Making the 6th button to be recognized as 5th button and vice versa

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
gruby
New User

Making the 6th button to be recognized as 5th button and vice versa

Post by gruby »

Hi everyone,

Is there a way for XMBC to recognize the DPI button as the 5th button and the 5th button as the DPI button? I'd love to switch these two, as the DPI button is in much more comfortable position than the real 5th button and I'm used to using that. I'm on Windows 10 and using Logitech MX Vertical - it has 5 buttons and the additional DPI button, which is obviously not visible in XMBC, as it must be the 6th button. I don't mind losing the 5th button if I can make use of the DPI button instead.

Also - if I somehow manage to switch the DPI and 5th buttons, would it affect the other mouse that I use for gaming? It's Logitech M705 and it would be best not to switch its buttons, but I can live with that, if necessary.

BTW, I stopped using Logitech Options (and Options+) because it kept crashing all the time and nothing really helped (plus the new software doesn't work with my other mouse and vice versa, so it's a total mess).
phil
Site Admin

Re: Making the 6th button to be recognized as 5th button and vice versa

Post by phil »

No. The DPI button is *usually* a hard wired button on the mouse to switch DPI 0=- it does not send anything to the host computer, so it can not be seen or remapped.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
gruby
New User

Post by gruby »

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll need to get used to the new setting, then.
Although I could easily customize this button when I used Logitech software, so that's a bit weird.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Logitech nice are a little different, in that it’s not hard wired in the mouse, but is can only be seen by the Logitech software - the button does not make it through to the windows mouse message queues, so XMBC can not see it, unless you change it in the Logitech software, but the Logitech software would probably have to stay running (not always - sometimes the mouse itself remembers the configuration)
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
gruby
New User

Post by gruby »

Well, the Logitech software is the reason I'm here at all, so I'm just going to leave it as it is. I'm actually starting to get used to that, so it'll be fine in a couple of days ;).
Thanks for your help. I think we can close this thread.