Sticky Left Click with a Delay

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
TheCyborgManatee
New User

Sticky Left Click with a Delay

Post by TheCyborgManatee »

XMBC Version: 2.20.5
Installed or Portable version: Installed
Windows Version: Windows 10 22H2
Mouse Information (brand/model): see below
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): no
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): no
How long have you used XMBC?: new
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: en/en

I'm completely new to this program and despite looking through the manual, FAQ, and forums, I haven't been able to get anything to work. Truth be told, I'm not very good at this but I have given it a college try. I even experimented with Button Held Time-Dependent Actions to no avail. Due to a physical disability, I have been looking for a method to hold down the left mouse button and drag after a couple of moments of holding it down and then release it when I click it again. With this program I've only been able to get it to immediately do that but I really need like a two or three second delay before holding down the left mouse button and releasing it when I click again.

Normally I just use the built-in Click Lock setting that Windows comes with and that has worked in 95% of the scenarios I need it in. For whatever reason, Baldur's Gate 3 (the program/game I'm trying to use) doesn't accept that whatsoever and it's needed. I think this program is capable of it, but I obviously need some direction there.

Also, I didn't answer the mouse question because my situation is unique in that regard. The Windows system recognizes it as a R-net Bluetooth Mouse Module. Essentially, the joystick on the powered wheelchair I use is connected to my PC via Bluetooth and enables me to control the mouse. I can left click, right-click, and scroll up and down. It works exactly like a very basic mouse and the only thing I can't do is click something and move the mouse simultaneously, which is why I need to use something like Click Lock.

Anyways, thanks to anybody that can help. I apologize for getting a bit wordy.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Sticky Left Click with a Delay

Post by phil »

Hi,

My first thought that may be a problem... Many games block XMBC and the SendInput API that it uses because they consider tools like XMBC to be cheating. I completely get that in your case, this is not the case, but unfortunately many games use this sledgehammer approach.

That being said, if you have been unable to get this working out side of the game too, maybe there is a genuine problem or configuration error. From your description, it does sound like the button held timed actions would be most appropriate, in that you can control how long you need the button pressed for the click lock to become active. The problem with button held timed actions, is that it, by design, has to interfere with the mouse queue and then inject depending on what you do, so it will always fall foul of the first problem in games that block XMBC).

What exactly have you tried? Maybe you could send me a copy of your profile so I can have a look see (and see if there is anything I can improve). I confess I haven't tested te button held with the click lock function so there is a genuine possibility that there is a problem in XMBC with the logic for that one - in that case I will need to investigate the code and see if it can be fixed.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
TheCyborgManatee
New User

I've actually gotten the button held timed actions to work sometimes and I'm not really sure why. But for the record, I'm just trying to get it to work on the desktop at the moment and haven't even tried with BG3 yet. And in case it was unclear, I'm not trying to get this to work with the Windows click lock setting active, just something in lieu of that which can essentially simulate the same function. I don't think I can post files on the forum yet, so what's the best way to send you a copy of my profile?

Also, this particular game isn't a competitive multiplayer one or a MMO so I suspect it's less likely they would be blocking the XMBC tool than in other games, but obviously not impossible either. I am aware that this stuff can be finicky with games though. Interestingly, there is a setting that references XMBC in the game. I can't post a screenshot of it but it's called Longer Press and Hold and the description of it is "Enable to increase the time to activate any press and hold mouse button action. This makes it easier to use dragging actions with a sticky button binding in external software such as X-Mouse Button Control." I don't know if that's relevant here, but I figured I would mention it just in case.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK I removed the attachment limit (normally required 5 posts) on your account so you can attach files now - or simply send them in a private message to me (should work even with the post limits)

Wow - the game actually references XMBC? That's kinda cool and a good sign that the game dev's are happy with its use :).
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
TheCyborgManatee
New User

The profile I have been working with should be attached to this post.

And yeah, it's cool to see a program like this referenced in a game. Considering that, I don't think they deliberately have done anything to stop programs like XMBC but I know from using AHK scripts that some games just don't get along with third-party programs even without anti-cheat software. Just gotta play with it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.