Newbie question about install problem on Windows 7

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Kman
New User

Newbie question about install problem on Windows 7

Post by Kman »

I searched for this answer, but didn't find anything in the FAQ or forums.

I have a new Latitude E6510 Dell laptop running windows 7. I loved Xmouse on my XP laptop, and decided it's so useful I'd even join another forum to ask about how to install it on my new machine! :D

It says it installs, but it doesn't seem to even create a directory in "program files" where it says it's going to load. I'm showing all hidden files, so if it's there I'd think I'd know it, but after installation it doesn't seem like anything happened.

It seems to only get less than halfway on the bar graph during installation before it says it's done, but that may be because I've installed it about four times now, and had several reboots in the mean time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Kman
phil
Site Admin

Re: Newbie question about install problem on Windows 7

Post by phil »

Well Ive not heard of any problems installing on Windows 7 - is it 32bit or 64bit?
I have 4 windows 7 machines at home (all 64bit) and none of them have a problem - the normal location is "C:\Program Files\Highresolution Enterprises\X-Mouse Button Control" but that is optional I think, and on 64bit it should install the 64bit executable.

There are no logs generated during install - but the nullsoft installer does have the option of showing details - after the progress bar "completed" did it go to the final page OK where it asks if you want to run it?

I wonder it t went somewhere else....
Did it create the start menu shortcuts? -> All Programs -> Highresolution Enterprises -> X-Mouse...?
Did it create the windows service... Open services control panel and look down the list for "XMouseButton Launcher"?
Is it running (in the system tray or hidden as windows 7 likes to move icons out of the system tray to keep it clean)?

I dont really know what else to say at this stage as Ive never seen or heard of any problems during installation so far.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
Kman
New User

Post by Kman »

Thanks so much for getting back to me!

>is it 32bit or 64bit?

It's 64 bits.

> the normal location is "C:\Program Files\Highresolution Enterprises\X-Mouse Button Control" but that is optional I think, and on 64bit it should install the 64bit executable.

Yes, and this directory never gets created. I would expect some sort of error if I didn't have administrative privileges or something, but I am the administrator (as far as I know, it's company machine, so I'm not sure if there's some sort of weird control on it, but I install stuff on it all the time).

>There are no logs generated during install - but the nullsoft installer does have the option of showing details - after the progress bar "completed" did it go to the final page OK where it asks if you want to run it?

Yes, it gets there, and I say to run it, but nothing gets run.

>Did it create the start menu shortcuts? -> All Programs -> Highresolution Enterprises -> X-Mouse...?

No.

I just checked and it's not there either.

>Is it running (in the system tray or hidden as windows 7 likes to move icons out of the system tray to keep it clean)?

Nope, not under the task manager applications.

Thanks for the help! it's weird, it's like it just doesn't get installed for some reason.

Kman
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Well that is very odd.

You do need admin access but I would expect the installer to request that if it does not have it already.

XMBC would never be in task manager applications.... Processes yes but not applications (unless the config window is actually open).

You didnt mention if the service exists but I guess not if the folder etc is not there.

Im really at a loss as to what could be wrong or what to suggest :(

I will let you know if I can think of anything. Maybe check the windows event logs (I dobt know if the nulsoft installer puts any error info out there).

Thanks, and sorry I cant help more right now,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
Kman
New User

Post by Kman »

Sorry, I meant processes. It was always listed there before on my x32 machine.

I also checked the services and it's not there either.

Maybe I should try installing a previous version?

Thanks!
Kman
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I guess it wont do any harm to try but the installer has not changed significantly in several versions (OK the v2.0 has a few more components like the user manual but that shouldn't make any difference. And as I said earlier, no one else has reported a problem installing on windows 7 (any edition) so whatever it is is probably something "local" to your machine (I know that's not a lot of help for you but its my only thoughts right now).

Do you have a older version? if not I can provide any version, although its pretty late here so I wont be around much longer tonight/this morning!)

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
Kman
New User

Post by Kman »

Phil, thanks so much for your help even though you weren't able to find my problem.

I finally found the problem. When I went to try to install it in a non-default directory, the little lock symbol showed up on the directory I created in the installation box! For some reason Windows 7 has a nasty habit of locking folders from being written to or being read from without telling me.

I think it might have something to do with me specifying that some of the networks I'm on are public (like in my hotel), so it locks down "documents and settings" and "program files" directories, among others. I finally messed with my privileges and gave myself access and got it installed.

Thanks again!
Kman
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I'm glad you found the problem, although I'm not 100% sure I fully understand how that happened. If the installer was running as admin (elevated) which it must, I don't see how it could not see/access the folder you chose.

Thanks for the feedback though.
--[ Phil ]--
Kman
New User

Post by Kman »

I don't fully understand it either, but somehow windows 7 seems to want to restrict access to certain folders at times. It won't even give me access to manually do things like write files into certain folders sometimes. I assume it would let me change my privileges, but in the default state, it won't let me copy a file in explorer to anything in the documents and settings folder. Maybe if I wasn't on a "public network" (I'm traveling now) it would be normal.

Kman