Problem with Kensington Expert Mouse

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
drtim
New User

Problem with Kensington Expert Mouse

Post by drtim »

Hi,

Configuration of present system after much tinkering:

Mouse – Kensington Expert Mouse Model #64325
XMBC Version – 1.53
Operating System – W7 SP1 x64
Microsoft IntelliPoint 8.0 (Version 8.01.249.0)
HID Compliant Mouse – Microsoft Driver Version - 6.1.7600.16385

I had to disconnect the Expert Mouse and in safe mode I uninstalled Trackball Works v1.04, as it was causing problems and could not be uninstalled properly.

So right now I can use the 4 buttons of the mouse, left, right, forward, and backward; however, the scroll ring does not work at all. It was working perfect for over a year, and then shortly after I updated to W7 SP1, the scroll ring has stopped working. When I look into the Mouse Properties of IntelliPoint, it states that "No Microsoft USB mouse detected", and thus I cannot choose the Microsoft Trackball Optical from the list of Connected Devices any longer.

From within X-Mouse I have tried using for Wheel Up and Wheel Down, both Mouse Wheel Scroll Up and Down, as well as Scroll Window Down and Scroll Window Up.

Do you have any possible ideas? I love my Expert Mouse and do not want to go without my scroll ring.

Thank you very much
MainTrane
Dedicated

Re: Problem with Kensington Expert Mouse

Post by MainTrane »

Intellipoint software only works with MS devices, seeing as your trackball is from Kensington it's not compatible. If you don't have any MS input devices then you don't need to have their IntelliPoint software installed.

When using the scroll ring do you see any orange highlights on the button assignments in XMBC? XMBC only works with buttons or scroll devices that send standard Windows messages. If your trackball's scroll ring relies on special messages provided by the drivers from Kensington, then their software is your only option.

I take it that Trackball Works v1.04 is the Kensington software you used on your older OS; I recommend waiting for/requesting an updated driver from Kensington.

Thanks,
MainTrane

• Beta Tester ‖ Global Moderator
    Logitech [ G700 | G500 | MX1100 ᵛ¹ ᵛ² ]
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
    Intel Core i7-960 @ 3.85GHz
    18GB (3x4GB+3x2GB) RAM
    DirectX 11
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
[/size]
drtim
New User

Post by drtim »

Thank your for the quick reply

I uninstalled Intellipoint and nothing changed; the scroll ring still does not work.

No, there is not any orange highlights in XMBC when using the scroll ring.

I had Trackball Works v1.04 on XP, W7, and W7 SP1. It is since W7 SP1 that I have run into problems.

Kensington Expert Mouse has had numerous problems with 64 bit machines. I had applied this for the fix, http://jeffhandley.com/archive/2007/12/ ... vista.aspx, over 18 months ago, and everything had worked perfectly up until a few days ago. About a week ago I updated from W7 to W7 SP1 via Windows Update.

Via the link above I was able to get everything to work without Trackball Works installed on the computer. But now that I have upgraded to W7 SP1 and with Intellipoint 8.0 installed or not installed, I can no longer get the scroll ring to work. The key was in older versions of Intellipoint I could choose the Microsoft Trackball Optical from the list of Connected Devices when I had my Expert Mouse connected but not a Microsoft mouse. XMBC was treating my Kensington Expert Mouse as if it were a Microsoft Trackball Optical and everything worked perfectly.

Did I make sense?

Thank you
MainTrane
Dedicated

Post by MainTrane »

OK, I wouldn't expect uninstalling IntelliPoint to make a difference - I was just saying that it's not needed if you don't have any pointer devices that it will recognize (read MS pointer devices).

I didn't know that you were able to control it through Microsoft's IntelliPoint software in the past :wink: , since that's the case maybe reverting to an older version of the IntelliPoint software will help you regain control of the scroll ring.

MS recently rolled out a major update to IntelliPoint which was likely included in your SP1 updgrade. I think the newer IntelliPoint is v8.0, uninstall it and try to download the older version. I hope that solves your problem.

XMBC will only work with devices that send standard mouse messages; it sounds like the older Intellipoint drivers were doing that for you prior to SP1.

Thanks,
MainTrane

P.S.
If that doesn't work, then as I said before; getting Kensington to properly support their devices in accordance with the latest Windows updates is your other option.

• Beta Tester ‖ Global Moderator
    Logitech [ G700 | G500 | MX1100 ᵛ¹ ᵛ² ]
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
    Intel Core i7-960 @ 3.85GHz
    18GB (3x4GB+3x2GB) RAM
    DirectX 11
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
[/size]
MainTrane
Dedicated

Post by MainTrane »

Here's a link to a page that contains older versions of the IntelliPoint software :arrow: FileHippo *IntelliPoint*

After you've uninstalled the one on your computer try installing v7.1 or earlier.

MS being MS likely decided to remove any non-MS devices from being compatible with their software in the latest version of iPoint. :roll:
drtim
New User

Post by drtim »

I am thinking WIN all the way with what you are saying

FileHippo is only giving 32 bit versions of IntelliPoint, I grabbed iPoint 7.1 64 bit from http://www.oldapps.com/intellipoint.php ... lipoint=10

Installed it and sure enough I was able to choose the Trackball Optical and install it back to the way it was before; however, I still do not have access to the scroll function. I don't understand.

I checked within XMBC and still no orange highlight for the scroll function

Thanks for your help
drtim
New User

Post by drtim »

Is there any chance that the scroll ring simply does not work anymore? Do you know how I can check?

Thanks
MainTrane
Dedicated

Post by MainTrane »

If XMBC saw the messages with IntelliPoint driving the device before, then that should still be the case. Unless something else has changed on your system.

I really don't know what else could have changed. Make certain the device has the same mappings in IntelliPoint as it did before your SP1 upgrade (?I'm assuming iPoint can rebind the scroll ring?).
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Hi drtim,

Ive been following this and discussing it with MainTrane. I cant really think of anything else that he has not already suggested :(

XMBC relies on the windows messages, in the case of the wheel, WM_MOUSEWHEEL. If it does not see those messages, it can not remap them. Therefore something upstream of XMBC, either the hardware or driver is not translating your scroll ring into normal scroll wheel messages.

Just to confirm, you updated to Windows 7 SP1 from what, RTM win 7? I'm running 7 SP1 (x64 ultimate) here with no problems but my mouse is a Logitech (with no drivers or other mouse software installed).

I'm not familiar with your hardware so I cant think of any resolutions to your issue that MainTrane hasn't already suggested.

Sorry about that,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
drtim
New User

Post by drtim »

Thanks Phil and MainTrane

I have tried another 15 things; in fact I have spent all day on it. I cannot get it to work. I have read everything there is to read and simply cannot get the scroll function to work.

I may have to change to a new trackball. Any suggestions? I have used the Kensington Expert Mouse for years and love it for its ergonomics; but not its software and drive support. I have owned a few of these mice and have had regular problems in this area. Up until now, I have been able to solve the problem.

Thanks for your time and have a great week
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Before you try other hardware, is there any way you can try the device on another machine or a virtual machine?. I find it difficult to believe its broken as a result of a software update, even if you have tried what seems to be everything, there is often a simple answer that is too easily missed :(

As to other devices, I cant recommend any trackballs as Ive never really used them.

Good luck,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
drtim
New User

Post by drtim »

My desktop is less than a year old and it came with W7 Home Premium. I don't know if that means it was RTM as I am not familiar with that term. Sorry.

I just tried the mouse on my XP laptop. Same thing - 4 buttons worked, but not the scroll ring.

Thank you
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK, RTM is the retail version (with no SP's) so yes thats the same thing (or at least what I meant :))
If its not working with XP either then maybe it is a genuine hardware problem, or maybe the XP drivers are not right either.

Sorry I cant be of much more help on this, have you tried contacting Kensington to see if they have any ideas?

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
drtim
New User

Post by drtim »

Today I contacted Kensington and they are sending me a new mouse. They told me that they will soon update their driver and software for the mouse, so that it hopefully resolves all the issues with W7 64 bit.

Further, they had me confirm it was a scroll ring problem by blowing compressed air through the circumference of the scroll ring. It did not help my mouse. The premise of this is that there may be some hair, dust, dirt, etc clogging the scroll ring.

My lesson here is to check if it is a hardware problem before attempting to spend over 10 hours to repair something that cannot be fixed.

The easiest method is to use the mouse on 2 different computers and see if it works correctly on one of them. The other method is to use compressed air over the scroll ring.

Thanks for all your help. It is greatly appreciated. Have a great week.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Glad to have at least pointed you in the right direction - I hope when the new mouse arrives, it all works as expected :)

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--