Middle Button for scrolling and clicking

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
userT
New User

Middle Button for scrolling and clicking

Post by userT »

Hi everyone,

I am a new user to XMBC and I hope you can support me.

XMBC Version: 2.20.5
Installed or Portable version: Portable
Windows Version: Windows 10 22H2
Mouse Information (brand/model): ELAN Trackpoint
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): no
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): no
How long have you used XMBC?: new
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: de/en

I like to use my middle button of my trackpoint for scrolling and middle mouse (open tabs). As this ist not directly possible anymore because of driver limitations, I start to use XMBC. Therefore, I set the ELAN driver in the modus of 'middle mouse'. In XMBC, I changed 'middle mouse' to Change Movement to Scroll' with the default action (no movement) to 'Middle Click'. For most cases this work fine. However, in some cases, e.g. the task manager scrolling is not possible. How can I activate scrolling in these application as well?
phil
Site Admin

Re: Middle Button for scrolling and clicking

Post by phil »

I'm afraid that is a limitation of the portable version.
XMBC works as a keyboard accessibility tool when properly installed (under the "c:\program files\..." folder). This means that it can interact with elevated processes such as task manager, without itself running as administrator.

There are two options...
1. Use the fully installed version which will then allow XMBC to correctly run as an accexxability tool (Thank Microsoft for that requirment!)
2. Run XMBC Portable as adminiatrator (and put up with the UAC promptevery time you run it).
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
userT
New User

Post by userT »

Perfect, thanks. This is working.

I misunderstood the access management a bit. I thought administrator is only required for administrator processes. However, that makes sense so I will probably do a full installation.

Best regards
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Well yes, generally administrator is only required for admin things.. But task manager (for instance) is an admin thing that requires admin level (UAC Elevation)...

And (obviously) by default, Windows blocks non-admin processes from controlling admin processes by default (that makes 100% sense most of the time). The exception is a special category of software, "accessibility tools" - like the on screen keyboard, and tools such as XMBC. They are allowed to control admin processes even though they are not admin processes, but only if they follow the "strict" rules.

The primary rules being....

1. They have to be digitally signed with a valid software signing certificate (which means they are traceable, block-able by revoking the certificate etc.) and out of reach by casual developers because it costs money for the certificate (not an awful lot - I think my cert is about €50 a year).

2. The software has to be installed under the program files folder OR the \windows\system32 folder - no exceptions!

3. An accessibility tool (I believe) does not have the ability to access the "secure desktop", that being the login/lock screen or the CTRL+ALT+DEL screen - so XMBC will never remap buttons on those screens IIRC. I dont think even running it as admin will work there, because effectivle those "secure desktop" screens are running is a seperate session/user context.

So while the portable (and installed) versions are signed with a suitable digital signing certificate, the portable version is unlikely to be running from the \program files or \windows\system32 folder (although I guess that is a 3rd option but defeats the purpose of "portable"). Where as the installed version (by default) is installed to \program files\... (although the installer allows you to change this - which also breaks the accessibility option too - so it probably shouldn't allow you to change it lol.

Of course, running XMBC elevated (as admin) means it is also an admin process and can thus control anything - but that's really not a great solution from a general security point of view. Far better to be not admin but have the ability to interact with admin processes.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)