Windows forgets "show location of pointer when I press the control key"

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
hucker
New User

Windows forgets "show location of pointer when I press the control key"

Post by hucker »

XMBC Version: 2.19.2
Windows Version: 11 Pro
Mouse Information (brand/model): Basic dell wired mouse
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): Ryzen 9 3900XT, 96GB RAM
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): No, have not upgraded Xmouse recently.
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): Possible, they update without my permission.
How long have you used XMBC?: Years
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: English UK

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:Every so often (about every 2 days), Windows forgets I've ticked "show location of pointer when I press the control key" in the windows control panel (see attachment). I can't see any setting like this in Xmouse, but wondered if Xmouse was somehow switching it off? Can I control that setting from Xmouse instead?

phil
Site Admin

Re: Windows forgets "show location of pointer when I press the control key"

Post by phil »

No, you can not control that setting through XMBC - and I doubt XMBC is causing windows to loose it, but I admit, I don't use it, so I guess it may be possible. I will turn it on here and see if it turns itself off!

For what its worth, I use MS Power Toys which has a shake mouse gesture to highlight cursor (which I was considering copying for XMBC :))

EDIT: Tell a lie, I do indeed have that option turned on on My Windows 10 machine - and its been of for ages so its not turning off automatically, that's for sure. I will keep an eye on it, but maybe its a Windows 11 issue (so I will have to try that on my 11 laptop).
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
hucker
New User

Post by hucker »

Thanks for the power toys, I didn't know about the mouse thing in there. I've set it to press ctrl twice. The spotlight thing it does is way better than the pool of water animation. 5 screens is a big area to find a cursor in!

Had to download it from Github because as per usual the MS Store is broken.

Why does my powertoys say (preview) after it in the start menu?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I'm not sure, but I think the github version is ahead of the store release - and probably therefore labeled as a "preview" release - but either way, its a great little collection of tools that most people have never heard of!

The mouse highlighter/spotlight thingy in particular is great, and particularly with multiple machines and remote desktop (with powertoys on each, with a different highlight tint colour :)) - and some of the other things in that package are great too (and should be part of Windows IMHO!). I was an avid fan of the original powertoys (way back when - Windows 98 through XP maybe) so its good to see them back again!
--[ Phil ]--
hucker
New User

Post by hucker »

Yes I used to use powertoys a lot back then, can't remember for what, but haven't had the need till now.

I have remote desktops, and have never found way to not get confused where instructions (especially keyboard) are going!

I hate the way Windows did away with the very simple window in focus having a completely different coloured title bar. I don't suppose you know a way to make that come back, for all apps. It seems there are so many ways an app can work nowadays, only some of them take changes you set. All my apps have completely random colours for title bars. Sometimes the Windows colour, sometimes their own, sometimes some weird accent colour, sometimes they change in the foreground sometimes not, but never the same as each other!
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

No I’m afraid I don’t - and I completely get your frustration it used to be so much clearer!
--[ Phil ]--