can i use portable version on w11/10 and 7?

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
gaia
Dedicated

can i use portable version on w11/10 and 7?

Post by gaia »

Hi

outside the version /brand and type of mouse and buttons , it's a question about the portable version
1)
could i use under windows 11 ,10 and 7 on usb stick without any issues ?
i'm asking just becase w11 sometime it's a "bit" Strange

2)
and if I may , since i don't want to post twice

can I control via keystroke a software application volume (like foobar or musicbee or aimp 5) rolling the mouse wheel on the system tray icon application?

thanks
Site Admin

Re: can i use portable version on w11/10 and 7?

Post by phil »

1. Yes, with the portable version, you can run from a USB key or any folder on your machine, shared with other computers. The settings are held in an xml/xmbcs (still XML) file and nothing needs to be stored on the machine itself - in portable mode the settings are saved along side the executable, where ever it is.

There are a few gotcha's - like some key sequences wont work in portable mode unless you run as administrator (this is not required in installed mode), because they are "protected" by Windows and simply not allowed without admin access OR in installed mode, the program (XMBC) under the program files folder and with all the digital signatures required.

2. Yes you can control volume, XMBC controls the master volume, either by sending VOL+/- keystrokes or by controlling the audio device directly. It only controls the master volume though, not per application etc. You can also send any keystrokes with simulated keystrokes (see above for exceptions in portable mode) so if your media player of choice has hotkey/global key support, you can send those from simulated keys (if they are different from the standard volume key controls).

Feel free to ask if you have any further questions and I will try and answer them promptly!

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
gaia
Dedicated

Post by gaia »

phil wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:01 am

2. Yes you can control volume, XMBC controls the master volume, either by sending VOL+/- keystrokes or by controlling the audio device directly. It only controls the master volume though, not per application etc. You can also send any keystrokes with simulated keystrokes (see above for exceptions in portable mode) so if your media player of choice has hotkey/global key support, you can send those from simulated keys (if they are different from the standard volume key controls).

Feel free to ask if you have any further questions and I will try and answer them promptly!

Regards,
Phil
Hi Phil
2)
is possibile to create a profile and point the target on a program icon in the system tray ?
I tried but seems x-mouse can't detect this icon or these icons in the system tray
all the software , like music player or video , they have the hotkeys , so it's pretty easy to do it
is there a keystoke for NumMisnus and NumPlus ?

By the way , i'm sorry but i have tried on several operation system but the default profile , does not change back the windows mouse settings when closed , would be nice some other users feedbacks
like these options , i know they are old but seems to be still buggy on some system , i have tested on several operation system ,with log , same problems, different mices
just because i care about x-mouse

thanks
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK a quick answer because its a bit late here, but better something than nothing...
It is not possible to create profiles for individual icons in the system tray. You can setup a profile for the *whole* system tray but that's as far as it gets, because the individual icons are not, in themselves, "windows" - they don't have a window handle so there is no way for XMBC to know what the cursor is over. You could perhaps make multiple advanced profiles for the system tray window with specific X/Y/Width/Height if the icons never move - but that's about the best you can get.

Regarding the keystroke for numpad minus - yes of course (its subtract on the menu you showed - subtract = minus!) but the tag is simple {NUM-} I think.

Regarding the default profile, do you mean when you exit XMBC it does not reset the mouse settings?
Or do you mean when switching between another profile and default?

It certainly should reset them when exiting XMBC and I spent some time making sure that worked - but it may have been after 2.20.5 was released (I cant remember for sure so will have to check again). I would say try the latest beta, but that's not easy if your using the portable version?

The scroll window method is not a windows setting so maybe you are talking about switching to/from the default profile?
Scroll lines/pages will often depend on the application in question. If it does not behave as it should (and not respond the the global message Windows itself broadcasts to say settings have changed) then it may not pick up the change until the application is reloaded. Nothing I can do about that, its down to the third part application I'm afraid.
--[ Phil ]--
gaia
Dedicated

Post by gaia »

phil wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:43 am Regarding the keystroke for numpad minus - yes of course (its subtract on the menu you showed - subtract = minus!) but the tag is simple {NUM-} I think.

Regarding the default profile, do you mean when you exit XMBC it does not reset the mouse settings?
Or do you mean when switching between another profile and default?
Hi Phil
it doesn't restore mices windows settings profiles when i close x-mouse and after a reboot , I have reported many times ,but it's an old problem ,seems not reported by users
I can create some profiles and share them
The scroll window method is not a windows setting so maybe you are talking about switching to/from the default profile?
Scroll lines/pages will often depend on the application in question. If it does not behave as it should (and not respond the the global message Windows itself broadcasts to say settings have changed) then it may not pick up the change until the application is reloaded. Nothing I can do about that, its down to the third part application I'm afraid.
I can set for example wheel 13 ,wheel scoll at time 3 , after using x-mouse and after the reboot these values are changed , sadly it's great feature
Regarding the keystroke for numpad minus - yes of course (its subtract on the menu you showed - subtract = minus!) but the tag is simple {NUM-} I think.
many softwares do use them ,numbers of lines and charaters
thanks Phil , i have sent a pm for an updated / fixed translation
Site Admin

Post by phil »

gaia wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:33 pm I can set for example wheel 13 ,wheel scoll at time 3 , after using x-mouse and after the reboot these values are changed , sadly it's great feature
Just to be clear, you are setting this when XMBC is closed, ie. before you run XMBC?
XMBC makes a note of the values when it starts up, and puts them back when it exits. If you change them in between (in Windows or in XMBC) then it will revert to what was there when XMBC was started - that is how it *should* work.

Its odd, I have fixed this many times too - maybe its an issue with the portable version not having permissions - will have to look again.
--[ Phil ]--
gaia
Dedicated

Post by gaia »

phil wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:42 pm
gaia wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:33 pm I can set for example wheel 13 ,wheel scoll at time 3 , after using x-mouse and after the reboot these values are changed , sadly it's great feature
Just to be clear, you are setting this when XMBC is closed, ie. before you run XMBC?
XMBC makes a note of the values when it starts up, and puts them back when it exits. If you change them in between (in Windows or in XMBC) then it will revert to what was there when XMBC was started - that is how it *should* work.

Its odd, I have fixed this many times too - maybe its an issue with the portable version not having permissions - will have to look again.
hi
well i have created a profile for firefox with a slow scrolling ,lines and so on
when i close x-mouse and reboot ,the windows mouse settings are changed to the firefox profile ,and i have to change manually the value in the screenshot with the red arrows
about the portable version i have loaded as administrator too
thanks
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK I will take a look when I can find some time (wont be this week Im afraid).. I'll add this thread to the bug list so I don't forget :)
--[ Phil ]--
gaia
Dedicated

Post by gaia »

phil wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:40 pm OK I will take a look when I can find some time (wont be this week Im afraid).. I'll add this thread to the bug list so I don't forget :)
Hi Phil

do you know what could be even cooler have windows alignment like this

here

thanks Phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Sorry what? Window alignment (snap) is a Windows function not an XMBC function. XMBC can only send the windows shortcut keys to snap the window. Those "snap" options simple send the keystrokes win+up/down/left/right, nothing more.
Maybe Windows 11 has changed things with more shortcuts but I'm not aware of that?And if it has, you can invoke them from simkeys anyway!

Where is that first screen shot from - Ive never seen such a menu in Windows?
--[ Phil ]--
gaia
Dedicated

Post by gaia »

phil wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:13 am Sorry what? Window alignment (snap) is a Windows function not an XMBC function. XMBC can only send the windows shortcut keys to snap the window. Those "snap" options simple send the keystrokes win+up/down/left/right, nothing more.
Maybe Windows 11 has changed things with more shortcuts but I'm not aware of that?And if it has, you can invoke them from simkeys anyway!

Where is that first screen shot from - Ive never seen such a menu in Windows?
Hi
I got it it was just an idea for x-mouse
in the screenshot is SmartSystemMenu , a free portable version

Edit -> I guess i found out why x-mouse does restore the default settings , I tried to use on different operation systems and it works if i close x-mouse normally ,but if i reboot or turn off windows , it doesn't restore the default settings
I think windows before rebooting or turning off ,it does kill x-mouse and in this case x-mouse could not restore default settings even if x-mouse is setup to load at login or start
in short it should be closed manually
thanks Phil , sorry for my poor english
Site Admin

Post by phil »

That maybe the case, but if you shutdown windows properly (start -> shutdown) then it should tell XMBC to exit....
If its not doing that, then sure that makes sense, but I would expect it to exit normally when shutting down...

I just checked the log from my desktop - and when I shut down the computer yesterday, it does appear that maybe it did not exit XMBC normally, so you may be onto something... I will have to check and see what's going on there - maybe Windows does things differently these days what with it "automatically restarting open applications".

Could you send over a copy of your log file so I can see if its similar to mine?
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Yes, XMBC is not shutting down properly (and resetting the windows defaults) when windows is shutdown.
I have fixed this (I think) in 2.21 Beta 34 (but I haven't built a portable beta version as I tend not to do that for beta's) so either wait for the release, or ask nicely and I will try and build a portable zip (its basically the same files just in a different package)
--[ Phil ]--
gaia
Dedicated

Post by gaia »

phil wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:50 pm Yes, XMBC is not shutting down properly (and resetting the windows defaults) when windows is shutdown.
I have fixed this (I think) in 2.21 Beta 34 (but I haven't built a portable beta version as I tend not to do that for beta's) so either wait for the release, or ask nicely and I will try and build a portable zip (its basically the same files just in a different package)
Hi Phil
Sadly i have not found time to test on different windows
the portable version is useful to test on different laptops/desktops and mouses ..
Yes, XMBC is not shutting down properly (and resetting the windows defaults) when windows is shutdown.
but even when windows is rebooting !
thanks
Site Admin

Post by phil »

but even when windows is rebooting !
Yes, well as far as *most* applications are concerned, there is no difference between reboot and shutdown. It will be fixed for both after yesterdays changes. Basically, XMBC now listens to the Event that windows broadcasts when shutting down (or rebooting - its the same event with no way to tell the difference between the two)... And also when simply logging off - which was also a problem previously!
--[ Phil ]--