Defining Window Regions in Chrome (and other programs)

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
MoonShadow1911
New User

Defining Window Regions in Chrome (and other programs)

Post by MoonShadow1911 »

Please fill in this template when posting!
XMBC Version: v2.20.5
Installed or Portable version: Installed
How long have you used XMBC?: About 3 hours

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).: This isn't about a problem per se, it's more about "how do you do this".

So, I have XMBC setup and working the way I want it to (emulating the mouse in Linux). Meaning it copies highlighted text to the clipboard and pastes it with the middle click. This part works great. Now for the funky part: In Chrome (I haven't tried this in Edge yet), when I right click on the tab I want to close, it also pastes the clipboard into the next active Chrome window, which would be okay, unless I have the web based version of Word, Excel, etc open in the next tab, then the contents of the clipboard is pasted into the document at the point where the cursor is.

I've sort of figured out how to block this by using the Window Regions selection. I have zn XBMC profile that has eveything as ** No Change (Don't intercept) ** which works great, except when I try to middle click and paste something in the URL field. Then, for obvious reasons to me (becuase it isn't defined), it doesn't paste anything into the URL field. The middle click to paste works below the bookmarks and URL field and tabs, because the Window Regions selection isn't active for that part of the Chrome window.

So, my question is this: Is there any way to "highlight" the area that XBMC utilizes as a Window Region, for instance, a box within a box. In Chrome, the top "bar" is class: Intermediate D3D Window and the Parent Class is Chrome_WidgetWin_1. Unfortunately, it encompasses the entire top bar, the tabs, URL field, extension/addon icons, etc. Programatically, I don't think there is a way to isolate the URLfield within Chrome to be excluded from the WindowRegions settings.

Hopefully this make sense to you, Phil. Thanks!
nikolausricky
New User

Re: Defining Window Regions in Chrome (and other programs)

Post by nikolausricky »

Seems like you've configured the middle click to copy and paste highlighted text using XMBC, which is a Linux mouse emulator. On the other hand, if you're using web-based Office applications like Word or Excel, right-clicking on a tab in Chrome also copies the clipboard and pastes it into the next active Chrome window. This behavior could lead to problems.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Defining Window Regions in Chrome (and other programs)

Post by phil »

MoonShadow1911 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:01 pm So, I have XMBC setup and working the way I want it to (emulating the mouse in Linux). Meaning it copies highlighted text to the clipboard and pastes it with the middle click. This part works great. Now for the funky part: In Chrome (I haven't tried this in Edge yet), when I right click on the tab I want to close, it also pastes the clipboard into the next active Chrome window, which would be okay, unless I have the web based version of Word, Excel, etc open in the next tab, then the contents of the clipboard is pasted into the document at the point where the cursor is.
How have you done this? What are the buttons set to? I don't understand why right click would do anything if you have only setup middle click (and maybe left click???). Please state your button settings for each button to hopefully make it clearer what you are doing!
MoonShadow1911 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:01 pm I've sort of figured out how to block this by using the Window Regions selection. I have zn XBMC profile that has eveything as ** No Change (Don't intercept) ** which works great, except when I try to middle click and paste something in the URL field. Then, for obvious reasons to me (becuase it isn't defined), it doesn't paste anything into the URL field. The middle click to paste works below the bookmarks and URL field and tabs, because the Window Regions selection isn't active for that part of the Chrome window.

So, my question is this: Is there any way to "highlight" the area that XBMC utilizes as a Window Region, for instance, a box within a box. In Chrome, the top "bar" is class: Intermediate D3D Window and the Parent Class is Chrome_WidgetWin_1. Unfortunately, it encompasses the entire top bar, the tabs, URL field, extension/addon icons, etc. Programatically, I don't think there is a way to isolate the URLfield within Chrome to be excluded from the WindowRegions settings.
Im not really clear what you mean by highlight in this case? Are you talking about while you define the profile? Or all the time, having a visual indicator on the screen (showing the area of chrome that may contain a profile), or when the mouse is over the area in chrome? None of those are currently possible, and probably not possible (or certainly not easy) but I'd like to understand what you mean so I can think about what might be needed!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)