Improvement request : mouse picture

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
sangorys
New User

Improvement request : mouse picture

Post by sangorys »

Hello,

I find this software very good. It is a king of universal Mouse driver (even if it is not really a driver).

I have a suggestion about the look and feel of this wonderfull software : this software knows what is the mouse ID. So it could be interesting to show the mouse picture with the identification of the buttons.

I imagine the design like that :
o The mouse detect the mouse ID
o The mouse look for a image database of mouse and look for : <MouseID>.jpg
o If not found, a default image is displayed
o Else the correct picture is found, it is displayed
o The picture database should be a kind of wiki. I mean any users should be able to insert his own mouse picture with a single clic from the software

I think that the improvement is very fast and easy. Then the community will be able to do the biggest job : fill the picture database

Once done, an additionnal improvement should be that instead of a simple picture, it could be a kind of html picture. I mean, we could be able to clic some picture zones to highlight the mouse buttons and directly configure it.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Improvement request : mouse picture

Post by phil »

Thanks for the suggestion, but I fear you arr wrong.

The software (which as you say is a driver) simply interacts and remaps windows mouse messages. These messages have no indication of the source of the message (no mouse ID) so without having extra stuff to examine the systems device resources XMBC has no idea of the mouse plugged in, nor how many mice are plugged in. So while if you had only one mouse, maybe you could figure it out from the system, what happens when you have 2 mice (or a touchpad and a mouse). It just wont work.

I know MS Intellipoint does/did this and while I understand it can be useful for the novice, once you realise that the orange highlights reflect the button your pressing, it does not matter where on the device that is or which device the message came from (if I could tell which device the massage came from, a lot of users would be happy, but Windows does not provide this information).

One of XMBC's main advantages (IMHO) is its small size, saving both disk space and memory.To do this would add bloat (potentially quite a lot) for no real gain :)

Also, if there were such an open system, it would add potential for disaster too if people could upload their own images - I can only imagine what might happen - its bad enough having to moderate the forum for all the spam bots!

Thanks for the ideas though :)
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)