Trigger XMouse Action via Keyboard?

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
ab2023
New User

Trigger XMouse Action via Keyboard?

Post by ab2023 »

Please fill in this template when posting!
XMBC Version: 2.21 Beta 19
Installed or Portable version: Installed
Windows Version: 11
Mouse Information (brand/model): Kensington Slimblade Pro

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:

Hello, I'm looking at using a keyboard shortcut to trigger the "Change movement-to-scroll" action at the current cursor location. I've experimented with various ways of achieving this, including using AHK to simulate a mouse-button click, but it was quite faffy and I was wondering if there's an easier way to achieve it.

The reason I'm looking to set it up is that I am using software that has a different scroll behaviour depending on a modifier key that is held, and so rather than having to hold the modifier key and click the correct mouse button it feels cleaner to be able to map a key to achieve the same behaviour.

Many thanks
phil
Site Admin

Re: Trigger XMouse Action via Keyboard?

Post by phil »

Sorry, XMBC does not do any keyboard remapping in that way, so it can't do this, nor can it be easily/quickly changed to do this as it is designed to manage/remap the mouse and not keyboard keys.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I suppose I could add a global hotkey to do this, or a layer modifier key...
No promises as its not an insignificant about of work, but what would you want?
1. A layer modifier key would (which work while the key was physically held down)
2. A global hotkey (which would work like a toggle (on/off))
--[ Phil ]--
ab2023
New User

Post by ab2023 »

Hey Phil, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Given that it's a significant amount of work I think it's much more fair that I find a monkey-patch for my uncommon use case! I'll keep looking.

One thing that I couldn't get my head around was why a simulated click from AHK wouldn't trigger the action that it was mapped to in XMBC. Do you know if this is expected? Perhaps it's a misconfig on my side. Cheers
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

XMBC ignores simulated clicks if it sends them itself, but it should not be ignoring simulated clicks form AHK.
If you turn on debug logging in XMBC (OK and APPLY it) and then send your AHK injected click, the XMBC log may give (me) some idea why it is not working - either it does not see it at all, or its being ignored for some reason.

Send me a copy of the log, along with the time you sent the simulated click and I'll have a quick look and see if there is anything obvious!
--[ Phil ]--