Displaying X-Mouse Layer Number on the Screen

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
aliselvi
New User

Displaying X-Mouse Layer Number on the Screen

Post by aliselvi »

Hi and thank you for this wonderful software. It is simple and simply awesome.

I was wondering if there is a way (or perhaps add in an option for any future updates) to temporarily display (for a mere second or two) X-Mouse Layer Number on the screen. Particularly while gaming using GPU. I am asking this because it is usually unclear which Layer of X-Mouse I am currently on and it gets confusing until I end up ALT+TABing to a normal, non-GPU screen to see if there is a number at the right bottom corner of the mouse pointer.

Optionally, a similar number could appear in the GPU pointer (such as the mouse pointers in the games).

Thank you.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Displaying X-Mouse Layer Number on the Screen

Post by phil »

XMBC can control the windows mouse pointer already to do this, but I very much doubt it will ever be able to control games in that way. It knows nothing about the games so unless there is a standard API to do this, I doubt its possible (every game will be different for example).

I'm not sure about a message on the screen, that might be possible. XMBC can create an overlay window (for volume and brightness control for version of Windows that don't natively have them) so that's doable. The only question in my mind is that, if a game is full screen, can XMBC actually display anything over the top of the game. I will have to try it to find out. I guess it must be possible as other programs can add overlays (like fps displays / screen recorders) so fingers crossed, it wont be too much work :)

I'll add it to the list. I'm getting close to releasing v2.21 so it may have to wait until after that.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
aliselvi
New User

Re: Displaying X-Mouse Layer Number on the Screen

Post by aliselvi »

Thank you very much, both for your awesome software and your optimistic return.

I am guessing, and where possible, most players play their games in Fullscreen but Borderless, Windowed mode, since ALT+TABing between No-Windows Fullscreen mode does this tiny, irksome flicker in as it switches modes, and CAN cause, albeit a rather small chance, system crashes. Hence, a location-wise (X,Y), font-type and size adjustable number appearing when Layer is switched would be rather impressive and very informative-on-the-fly.