Errors mentioned in log file

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Doubleclick
New User

Errors mentioned in log file

Post by Doubleclick »

XMBC Version: v2.20.5
Installed or Portable version: Installed.
Windows Version: WinXP SP3 x86
Mouse Information (brand/model): Logitech 3 button
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): Core, 4GB
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): No.
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): No.
How long have you used XMBC?: A few weeks.
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: EN/US, SL layout.

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).: I tried your fine mouse button control on my XP machine and it works nicely (I use it only for middle button double click, layer 1 and layer 2 = copy of layer 1), there is a complaint however in its log file, it goes:
06-12-2023 18:19:07.080> CVolumeManager(SendInput Thread 2252)::GetVolume: EndpointVolume is invalid!
06-12-2023 18:19:22.189> CVolumeManager(SendInput Thread 2252)::Initialise: Call to CoCreateInstance failed (Error code -2147221164: Class not registered )
This is logged every time XMBC is used I would guess, looking at the log times. Would you be so kind and fix it, please?
phil
Site Admin

Re: Errors mentioned in log file

Post by phil »

Those errors indicate missing or incorrectly setup Windows components that XMBC relies upon. Maybe you don't have any audio devices?
It means that XMBC may struggle to control your computers volume - not a big deal unless you wanted to do that.

Not really anything I can fix as it will be something specific to your Windows installation. However, they are also not all that important and can probably be ignored (I suppose I could take the logging out but I don't intend to do that).

Thinking about it, it may well be because Windows XP does not have the volume controls that newer versions of Windows have.
As far as I am concerned, Windows XP is not supported by Microsoft, nor me. If XMBC works then fine, but I'm certainly not going to put any effort into supporting an operating system that has not been supported by Microsoft for 9 years - In many ways, I'm surprised that it even works stil (XMBC on Windows XP). Next time I upgrade my development environment (which is long overdue), it wont be supported by the compiler (likely nor will Windows 7).
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
Doubleclick
New User

Post by Doubleclick »

Well that's a bummer - please consider making a log optional. That's all. Works fine otherwise.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

You can turn off logging completely - there is a command line argument to do that I believe....
If you add /NoLog to the launch command it will completely disable logging.

I will look into seeing if I can easily check if the volume controls are not available (and maybe not treat it as an error, thus no log) but I cant promise anything.
--[ Phil ]--
Doubleclick
New User

Post by Doubleclick »

Wonderful!
Version 2.21 Beta 31 works well, no more excessive logging.
Idle RAM consumption is rather high in WinXP though, 10-12MB, not 3 like in Win7/10. :(
Thank you for the progress so far. :cheers:
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Interesting, I have no idea why idle would be higher in XP... I wonder if its because it has created the volume OSD overlay window (which is not needed on Windows 7 and later) - you could try turning that off (I think there is a windows 7 specific option in the general settings tab - I cant check that quickly as I don't have any windows 7 systems to check it on).
--[ Phil ]--
Doubleclick
New User

Post by Doubleclick »

I'm sorry, there's no OSD overlay or similar setting anywhere in "Settings". Without any keys mapped it's just sitting there with 12,536K of used RAM reported in Task Manager.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Well that is certainly odd, on my (windows 10) system with 20 profiles set up, it sat at 4MB with the setup window closed, and it goes up to 6MB when the setup screen is opened (dropping slightly after closing it, but now all the way back down to 4MB because I guess the MS MFC system libraries XMBC depends on will keep some stuff in memory for the next time it is needed. However, 12MB is still miles less than the >50MB many other tools (Logitech) sit using. So not a massive problem (unless you have very limited RAM I guess!).

The OSD options may not be applicable to Windows XP. I thought it was *only* applicable to XP but maybe I'm getting confused, and its for Windows 7 only. It maybe Windows 7 minimum, its so old I cant remember to be honest, and I've not got any access to XP systems to test it on these days. I'd have to have a trawl through the code, and I'm away for the next 12 days with limited access to my stuff at home, so that wont be a quick process.
--[ Phil ]--
Doubleclick
New User

Post by Doubleclick »

Thank you anyway. I understand you're busy, you'll get to it when you can. ß33 works well though.