Simulated Keystrokes Button drop-down list could utilize changes explained in Manual

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Lores
Dedicated

Simulated Keystrokes Button drop-down list could utilize changes explained in Manual

Post by Lores »

On page 8 of the Manual it s nicely explained that from he available

9 methods available for sending your assigned keystroke

methods

4. Threaded Press (Same as 1*)
5. Threaded Release (Same as 2*)

are

As of version 2.10 [...] are identical to methods 1 and 2 [...] ('As mouse button is pressed' and 'As mouse button is released'). They remain in the list for backwards compatibility.

I propose thus renaming them in the drop-down list in X-MBC from

In another thread a mouse buton is pressed
In another thread a mouse buton is released

to

In another thread a mouse buton is pressed (same as method 1 since v. 2.10)
In another thread a mouse buton is pressed (same as method 2 since v. 2.10)

And also maybe, in some distant future release, just convert automatically all user chosen methods 4 and 5 to 1 and 2 when a Profile containing them is loaded and rename them to

(obsolete since v. 2.10 - use method 1)
(obsolete since v. 2.10 - use method 2)

while also automatically do use method 1 and 2 when hey are nevertheless chosen by a user?

What happens now, when user chooses 4 or 5- they are indeed chosen, so that they can be utilized in versions below verson 2.10? Such approach might seem good- but for how many years is a niche promille of users, which for whatever reasons are using much older version of a program, can expect to be accommodated for by having the ability to export a file produced by a current version and have I running in their time-machine-themed computer? Afer all there are options in 2.20 Beta 10 and enacted limitations which are not present in version 2.19 - so that is somewhat an inconsistent approach
phil
Site Admin

Re: Simulated Keystrokes Button drop-down list could utilize changes explained in Manual

Post by phil »

These are such little issues, I am really not going to waste any more time on it.

If you select 4, it does exactly the same as 1. If you select 5, it does the same as 2.
Sure, I could remove them, but the amount of code requiring changing to do that simply makes it not worth my while. It is perfectly functional as it is and there are more important things to worry about in XMBC and in life in general. I suggest you, like everyone else, learn to live with it, or find some other software to do this instead. I'm afraid I'm over all these petty little things.

I don't know what you expect from a free piece of software, but I'd like to see you get the amount of support out of, Microsoft (for example), as you have from me in the last two weeks (assuming you pay them the same as XMBC costs of course (nothing)). One day, I expect XMBC will be open sourced, at which point you will be able to fork it and do with it as you wish. May be then you will understand the amount of effort involved. Until then, I'm afraid you will have to live with it, and the things I can change, in the timescales I decide.

This week I have spent more time on XMBC than in the last year combined I think. I used to enjoy spending time on XMBC particularly when I first started it 15+ years ago. These days its more a chore than a pleasure, which is why its more difficult to justify spending what little time I have available on it, but I still do, occasionally. And when I do, all I get is constant badgering. Ive had enough.

I'm going to get 2.20 beta 11 out later today, and then hopefully, if I can get some translations updated, push for release of that (if nothing major is found) hopefully by the weekend. Then I'm going into hibernation again!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
Lores
Dedicated

Re: Simulated Keystrokes Button drop-down list could utilize changes explained in Manual

Post by Lores »

Well sir, if you do not like getting suggestions, requests, bug reports and various general questions, then close this forum

Otherwise it is an invitation for such input - to which you can choose whatever responds you like or ar a lack of thereof
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I don't mind the input, its the implied expectation of answers and fixes, and the shear amount of them that is my problem!
Maybe you do not expect me to answer every post - and if that is the case, fine!
--[ Phil ]--
Lores
Dedicated

Post by Lores »

phil wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:41 pm [...]
Maybe you do not expect me to answer every post
I never said I did

I see something subjectively bad or objectively missing in a program I intend to use a lot- I speak up. Otherwise, how am I to expect for something to be done about it or know, it it has been noticed? I can go through options once I get to know a program a little bit, read the help file and / or manual, and try to search the forum for topics about it- and if I do not find what I am looking for or confirm my initial ill-findings, am I to keep it to myself thus throw out the already spent time?

As I said: if there is a contact with author or authors- I report. But what happens next is not up to me
Last edited by Lores on Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Fair enough - apologies!
--[ Phil ]--
Lores
Dedicated

Post by Lores »

phil wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:40 pm These are such little issues, I am really not going to waste any more time on it.

If you select 4, it does exactly the same as 1. If you select 5, it does the same as 2.
Sure, I could remove them, but the amount of code requiring changing to do that simply makes it not worth my while. It is perfectly functional as it is and there are more important things to worry about in XMBC and in life in general
[...]
But users, who will not read he Manual or forget about about it [and they probably will], when something will not be working for them will waste time on trying out 4 and 5

Thus please re-consider just renaming those two entries to

In another thread a mouse buton is pressed (same as method 1)
In another thread a mouse buton is pressed (same as method 2)

as I think there is enough space for that in that drop down menu, thus I recon it would not require much change of code
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I'll add it to the list, but it certainly wont be getting into 2.20!
--[ Phil ]--
Lores
Dedicated

Post by Lores »

Are here any chance of implementing this info in version 2.20.6?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

No, not in 2.20( including all the 2.20.x sub releases) as I said previously!

The 2.20.x releases are for major show stoppers. Important things and regressions from the prior version (more like for example the other issues you posted like not loading profiles - that might be worth an emergency patch - I will work that out once I have a little time to look).

Generally any GUI changes are in a new full release (that is in this case 2.21) but I am reluctant to commit to any particular change in any version (esp such minor things like a duplicate setting which actually is not a problem other than maybe a little "whats the difference" type question - its not breaking anything! There are more important things in life and in XMBC to worry about, and I the more I age, and the less free time I have for XMBC, the more I am minded to remember the phrase "perfection is the enemy of good"!
--[ Phil ]--