Assigning top buttons on Kensington Expert

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
carruw
New User

Assigning top buttons on Kensington Expert

Post by carruw »

Hi,

I recently bought a Kensington Expert Trackball and want to assign the two top buttons. The Kensington TrackballWorks 1.0.4 is not very customizable and only offers a few simple commands for a button. I downloaded XMBC but only the two lower buttons and the scroll rings is detected. Please tell me is there is any way to make the top buttons recognized in XMBC.

Thanks,
phil
Site Admin

Re: Assigning top buttons on Kensington Expert

Post by phil »

If the button does not cause a field to highlight in XMBC, then there is no way to customise it.
The FAQ explains why.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
carruw
New User

Post by carruw »

The problem is that I cannot use the latest driver. I can install it and then all four buttons will work in XMBC but then I cannot use the "multi-button"-function, meaning pressing two buttons at the same time, for example middle click.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Sorry about that, but I don't see how its an XMBC problem. As the FAQ states, it is IMPOSSIBLE for XMBC to see more than the 5 standard buttons, mouse wheel and tilt wheel (vista and later) that windows recognises because XMBC hooks into the standard windows mouse messages.

If your mouse driver does not send these messages, there is nothing I can do about it. If a specific driver does not work, you would be best directing you question at the manufacturer.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
carruw
New User

Post by carruw »

Yes, the problem was never XMBC but I hoped that some one on the forum had encountered the problem before and solved it. However, I found a simple solution which was to set the two upper buttons to BUTTON 4 and BUTTON 5 in the Kensington software which made it possible for XMBC to recognize and assign the buttons.

Thank you for the fast replies and I am grateful for XMBC which made it possible to have six different macros on my four button trackball.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Great I'm glad you found a workable solution :)
Sorry if my post came over a little too defensive of XMBC... Its been one of those weeks!
--[ Phil ]--