Logitech M560 is weird.

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
coldlucas23

Logitech M560 is weird.

Post by coldlucas23 »

In this mouse, the side-buttons do windows-specific actions, the previous/next button is mapped to the tilt-wheel and there's no middle button in the scroll.

Without their software (SetPoint), XMBC can recognize the tilt-wheel as the side-buttons.
With their software, I can remap all the keys to work properly, even putting the middle button in the new button, but then XMBC doesn't recognize ANYTHING but left click, right click, scroll up and scroll down.

Please, can you check if there's anything you can do? Maybe recognizing the remap and working around this?

@edit
Seems like I got the middle button to work properly by configuring the SetPoint to map "Middle Button", now the problem is 4th button, 5th button and tilt left/right

@IMPORTANT edit
I just found out the problem (and also fixed tiltwheel), the mouse doesn't allow me to HOLD the side-button, and since I use it to change layers, the layer just change and revert really fast.
If I solve this, I will edit this topic to be a tutorial on how to use XMBC with Logitech M560 (seriously, this is a weird mouse...).

@onemoreedit
yeah, you can do pretty much anything BUT change layers using the side-buttons.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Logitech M560 is weird.

Post by phil »

The tilt wheel sends a repeated message, rather than a discrete down and up message. Therefore if the side buttons come through as tilt messages that might explain why the layer modifier does not work.

I don't know about your mouse, but with my Logitech G9, setpoint can completely change the button behaviour (the g9 also has 3 on-board profiles and each one can have different button assignments). But for me the tile wheel was always tilt and the 2 side buttons were (on the default profile at least) buttons 4 and 5. I had to play around a bit in setpoint (and it was several years ago I last tired) but got there in the end such that I got all the profiles mapping the buttons the same way as 4 and 5.

I'm not really sure what to suggest but would be interested if you do manage to find a solution.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
coldlucas23

Post by coldlucas23 »

I give up, I really need help here.
I can't figure out how to hold the side-buttons. Is there any way to see in details what is happening when I press the key? a log file, maybe?

@edit
Here's what I'm doing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7IPtMhnPyE
read the notes in the video.

I hate SetPoint...
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

If you enable debug logging in XMBC then it will log every mouse button event (pressed and released).
Thats in advanced settings - you have to OK and apply on the main screen before debug logging will be applied.

I'll try and look at the vid later.
--[ Phil ]--
coldlucas23

Post by coldlucas23 »

I think I'm almost there, I used SetPoint to map the 4th button to "Ctrl" and set the XMBC to enable modifier keys and make Ctrl activate layer 2 (I used ctrl only to test, I will change to a not-so-common hotkey)
In the interface, it's working, the screen change to layer 2 when I press the 4th button, but when I press left click to perform a personalized action, it does nothing

This seems to be a problem with XMBC itself.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

What action are you trying to do? And does said action work with CTRL pressed (for ex. CTRL+ left click is different from just left click in many apps). So by using CTRL, it may be impacting the action?

Also what version of XMBC are you using?
--[ Phil ]--
coldlucas23

Post by coldlucas23 »

Yeah, figured it out. Will try to fix it by using some other shortcut.

@edit
sh**, I can't use ctrl, shift, alt with music media keys... worth trying tho

@edit 2
hah, all I need to do is change the shortcuts on my player so it works, will test it now

@edit 3
unexpected problem, but we're almost there
the middle button and the 5th button are making the layer to revert automatically

@edit 4
also fixed the final problem of the video (the original input of tilt-wheel not being ignored) by disabling "Process non-client mouse messages" but the *RECOMMENDED* warning are scaring me...

@edit last
fixed the middle button by
- setting it to "Previous" in SetPoint (so XMBC recognizes it as 4th button)
- setting Layer1's 4th Button to "Middle click" (so in default layer it works as a middle click, as usual)
- setting Layer2's 4th Button to my shortcut.

The button still reverts layers automatically, but now it performs my shortcut before switching.
and I give up trying to fix the 5th button.
AnweshGangula
New User

Post by AnweshGangula »

I didn't really get the solution you posted. Could you prepare a video of how to set X-mouse to recognize side buttons as button 4& 5 and tilt buttons as it is
zzzk
New User

Post by zzzk »

Hello,

Could someone please post a step-by-step solution to this m560 mouse problem. i.e. left and right tilt being #4 and #5 in x-button and #4 and #5 don't even show up in x-button. Thank you. :| :| :| :|
dembala
New User

Post by dembala »

I would be also interested. Unfortunately, before knowing about this issue, i have purchased two of these mice. Now i need to put both of them into the trash can.
Setpoint is OK, until it's OK. But randomly it just forgets about its settings and i have to kill and restart the process of Setpoint or reboot to have my buttons 4-5 work correctly again. For some reason after a while (even when setpoint is installed) the side buttons begin to do minimize all windows and invoke the start menu instead of back/forward.
I had high hopes for X-mouse to resolve this and forget Setpoint, but seems that in X-mouse the side buttons are not Button 4-5 (those are mapped to the wheel) and actually those side buttons are non existent for X-mouse. So i'm back at the beginning, i need to throw away these mice.
I've been a long time Logitech customer, have had i think +30 mice from them over the many years, i haven't ever seen such a strange mouse than the M560. The designer must have been drunk. :)
None of the portfolio from them does this strange thing.
The mouse would be awesome, i like how comfortable it is, light, one battery, on/off switch, fast wheel, nice disign, but come on, what's this bullsh... with the side buttons?