Horizontal scrolling

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Jid10
New User

Horizontal scrolling

Post by Jid10 »

XMBC Version: 2.20.5
Installed or Portable version: Portable version
Windows Version: Windows 10 Professionnal
Mouse Information (brand/model): Logitech MX Anywhere 2S
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): AMD Ryzen 7 7730U with Radeon Graphics 2.00 GHz / RAM 16Go

Hi all,

First, I want to apologise in advance for my very bad english.
I want also to thank Phil for this software that is really great and very useful.

I have a problem to configure the horizontal scroll on my mouse.
The Logitech MX Anywhere 2S has a tilt wheel (right/left) for horizontal scrolling.
These 2 buttons are well recognized by XMBC = when I click on the both tilt wheel (right and left), the scrolling menus are highlighted in orange for "Tilt Wheel Right" and "Tilt Wheel Left".

My request is very simple, how can we map these 2 buttons so that :
- The Tilt Wheel Right permits me to scroll horizontally to the right
- The Tilt Wheel Left permits me to scroll horizontally to the left

Thanks a lot,
Best regards,
phil
Site Admin

Re: Horizontal scrolling

Post by phil »

The default action for horizontal wheel left/right is to scroll left/right - is that not working (when left as default, "No Change (Don't Intercept)")?
I don't understand why you would want to make it do what it does by default (without XMBC)?!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
Jid10
New User

Post by Jid10 »

Thanks Phil for your reply.

I confirm to you that the left/right scrolling does not work when clicking on the Tilt Wheel Right/Left, neither on Excel, or PDF, or Google Chrome etc.

Just to be sure that it is clear for you, my mouse hase a unique wheel for scrolling vertically (up/down) but it should permit also to scroll horizontally (left/right) by tilting the wheel.

But I can confirm that the horizontal scrolling does not work.

Thanks for your help.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Even without XMBC running? (that is a key question!)
Sometimes the Logitech mice need reconfiguring with the Logitech software as the tilt wheel can be blocked/reconfigured at a lower level. And also, sometimes, the Logitech software interferes, I have a G604 mouse that uses G-Hub software. That software can cause XMBC not to see the horizontal scroll (but it does still work to scroll in applications like Edge, Acrobat reader, excel etc. when XMBC running or not, it just cant be remapped in XMBC when G-Hub is running).

Do you have the Logitech software installed? If so what software is it?

NOTE: If the XMBC button mapping drop-down boxes do not highlight in ORANGE when you press the tilt the wheel left/right then XMBC is not seeing the messages so you need to figure out why (probably by changing the Logitech settings - but it seems to be difference for every mouse so I can't say exactly what, or if your using G-Hub, try exiting it and see if XMBC then highlights in orange when tilting).
--[ Phil ]--
Jid10
New User

Post by Jid10 »

Hi Phil,

First, I wish you the best for 2024, the health above all.

Thanks for your reply.
I will explain you the whole history so that you can understand my problem :

On my previous laptop, I had the software "Logi Options+" installed. By default, I confirm that the tilt wheel (left/right) is not configured for horizontal scrolling. I had to configure it by myself but it was easy and it worked fine once configured.

On my new professional laptop, I am not able to install the software "Logi Options+" for security reasons. That is why I am turning to your solution, as an alternative to the official software of Logitech. I confirm that :
- XMBC is the only mouse configuration software installed
- the XMBC button mapping drop-down boxes highlight in ORANGE when I press the tilt wheel left/right (that's a good point !)
Despite these 2 points, the tilt wheel (left/right) buttons have no action, whether on Excel, Chrome or Acrobat Reader.

Thanks for your help,
Jid
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I wonder if its because its the portable version - that has limitations, especially operating with elevated processes (although I'd be surprised if your running excel elevated??!!)

In order to run as an accessibility tool, XMBC itself has to be run from a folder under Program Files (which requires elevate to place there) so the portable version does not, by default, run as an accessibility tool and thus can not interact with all processes. That's the only difference really between portable and installed, but it *may* be key here.
--[ Phil ]--
Jid10
New User

Post by Jid10 »

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your reply.

No, I don't use an "elevated" version of Excel, it's a basic use (Excel 2016 - 32 bits).

Contrary to what I told you previously, by default the horizontal scrolling works fine by using the tilt wheel (left/right) buttons on Chrome and Acrobat Reader ! But it does not work on Excel, I don't understand why ???

As above mentioned, the XMBC button mapping drop-down boxes highlight in ORANGE when I press the tilt wheel left/right, it means that these 2 buttons are well recognized ! If so, logically I just need to find the good keys combination (or the good configuration amoung the different suggestions on the drop-down boxes) to tell the system "When I click on the tilt wheel righ button, scroll horizontally to the right".

But how can I translate this action in XMBC ==> "scrool horizontally to the right" ?

Thanks for your help,
Jid10
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Excel does scroll for me but default (with & without XMBC running) but I have Office 2022 so a bit newer. I seem to remember that Excel used to behave weirdly with horizontal scroll and maybe this is what you are seeing. You could try setting up a profile for Excel and changing the advanced window scrolling options on the profile's scrolling tab), I suspect "Method 1" is the best bet, or maybe method 4?!
This applies to both horizontal and vertical, but seems to work correctly in Excel for me (but differently from how it works normally). Certainly worth a try.

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--