Can this be done in Premiere?

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
dee1234
New User

Can this be done in Premiere?

Post by dee1234 »

Hi,

I use adobe premiere to edit. quite often i need to drag all clips on all tracks in the timeline after the cursor.

to do this i click "z" once (my self assigned shortcut activate "track select" tool). then I hold shift (to select all tracks) and then drag. When dragging is done I hit "a" to go back to normal arrow tool.

however if you do it very often (like i do) it is too many clicks, and if you forget to hold "shift" by accident you select only one track which can lead to disasterous sync problems.

So through Xmouse I wanted to automate this, but i have not been succesful. What I want is by left clicking holding shift, premiere goes into "select track (tool)" -> "select all tracks (shift)", and I can drag straight away. then when i release SHIFT it goes back into "selection/arrow" mode..

Is this be possible? I have been experimenting but no result at all.. :-(

Suggestions welcome.

d.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Can this be done in Premiere?

Post by phil »

To be honest, I dont know. I cant see why it shouldn't be possible, but Im not too clear on the actions.
When you say you click z, do you mean you press the z key on the keyboard?

But it sounds like you only hod shift while selecting, d you then release shift before dragging?
Simulated keystrokes is designed to send the entire key sequence in one go, which I dont think is what your after.

You might be able to make use of layers too, so on layer on, for button Y, and move from one layer to the next with the {layerX} tag. But I fear its not going to be easy and it may not even be possible.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
dee1234
New User

Post by dee1234 »

thanks for your reply!

what i do is indeed press "z" on the keyboard. this actvates the track select tool. (the cursor now changes to an arrow pointing right). If i would now click and drag, all clips on one track will be selected. however, if i click while holding shift, all clips on all tracks are selected (the desired action). I have to hold shift while dragging to activate all tracks.

it would be great if the normal arrow tool would be selected again when i release the mouse button after dragging.

really, this should 'baked into' premiere but sadly it is not.

Anyway i tried to activate "layer two" when holding shift, this works, but what next? what i want is: i hold shift (it goes to layer two) and then as soon as i click it 1) activates keyboard "Z" (just one click, not hold) and then activate shift (and hold this until i release). Then at release keyboard "A" again.

maybe i want the impossible!! ;-)

d.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK so this might be possible, the following is worth a try....

Set the button on layer 1 to this: Simulated Keys (1. Pressed)
z{shift}{lmb}{layer2} -> this will press z, shift and left click then move to layer 2.
On layer 2, set it to: Simulated keys: (2. Released) - this one might be a problem....
{lmb}{shift}a{layer1} -> this will release left click and shift and then press a.

It might work but it may not. the click and the shift may be released when switching layers. In that case we might be out of luck. To be honest, for this level of scripting logic, you would probably be better off with a fully programmable scripting language like AutoHotkey.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
dee1234
New User

Post by dee1234 »

thanks for your effort!

i can see the boxes in xmouse light up, but nothing happens in premiere. annoying.
guess i have to try autohotkey, maybe more luck there.

thanks again!

d