XBMC blocks mouse clicks after using CTRL + mouse

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
prmortimer
New User

XBMC blocks mouse clicks after using CTRL + mouse

Post by prmortimer »

Please fill in this template when posting!
XMBC Version: v2.20.5
Installed or Portable version: Installed
Windows Version: Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Mouse Information (brand/model): 5 Button L-Trac Glow Backlit Laser Trackball ("CST trackball")
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): 7-9750H CPU, 32.0 GB RAM
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): No
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): No
How long have you used XMBC?: 1 year
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: Qwerty (Qwerty US international layout)

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:

Hi,
I'm a happy user of XMBC, which I mostly use with my CST trackball because it allows me to chord the left->right / right->left buttons to create some sort of Forward/Backward function in Chrome etc.

Nonetheless, XBMC sometimes has a bug where it blocks both left/right mouse clicks following a press on CTRL + moving an item with my mouse (ie trackball) or CTRL + scrolling. This happens pretty frequently (once or twice a day) but fortunately not all the time.
Moving the cursor still works when this bug is triggered, but mouse buttons become useless.
To fix this, I have to kill XMBC (using my keyboard as you guess it, mouse clicks don't work anymore. To do this quickly I created a macro in the Windows start menu). When killed, the clicks work again, so I'm pretty sure this bug comes from XMBC.
Of note, mouse clicks work during the bug on the when I am on the CTRL ALT DEL ("Lock, Switch, Sign out, Task manager....") screen (which looks like a Safe Mode?), but stop working again when I launch the Task Manager for exemple.
I am not using other mouse softwares.

Thanks for your help.
phil
Site Admin

Re: XBMC blocks mouse clicks after using CTRL + mouse

Post by phil »

The CTRL+ALT+DEL screen is protected and the mouse message hook is effectively not there, so cant be intercepted by XMBC - that's why it works. Usually going to that screen and cancelling back to windows resets things too - but maybe not in this case?

It sounds like a button is getting stuck - it happens occasionally (my fix as above is usually ctrl+alt+del then cancel) but being very infrequent, it makes it really tricky to diagnose/debug (and of course when it happens its always at the most inconvenient time to look into).

What might be of use, setup a global hotkey to toggle debug mode on/off... Next time it gets stuck, use that hotkey to turn on debug mode, then turn it off again. This will flush the last 200 lines of debug information (before and when it gets stuck hopefully). Then send me the log (with the rough time it went wrong is possible) and maybe there will be something useful in the log file that will help narrow it down.

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
prmortimer
New User

Re: XBMC blocks mouse clicks after using CTRL + mouse

Post by prmortimer »

Hi, thank you for your prompt answer.

I've created a hotkey to toggle debug mode, and will check next time this happens.

best,