Working with multiple trackballs

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
TonyReale
New User

Working with multiple trackballs

Post by TonyReale »

Hello Phil,

I just came across your software and I'm wondering if you are able to help me out. I do color grading for commercial video work and I'm trying to find out if it is possible to build a DIY control surface. Typical control surfaces can cost thousands of dollars: https://vimeo.com/39867812

Besides the numerous buttons, the main advantage to a control surface is the ability to use multiple trackballs to adjust color levels at the same time. I'm wondering if I can create one with three of these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 ... croll.html and have each trackball control a different section of the software.

Do you know if that is possible and if your software can do it?

Thanks!
phil
Site Admin

Re: Working with multiple trackballs

Post by phil »

I know XMBC cant do that. XMBC remaps mouse messages, and they do not discriminate between multiple devices (as discussed in the FAQ :)). Besides, XMBC can only cope with up to 5 buttons (pretty much for the same reason).

For this, you would have to implement a proper device driver and control software to manage each device separately. I'm sure that is possible but device drivers are beyond my comfort zone so I cant comment on how easy/difficult it would be.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)