Any way to save profiles?

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Sunshy
New User

Any way to save profiles?

Post by Sunshy »

I use my trackball both on the Right and Left side of my desk. But every time I switch, I need to re-program the Left/Right click buttons via the XMouse Button Control panel.

Is there any way to open/load a profile. Then when I switch hands, load a different profile with different programmed buttons? Thanks,
phil
Site Admin

Re: Any way to save profiles?

Post by phil »

There is no way to do this built into the software - you could just write a script to replace the configuration file and restart XMBC I guess.... Maybe in the future I could add multi-profile support but its not top priority right now for me and certainly wont be in 1.51 which is on its way out... Maybe an excuse for v2.0 :) hehehe.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
Sunshy
New User

Post by Sunshy »

Thanks for the response and the great software Phil. I'll see what else I can come up with.
Sunshy
New User

Post by Sunshy »

Hi just wanted to update my dilema:

Until there's a "swap left/right buttons" checkbox on X-button mouse control (hint hint!), I've downloaded a free app that swaps your mouse buttons here:

http://www.swapmousebuttons.com/

I have to disable X-button Mouse control first and then it works. Hopefully this will help other people with carpal tunnel or other RSI sufferers. Good luck!
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Surly this feature is already in Windows.
Go to the mouse control panel and the first option is to swap the buttons - thats why its not in XMBC.
XMBC does of course have the option to swap 4th and 5th buttons.

In what way does this relate to the muti-profiles?
--[ Phil ]--
Sunshy
New User

Post by Sunshy »

You would be correct about that feature being in Windows. However, I'm using a Kensington Expert Mouse and because they have no Windows 7 64 bit drivers, I'm forced to use a Microsoft intelipoint driver and X-Mouse button control to program the buttons as described in this link:

http://jeffhandley.com/archive/2007/12/ ... vista.aspx

So, when I click on "Mouse" in control panel, it is a different GUI because I installed the Intelipoint driver. And the settings do not allow me to "swap buttons." It's just not present.

This relates to different profiles because I'd like to save one profile while using a right handed mouse and another when using a left handed mouse. Of course, being able to swap the left/right buttons would be good enough.
alex
New User

Post by alex »

Isn't it possible to use the layers feature from the current xmbc version for your original problem?

You could perhaps define layer 1 with your default configuration and define layer 1 with the button actions mirrored, i.e. assign the "Right click" action for the left mouse button and assign the "Left click" action for the right mouse button. Switch the layers by using the xmbc task bar icon or assign an additional mouse button action.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Thats what I thought at first... although it still might be nice to have multiple profiles. Making the left button perform a right click and the right button perform a left click should do the job - but it might be better to let windows handle that (and there is an option in windows, even if it is obscured by the mouse control panel).

When I'm next in the code I will have a look and see if I can manipulate said button swap windows setting.

Thanks,
--[ Phil ]--
Conde
New User

Post by Conde »

I have got a related use of XMBC.

For me it makes sense swapping the left and right buttons via XMBC and not using the Control Panel.
At least in Windows XP, checking the "swap buttons" option in the Control Panel it's useless for Remote Desktops. Suppose you access with a shared user to a remote server and you don't want to swap buttons in the Remote Desktop Control Panel because your co-workers wouldn't like it...

XMBC is a perfect solution to this problem, you only tweak your Desktop and nobody complains.
I don't need a specific "swap left/right buttons" option in the XMBC GUI, just wanted to explain this case and thank Phil for his useful software.
MainTrane
Dedicated

Post by MainTrane »

The following command can be used to swap the left button to function as the right button and vice-versa:

Code: Select all

RUNDLL32.EXE USER32.DLL,SwapMouseButton
Unfortunately it's not a toggle; only a one-way switch.  I hope someone finds a command that does the reverse.

This one brings up the Mouse Properties dialog:

Code: Select all

control mouse
The L/R button swap is the first option.  A macro that performs this command followed by {SPACE}{RETURN} would toggle the button swap.

It's the standard Windows swap, so will have a system-wide effect, including remote desktops.
A future release of XMBC will be able to run these commands with a middle click on a window's control (ex. on the desktop, the start button or the Win7 showdesktop strip).

• Beta Tester ‖ Global Moderator
    Logitech [ G700 | G500 | MX1100 ᵛ¹ ᵛ² ]
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
    Intel Core i7-960 @ 3.85GHz
    18GB (3x4GB+3x2GB) RAM
    DirectX 11
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
[/size]
Conde
New User

Post by Conde »

MainTrane: I found that someone asked how to undo the swapping in MSDN, but there isn't any reply http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx
The macro you suggest would be the workaround.

But my use of XBMC is swapping the left and right buttons without tweaking the mouse settings in the remote desktops. I got a very simple configuration: right button->left click and left button->right click and I don't change local nor remote mouse settings in the control panel.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Yes, I saw that MSDN link too. that funciton would be easy to use withing XMBC but....

Sunshy, do you still want an option in the generic settings to toggle this?
I don't think it will be difficult but I'm not sure its really appropriate in XMBC.

Thanks,
--[ Phil ]--