Win7 64Bit Button 4 and 5 - Possible fix idea

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Ammusionist
New User

Win7 64Bit Button 4 and 5 - Possible fix idea

Post by Ammusionist »

I have been struggling with the issue of Button 4 and 5 not being recognized by Windows 7 64 Bit.

I was about to throw in the towel and resign the issue when I was browsing in firefox and accidentally hit my 4 button. The page went back one in history. :shock:

The buttons were alive!! Not doing what they should perhaps, but alive! :D

A little following research found that my 4 and 5 buttons were sending the key commands "VK_BROWSER_BACK" and "VK_BROWSER_FORWARD" respectivley.

Here comes the idea...

Would it be possible, in an advanced screen to capture custom key events such as these and map them TO simulated mouse button clicks (Like simulated keys, but in reverse)

Then I can set Button 4 and 5 to respond to the Key Command interrupt response and all the other apps I have that look for a Button4 or Button5 will start working again!

It's just an idea and I'm not sure what would be involved, or even if it is possible, but it may be worth a look.

JM.

BTW - The list of VK Commands can be found here: Virtual Key Codes.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Win7 64Bit Button 4 and 5 - Possible fix idea

Post by phil »

Mouse buttons 4 and 5 are, by default in Windows, converted to VK_BROWSER_BACK and VK_BROWSER_FORWARD when there is nothing else configured. That is normal. If they are being sent, XMBC should see the buttons before they are translated.

If something else is translating the buttons to keys (ie. not windows) before windows sees them (I'm thinking mouse driver or manufacturers software?) then there is not much XMBC can do. I understnd your request but Im not sure if it is practical.

Have you tried using the default MS HID mouse driver> Thats should send the normal 4th and 5th button messages which are subsequently translated to browser back and forward if nothing else (like XMBC) remaps them on the way though.

Something you might like to look at is AutoHotkey - that is designed more to remap keys and is much more configurable/script-able than XMBC.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
Ammusionist
New User

Re: Win7 64Bit Button 4 and 5 - Possible fix idea

Post by Ammusionist »

Thanks for the quick reply Phil,

I guess I just have a weird mouse. I'm using the standard HID drivers from MS.

I'll have a look at AutoHotkey as you recommended, see if that gives me any clues.

Cheers,
JM.