Still having the issue with my Logitech Any Ware mouse. I have messed with the de-bounce setting with out any results i did not have near the problems with beta 7.

Edit: De-bounce kinda makes in worse in a way.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

ascendance wrote:Still having the issue with my Logitech Any Ware mouse. I have messed with the de-bounce setting with out any results i did not have near the problems with beta 7.

Edit: De-bounce kinda makes in worse in a way.
What is the problem? Not sure what I changed since beta 7 but I can go back and have a look if need be.
EDIT: There have been very minor changes since beta 7, mostly to do with crashes and windows 10 compatibility - that shouldn't make much difference - the only main thing was the de-bounce stuff but that is off by default.
--[ Phil ]--
ascendance
New User

Post by ascendance »

I'm starting to think its more of my mouse than it is your software. I just threw me off when i started having problems at beta 7. I'm going to get the new anywhere mouse mx 2 in few days. Took my version 1 back and got a replacement the problem is not nearly as often. This issue is ghost clicking and the left click just not working. Thanks for the support though.